Album you've bought the most times? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Album you've bought the most times?

N. Abstentia
08-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Today while ordering the new remaster of Queensryche's Empire, I stopped to think how many albums I've bought multiple copies of.

So far, I have 4 versions of Empire:
Initial CD release.
Gold DCC release.
DVD-Audio
New remaster.

Next up is Moving Pictures and Signals by Rush, each with 5:
Vinyl
Cassette
Initial CD
MFSL CD
Recent remasters.

If they ever bring Rush to DVD-A/SACD, I'm sure Pictures will be first so that will make 6!

DarrenH
08-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Tull - Aqualung
Original Reprise MS-2035 LP
Utimate Box Set: Includes picture LP and 25th anniversary CD along with song book.
MFSL vinyl
DCC vinyl (still sealed)
DCC gold CD
25th Anniversary CD remaster (sucks to most people)
25th Anniversary vinyl edition

Tull - Thick As A Brick
Original Reprise MS-2072 LP
MFSL vinyl
EMI 100 Centenary vinyl (1997)
MFSL CD
EMI 100 Centenary deluxe CD edition
Chrysalis Remaster (1997)

and on and on and on

Dave_G
08-07-2004, 04:21 AM
Oh Darren,

quit lying.

You have about 50 copies of every Tull album!

Dave

ForeverAutumn
08-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Vinyl
Cassette
Initial CD
MFSL CD
Recent remasters.

If they ever bring Rush to DVD-A/SACD, I'm sure Pictures will be first so that will make 6!

I find the sound quality on my original release Rush CDs to be pretty good and have been hesitant to spend the money to replace them. Are the remasters worth the extra dough?

Thanks,
FA

kexodusc
08-07-2004, 05:19 AM
Here's mine:

Queensryche
Operation: Mindcrime
Lost CD twice, stolen once...I'm on my fourth now.

Megadeth: Rust In Peace (yeah, I'm a sucker for old school metal I guess)
Bought 1 tape and 2 cd's...

Pink Floyd: Dark side of the moon
Vinyl, CD, Tape, SACD...guess that's 4 times, bought the record for a novelty, haven't listened to it yet, but I think that counts.

Replaced alot of tapes and records with CD's, but I won't count those.
Hmmm, think that's it actually...guess I get good wear out of my albums.

N. Abstentia
08-07-2004, 05:55 AM
I find the sound quality on my original release Rush CDs to be pretty good and have been hesitant to spend the money to replace them. Are the remasters worth the extra dough?

Thanks,
FA

Yeah the Rush remasters are a HUGE improvement, they were definitely worth it to me as I'm a huge Rush fan. The remasters even leave the MFSL CD's in the dust.

ForeverAutumn
08-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Yeah the Rush remasters are a HUGE improvement, they were definitely worth it to me as I'm a huge Rush fan. The remasters even leave the MFSL CD's in the dust.

Hmmmm. Good to know. Thanks.

nobody
08-07-2004, 11:26 AM
For some reason, my Bob Dylan: Blood on then Tracks records alway seems to drop out of my hands. I've dropped and scratched beyond playability about three copies of that one. I'm on my fourth now I think.

I seldom buy multiple versions of things. There are a few titles, like London Calling I know off hand, and I'm sure something or else that I have on both CD and vinyl, but generally, I try to stick to one copy of anything. Too much I don't have yet to keep going with multiple copies of the same thing.

DarrenH
08-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Oh Darren,

quit lying.

You have about 50 copies of every Tull album!

Dave

:D :D :D :D :D

WmAx
08-07-2004, 05:29 PM
I'm afriad I have taken extremely good care of the majority of my collection. As a result, I have never had to replace anything. The only redundant purchase I've made is not exactly redundant: I once purchased a CD version of an album(Megadeth:Rust In Peace) I had not heard in many years, but my previous copy was a on cassette tape, so I'm not sure this even counts! :-)

I am going to replace Siouxsie and the Banshees: Tinderbox as this is one CD that has incurred signficant surface damage and will not rip correctly on either of the two CD-ROM drives I have tried or play correctly in any player that I have tried.

-Chris

Today while ordering the new remaster of Queensryche's Empire, I stopped to think how many albums I've bought multiple copies of.

So far, I have 4 versions of Empire:
Initial CD release.
Gold DCC release.
DVD-Audio
New remaster.

Vinyl
Cassette
Initial CD
MFSL CD
Recent remasters.

DPM
08-09-2004, 08:10 AM
...and in with a newer version of the old.

Jethro Tull/Aqualung--
1) Copy on mid-seventies vinyl = crappola sound.
2) Mobile Fidelity vinyl = Decent sound, but this wasn't created using the original master tape.
3) Original CD pressing = Crappola sound and they cut the ending on Wind Up.
4) Second CD pressing = Slightly improved sound and restored ending. (Mike Bone--then head of Chrysalis--allowed owners of the original CD to trade it in for the new version.)
5) 25th Anniversary edition = Again, there's slightly improved sound, and again, the original master tape wasn't used. Instead, a first generation copy of said master was mistakenly thought to be the actual master.
6) DCC Gold edition = FINALLY, someone got it right. This was manufactured using Ian Anderson's personal master. Unless a remix is performed, this is about as good as Aqualung will ever sound.

Pink Floyd/Dark Side Of The Moon--
1) Copy on late-seventies vinyl
2) Mobile Fidelity vinyl half-speed
3) Import CD from U.K.
4) Domestic CD remaster from early ninties
5) SACD hybrid

David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust---
1) Mobile Fidelity vinyl half-speed
2) Rykodisk CD from the eighties
3) Remaster CD from the ninties
4) SACD hybrid

Other titles I've purchased four copies of over the years.
1) Led Zeppelin II
2) Roxy Music/Avalon
3) Rush 2112

Dave M