Subwoofer amp. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer amp.

lbhkilla
08-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Any recommendations for subwoofer amps? I am doing a DIY sub, I am settled on a driver from Parts Express, but was wondering if there was anywhere else I should be looking for an amp. I was thinking somewhere in the 200Watt range ($130 range at for parts express amps) as I have a pretty small area, and bass isnt top priority with the neighbors I have. Any help would be appreciated.

Woochifer
08-05-2004, 02:56 PM
I think a lot of the parts houses use the same supplier for their plate amps. One of the Parts Express amps looks pretty much identical to the AVA250 amp that Adire Audio sells, and I think that both of those are similar to the plate amp that Stryke sells. Check Adire Audio and Acoustic Visions' websites for some alternatives.

This Guy
08-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Rythmik sells an amp that puts out 350 watts at 4 ohms and is only $20 or so more. Better to have too much power than too little. Just curious, what driver did you choose? But I hear the PE 200 watt amp is better than their 250 (PE forums), so I'd go with that one. All the amps in this price range will be very similar, and sound pretty much identical to eachother, besides the Rythmik going about 2.5 dB louder than the 200 watter. Just curious, what driver did you pick and in what kind of box?

-Joey

lbhkilla
08-05-2004, 05:56 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-550

I picked that one because it seemed to have the best balance of price and specs. There are plans for a box with the link to the driver, so I decided to build up the ported box that they describe.