"Super Freak" Rick James passed away today. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Super Freak" Rick James passed away today.

Swish
08-06-2004, 11:32 AM
He was only 56 and the cause of death was listed as "natural causes". Natural causes at 56? I guess that's not too unusual.

Swish

MasterCylinder
08-06-2004, 12:23 PM
One-hit-wonder.

Kind of a goober too.

Remember when he got busted for kidnapping some lady ?

Got coked up & held her hostage............some torture was involved.

Neat guy.

Woochifer
08-06-2004, 01:45 PM
He may have been 56 on paper, but with the abuse that he meted out on himself, he's been through enough such that natural causes is plausible. I read that he's already had a stroke.

I still remember "Super Freak" playing on the boombox when I would ride the bus to the beach. Was it really that long ago?

Slosh
08-06-2004, 02:21 PM
"I hit you tonight? I'm sorry Charlie Murphy. I couldn't help it. I'm partying muthaf<a>ucka! I was having too much fun."

Dusty Chalk
08-06-2004, 02:54 PM
In related news, the cost of Jheri Curl stock plumeted today.

N. Abstentia
08-06-2004, 07:32 PM
"I'M DEAD, BEEITCH!!"

Sorry. Sorry about that.

Worf101
08-08-2004, 12:39 PM
One-hit-wonder.

Kind of a goober too.

Remember when he got busted for kidnapping some lady ?

Got coked up & held her hostage............some torture was involved.

Neat guy.

If Rick James hadn't been up against the "unofficial" Black List MTV had pre "Thiller" he'd would've been as bigger name as possibly the gloved one. "Street Songs" was/is a phenominal album. Rick was a drug addict he squndered his talent... But if you look at his body of work and those albums he produced for others he's about as non a "one hit" as you can get. He was a fool but not an untalented one and a hell of a bass player....

"Do you love me Mary Jane?"

Da Worfster :o

MasterCylinder
08-09-2004, 05:02 AM
Worfy................................

I know people with twice the playing and writing talent as Mr. James ever thought he would have; they work regular jobs to make a living and play gigs and studio dates when thay can get the time. These people don't blame drugs or others if they fuk up - they take responsibility for their own actions.

Rick James had much talent -- I agree................so what ?
He squandered his opportunities and mistreated other humans -- both on more than one occassion.

I don't have a lot of respect for people like him...............sorry.

Worf101
08-09-2004, 07:44 AM
Worfy................................

I know people with twice the playing and writing talent as Mr. James ever thought he would have; they work regular jobs to make a living and play gigs and studio dates when thay can get the time. These people don't blame drugs or others if they fuk up - they take responsibility for their own actions.

Rick James had much talent -- I agree................so what ?
He squandered his opportunities and mistreated other humans -- both on more than one occassion.

I don't have a lot of respect for people like him...............sorry.

I wasn't asking you to like or respect him, I just pointed out that he wasn't a "one hit wonder" that's all. I have little pity for talented people who squander they're gift through drugs.... as do you. Sly is another prime example. How he's managed to live this long I'll never know.

Da Worfster