Energy vs. B&W? Which would you buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Energy vs. B&W? Which would you buy?

steveb
08-05-2004, 08:39 AM
I am looking at buying either an Energy Connoisseur package or one of two B&W 600 series packages. I would appreciate any perspectives you have on these speakers/combinations. Mostly I'd like to understand if it's worth spending up for the B&W's.

Energy Connoisseur package:

Fronts: C-9 $800/pair
Center: C-C3 $600
Surrounds: C-3 $300/pair
Sub: exl S12 $400 (demo)
Total: $2100 USD

B&W package 1:
Fronts: DM603 S3
Center: LCR60
Surrounds: DM600 S3
Sub ASW 600
Total package: $2300 USD

B&W package 2:
Fronts: DM604 S3
Center: LCR600
Surrounds DM600 S3
Sub ASW 600
Total package: $2700 USD

I like the sound of the second B&W package the best, but would like to keep the cost as low as possible (still need to by new DVD player :) ) so am considering the other two options. Music is equally important to me as Movie/TV sound. My room is about 18' square.

Thanks All!.

toquemon
08-05-2004, 08:57 AM
I am looking at buying either an Energy Connoisseur package or one of two B&W 600 series packages. I would appreciate any perspectives you have on these speakers/combinations. Mostly I'd like to understand if it's worth spending up for the B&W's.

Energy Connoisseur package:

Fronts: C-9 $800/pair
Center: C-C3 $600
Surrounds: C-3 $300/pair
Sub: exl S12 $400 (demo)
Total: $2100 USD

B&W package 1:
Fronts: DM603 S3
Center: LCR60
Surrounds: DM600 S3
Sub ASW 600
Total package: $2300 USD

B&W package 2:
Surrounds DM600 S3
Sub ASW 600

I like the sound of the second B&W package the best, but would like to keep the cost as low as possible (still need to by new DVD player :) ) so am considering the other two options. Music is equally important to me as Movie/TV sound. My room is about 18' square.

Thanks All!.

I think Energy is the best you can buy for $2,100. They're excellent speakers, their sound is rich, complete, impressive. The B&W's are overpriced because is a well known brand, but is up to you.

Bryan
08-05-2004, 08:58 AM
As you enjoy the sound of the B&W you may consider going with a Rocket (http://www.av123.com) HT package #4. It comes with RS550 mains, the RSC200 center, and RS150 surrounds and in either ebony or rosewood. Add onto it a SVS (http://www.svsubwoofers.com) 20-39PCi and you will have a wonderful HT/music package for years to come. However, if you thoroughly enjoy the second B&W you listed, run with it and enjoy your purchase.

One question I have for you is usage. How much will be for music versus how much will be for home theater?

N. Abstentia
08-05-2004, 09:16 AM
For that much money I'd have to look into stepping up to the Paradigm Studio series.

kexodusc
08-05-2004, 10:08 AM
For that much money I'd have to look into stepping up to the Paradigm Studio series.

Funny you mentioned that, that's exactly what I did after considering these two lines.

I liked what I heard in the Energy Connoisseur line for the price, was mildly impressed with B&W and I also gave the Paradigm Monitor series a whirl too. In the end I spent a wee bit more and got what I believe to be a much better performing system.

Understand this all my opinion and not fact.

I would suggest that you don't skimp out on the center channel if you intend to use your system for say 40% home theater or more (arbitrary numbers I realize). Go with the LCR 600 for example. I'd do this at the expense of the front main speakers, I'm not a fan of the 7 inch woofers in the 600 series. So get the 603's for mains. Especially if you're using a decent subwoofer. (which, by the way I might look away from both Energy and B&W...better values in subs out there).
The extra cost for the slightly lower bass response in the front mains isn't going to be worth as much as the extra performance in the very sensitive mid-range and mid-bass frequencies provided by an improved center channel. And hopefully you'd be able to cutoff frequencies below 80-60 Hz or lower and send them through your subwoofer anyway.

Just something for consideration next time you're listenting to them. Might save yourself a few bucks.

topspeed
08-05-2004, 10:12 AM
I like the sound of the second B&W package the best
There you go.

They are both very good packages from well respected companies. From an objective point of view, I think the build quality of B&W is a bit better, a point reflected by them retaining one of (if not the) highest resale values. Because sound preference is so personal, only you can make the decision which is "better."

I own B&W's so consider this a bias warning. My experience with Energy is with their Audissey and Veritas lines although I would think the house sound would be similar to the C series. Energy's are terrific sounding speakers although I found the tweeter to be on the hot side. Nothing terrible but I definitely had concerns about fatigue. I also find the driver integration to be a little less coherent than some others, especially the bass driver which was somewhat less than diligent in my sessions.

B&W's 600 series are also terrific sounding speakers and represent the company's bread and butter. They are polite, accurate, and very fast with very little overhang. They aren't difficult to drive (nor are the Energy's) and are probably receiver friendly. Personally, I don't find them to be overpriced and with their resale retention, apparently the market doesn't either. In fact, you could do a lot worse for the dollar.

In the end, you should really just trust your own ears and buy what you like. If at all possible, demo them in your own home (a good dealer should give you a loaner) with your own front end and acoustics. Don't forget, what sounds good at the dealer could very well sound like ca-ca in your room. Negotiate the prices hard too. Discounts of 15-20% (or more :))are common, particularly on package deals.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Woochifer
08-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Well, it basically comes down to whether you think the B&W speakers sound $600 better than the Energy package. When I had originally narrowed my speaker choices down, I ultimately had to decide whether one pair of speakers was $300 better than another pair (an extra $500 in a full 5.1 configuration). In my case, I decided that the extra $300 was worth the better sound quality, but it was only through a direct comparison that I felt certain about the decision.

What you'll probably need to do is first definitively settle on which B&W package you're set on, and then borrow at least the main speakers for home comparison. If you have not yet compared the speakers directly in the same room using the same playback rig, you need to do that at home with your receiver/amp, because what you hear at the dealer demo room can sound very different at home.

If budget is a concern, keep in mind that you don't have to buy the whole thing at the same time. Because the speakers that I chose put me right at my original budget limit, I went without a center speaker for a year, without a subwoofer for a year and a half, and relied on a spare pair of nonmatching bookshelf speakers as surrounds for about two years until I could free up enough budget to add the extra speakers. But, every upgrade along the way incrementally improved the sound quality, and once the whole thing came together, it was well worth the wait.

In your case, you already got the budget to buy a set of five matching speakers, and only need to save up for the subwoofer. You'll probably want to do some additional research before buying the sub anyway, because you have a steeper learning curve to get the sound in the low frequencies right. Things like room acoustics, placement, level adjustments, and crossover points matter a lot with subs, probably more so than with the other speakers.

Also, I would not buy a B&W or Energy subwoofer just to match the main and surround speaker brands. With your main, center, and surround speakers, it's usually best to go with the matched speakers from the same series, but subs are in a different frequency range, so it's not relevant if a subwoofer is made by the same manufacturer. Companies like Velodyne, Hsu, and SVS specialize in subwoofers and make some very well regarded ones.

goatspeed
08-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Don't include the exl s12 or the asw 600 subwoofers. Neither of them are going to be as good for the price as a HSU or SVS sub. I love B&W speakers, all of them I've ever heard, but that sub sounds bloated imo. I went through the very same speakers in the last couple months as I just bought a new HT setup, and I liked the B&W's better overall. The C's had a phenominal soundstage and nice bass for their size, but they weren't engaging enough for me. I tend to like my speakers just a little bright, and I didn't think they were bright at all....so that's probably a good thing for most. IMO, the B&W's are worth paying the extra for. Since they are so popular, I think you'd have an easier time selling them later too. Keep the sub thing in mind though....go with HSU or SVS for that price range.

musicguy04
08-05-2004, 03:49 PM
I'd go for the B&W package 2. They're nice speakers.

NickWH
08-05-2004, 06:08 PM
You pretty much answered your own question. If you like the sound of the more expensive B&W package, but want to keep the cost down, you should go with B&W package #1.

Next I would upgrade the receiver to a Rotel....

RGA
08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
You answered your own question as to which is best to you. I will make one suggestion - On B&W speaker package # 1 you mention the LCR 60 with the 603S3 - Try and listen to that system with the LCR600 - since you're going to use a subwoofer anyway you can save a bit of cash rather than buying the 604S3. If you listen a bit longer you may actually prefer the 603 over the 604 like me. The 604 has more oomph and bass but the 603S3 is a bit faster sounding. Either way both are very good.

The ASW sub is supposed to be excellent - but you don't need a match - err well yes you do need a match but it's easy to find subs from other companies that will match for Home theater.

Geoffcin
08-06-2004, 02:45 AM

B&W package 2:
Surrounds DM600 S3
Sub ASW 600

Thanks All!.

If you like the second B&W system the best then you should try to find a way to afford it. Even if you can't get it all at once, getting the system that you LIKE the best is always the best thing to do. If you like your music, then you will be able to forgo the sub, and still enjoy the system. You can even start with a stereo setup, and work up from there.

pwh03
08-06-2004, 10:28 AM
I'd agree that if you have found something you like you should go with it in this case option 2, if you don't you may find your self wondering what your missing, which shouldn't be going through your head when watching a movie or listening to music. IF you do decide to go with B&W package 1 I would atleast switch the center channel to the 600, I think irs well woth. I did an audition of the two and that was my opinion, but I actually decided to get another 602 s2 and use it as a center, works well, but its not shielded so you'll have to work that out.

Peter Duminy
08-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Speakers are such a personal item. If your ears like the B&W's, then they are the speakers for you. I would try and deal with a Company that would allow for upgrades, or a full refund if you change your mind. Trust what you hear!