Happy happy joy joy! Ren & Stimpy coming to DVD! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Happy happy joy joy! Ren & Stimpy coming to DVD!

Woochifer
08-06-2004, 02:48 PM
And this promises to be the actual uncut versions of the original John K. Ren & Stimpy episodes. All of the home video versions of R&S that I've seen thus far have included the edited versions that Nickelodeon put out after the initial broadcast (like the infamous Magical Nose Goblins that were only shown in their full grossout glory once).

After reading the news, I am all over this one! IMO, Ren & Stimpy was a classic landmark in animation, and one of the most, if not the most, ingenious and inventive (not to mention sick and hilarious) cartoon series ever. To truly appreciate the impact of Ren & Stimpy, you have to recall the state of TV animation at the time R&S first went on the air. Aside from The Simpsons, most other animation was just dreary and lame product-driven garbage. Stuff like Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, and G.I. Joe dominated the airwaves, and for the most part it was derivative, unoriginal, and antiseptic stuff. Truly horrible, especially compared to the classic cartoons from the likes of Tex Avery, Jay Ward, and Bob Clampett.

And into this creative vacuum, John K. gave us "Space Madness," "Nurse Stimpy," "Robin Hoek," and the all-time classic "Stimpy's Invention". A concept as twisted as the Happy Helmet was like an oasis in that sea of gawdawful animation in the 80s.

This DVD will have audio commentaries and a documentary. If this edition restores the Magical Nose Goblins and the unedited antics of Powdered Toast Man, it will truly be a happy occasion!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1925

kexodusc
08-07-2004, 05:23 AM
Awesome, wonder if you can buy "Log" now...
"It's big, It's heavy, It's wood..."

Worf101
08-11-2004, 12:34 PM
And this promises to be the actual uncut versions of the original John K. Ren & Stimpy episodes. All of the home video versions of R&S that I've seen thus far have included the edited versions that Nickelodeon put out after the initial broadcast (like the infamous Magical Nose Goblins that were only shown in their full grossout glory once).

After reading the news, I am all over this one! IMO, Ren & Stimpy was a classic landmark in animation, and one of the most, if not the most, ingenious and inventive (not to mention sick and hilarious) cartoon series ever. To truly appreciate the impact of Ren & Stimpy, you have to recall the state of TV animation at the time R&S first went on the air. Aside from The Simpsons, most other animation was just dreary and lame product-driven garbage. Stuff like Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, and G.I. Joe dominated the airwaves, and for the most part it was derivative, unoriginal, and antiseptic stuff. Truly horrible, especially compared to the classic cartoons from the likes of Tex Avery, Jay Ward, and Bob Clampett.

And into this creative vacuum, John K. gave us "Space Madness," "Nurse Stimpy," "Robin Hoek," and the all-time classic "Stimpy's Invention". A concept as twisted as the Happy Helmet was like an oasis in that sea of gawdawful animation in the 80s.

This DVD will have audio commentaries and a documentary. If this edition restores the Magical Nose Goblins and the unedited antics of Powdered Toast Man, it will truly be a happy occasion!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1925

Is if you run over me in your car before I get there. I'm right with you on this one Wooch. I felt that this show was the most vile, subversive, youth ruining exercise in the history of TV Animation.... and I loved every second of it. Perhaps not as "consistent" as the Simpsons but much darker. Sure made me look at farts a whole new way....

Da Worfster :cool:

agtpunx40
08-16-2004, 09:20 AM
This just adds to my tv excitement over strangers with candy season three, and pee wees playhouse

Woochifer
08-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Well, it looks like new episodes of Ren & Stimpy are coming back to Spike TV this weekend! But I'm reading a lot of conflicting information so it might not be accurate. Basically, John K has done some new episodes and they have not aired yet. Spike TV has done no promotion of this and it's not on their schedule either. In the meantime, for a preview, check out some clips from the new episodes. They look absolutely hilarious, especially the images from "Stimpy's Pregnant" -- my gawd, this is twisted ****!

http://apc.thetma.com/

Woochifer
08-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Is if you run over me in your car before I get there. I'm right with you on this one Wooch. I felt that this show was the most vile, subversive, youth ruining exercise in the history of TV Animation.... and I loved every second of it. Perhaps not as "consistent" as the Simpsons but much darker. Sure made me look at farts a whole new way....

Da Worfster :cool:

But, I think you'll get the DVD before I can by virtue of your three-hour head start on the east coast!

I'm just looking at the images from the new Ren & Stimpy cartoons, and I'm totally busting up. Good gawd, I'm still aghast at Clip 4 from "Stimpy's Pregnant" -- sheez! It's sick, disturbing, and funny as anything.

Also interesting that you brought up the farts because that was all part of the Powered Toast Man schtick that later got edited out of Nickelodeon's broadcasts. I actually got a Ren & Stimpy comic book that features "Powdered Toast Man versus Spider-Man"! I kid you not! Basically, PTM got brainwashed by a baddie and is now duking it out with Spidey. Spidey tried to web down PTM, but he ripped a big one that cut through the webbing and trapped Spidey by blowing his nose and encasing Spidey in a snot trap. Purdy funny stuff.

I guess that's the thing that sets apart Ren & Stimpy from stuff like The Simpsons and South Park, R&S can be funny with absolutely no dialog because the gags are so visually oriented. The Simpsons and South Park are great, but only as great as the writing will carry them since those cartoons have very few sight gags. A Ren & Stimpy cartoon like "Space Madness" or "Stimpy's Invention" attains classic status because it's not only well written but driven by incredibly twisted visual gags.

The old MGM cartoons directed by Tex Avery, which IMO are some of the most brilliantly done cartoons ever, followed a very simple formula -- 8 minutes, 30 gags. With that kind of pacing, it's impossible to set up the jokes with dialog, and going with the visual humor doesn't let you pause for air because you're just laughing the whole time. Ren & Stimpy was really the first cartoon that I could remember since the "golden age of animation" that could spin the visual gags at that kind of pacing.

If Spike TV doesn't get around to airing those new episodes this week, we need to follow those links on the Ren & Stimpy site and petition the network.