Speaker Cabinet Rebuild question . . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Cabinet Rebuild question . . .

theshiggarfraggar
08-06-2004, 08:28 PM
I was wondering

1) What type of sound-absorbing material specifically should be used inside the cabinet? Is more necessarily better?

2) What specific product should i use to seal the woofer(s) and tweeter(s) to the cabinet? Is there some type of sealing tape or something you are supposed to use in conjunction with the mounting screws?

3) What type of specific glue should be used to glue the cabinet together? Right now i have a bottle of titebond2 premium wood glue which seems like it should work alright but i want to make sure that there isn't a better glue out there i should be using.

4) does anyone have any website links or references that could help me in my cabinet rebuild? Thanks.

matt39
08-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Try diyaudio.com and audiokarma.org.

poneal
08-09-2004, 12:28 PM
1. No more is not better.
2. Polyfill works well. You can buy from Hobby store.
3.TiteBond II is fine.
4. Here is a link to many projects with different cabinet designs:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.html

ranbunctious
08-20-2004, 08:21 PM
I've used regular fiberglass insulation, but poly fill is good. Most manufacturers used plain old elmer's glue......so do I. No, you don't need any sealant for the speakers. You might, however use the nuts that have the nylon inserts that won't vibrate & come loose. Make sure the positive wires go to the positive terminal on the speakers, and the negative wire goes to the negative post. This is VERY important. If you're not sure, or the speaker is not labeled, here's a neat trick. Using a 9 volt battery, put the battery on the terminals. If the speaker moves forward when you touch the battery to it, then it's correct. If it pulls inward, it's wrong. Just look at the battery terminals to see which is positive & negative when you have it right.