OK, my turn. It's decision time. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK, my turn. It's decision time.

H2okie
08-04-2004, 04:16 PM
I decided on a Yamaha receiver, either the RX-V1400 or the HT-R5790 or 60. I read on the Yamaha site where the 1400 does not support dual zone, where the 5790 supports up to 3 different zones. I want be able to have the ability for people to watch a movie in surround sound inside, while I'm listening to tunes on my Bose 151's outside( I know bose is a bad word around here, but I think they make a good outdoor speaker). What are the main differences between these receivers? I think the 5760 is on sale at bestbuy this week. Also, someone mentioned that Yamaha changes models in the fall, I'm not in so much of a hurry that I can't wait a few months.

A liitle background, I'll be hooking up my tv (obviously), vcr, dvd (yet to buy), cd player and directtv box. Any suggestions for optimum receiver use would be greatly appreciated.

So far, I like the Klipsch FR series speakers.

I almost hate to admit this, but I was thinking of buying the bose lifestyle 28 when I thought to myself there has to be a better way. I was right! This is a great site, for the novice, like me, right up to the serious audiophile.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

Woochifer
08-04-2004, 05:23 PM
The RX-V1400 has zone 2 amplification, and a zone 3 preout for use with an outboard amp in another room. I know that the HTR-5790 also has at least the zone 2 amplification, not sure about the zone 3 preout. The two models underneath are identical, but the fascias are different and usually Yamaha takes out or modifies a feature or two with the HTR versions in order to maintain favor with the specialty stores that carry the RX-V models (the HTR models are sold thru mail order and mass merchants, while the RX-V series is not authorized for any kind of mail order sales).

Yamaha's midlevel models usually switch over around October, and the closeout prices for the discontinued models have been very low the past couple of years. Pretty much any decent midlevel receiver that you buy right now (definitely NOT the Lifestyle series), will be able to act as the nerve center for your audio/video system and give you a lot of room for future expansions. All of your audio and video components should hook through the receiver, and that will keep the system well managed and minimize the clutter.

When auditioning the Klipsch RF series, keep in mind that you should lower the volume by about 5-10db if you want to maintain a comparable sound output level with other speakers. The Klipsch horn design makes them more efficient than most other speakers in their class, so if you want to make sure that the comparison is fair, then either lower the Klipsch volume or raise it with the other speakers.