Osi [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Osi

MasterCylinder
08-04-2004, 10:00 AM
........as in OFFICE OF STRATEGIC INFLUENCE..................have any of you people heard this stuff ?

A friend at work gave me a CD-r copy of this disc and I found it fairly addicting.

Some Floyd tendencies here, among others............kinda spacey.

I know Troy would like it..............this stuff would help with those all-night drives.

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2004, 11:55 AM
........as in OFFICE OF STRATEGIC INFLUENCE..................have any of you people heard this stuff ?

A friend at work gave me a CD-r copy of this disc and I found it fairly addicting.

I know Troy would like it..............this stuff would help with those all-night drives.

There were some posts about this a long time back. Like, maybe, a year ago. BarryL was singing its praises big time. I think Troy and DarrenH were also. And, of course, our long lost friend...Demetrio.

I haven't heard it myself. Although I'm sure that I would like it from what I've heard about it. I meant to borrow it from Barry, but never got around to it. So much music, so little time. Sigh.

BarryL
08-04-2004, 12:04 PM

I recall it was a great album. Haven't spun it in a while though. Includes members from Fates Warning (Jim Matheos), Chroma Key (Kevin Moore), Dream Theater (Mike Portnoy), Gordian Knot (Sean Malone) with a guest appearance by Porcupine Tree's Steve Wilson. It's a very modern progressive rock album, and reflects a harder-edge quirky rock sound that you might expect from any of the bands the members are from. If you're going to pick it up, try to find a version with the bonus disk, which includes PF's Set The Controls For the Heart of the Sun. It's not a great cover version of a mundane tune, but it contains a 17 minute track The Thing That Never Was which is outstanding.

A fine release from good ol' 2003.

MasterCylinder
08-04-2004, 12:22 PM
It is sometimes bad to be so predictable; but, it is also great to be so dependable.

I was guessing Barry would reply to this one.

Thanks dude -- make a copy and give it to your sis.

BarryL
08-04-2004, 01:27 PM
It is sometimes bad to be so predictable; but, it is also great to be so dependable.

I was guessing Barry would reply to this one.

Thanks dude -- make a copy and give it to your sis.

Maybe you're friend has this as well, or should get it and get a copy to you.

Let me know.

Dusty Chalk
08-04-2004, 02:52 PM
I dig it, too!

Dave_G
08-04-2004, 05:25 PM
It's pretty good stuff along the lines of Porcupine Tree et al.

I'm wanting the new Flower Kings more than anything.

Dave

Troy
08-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Funny you mention this. I just got back from a road trip and played late at night driving across Nevada. Twice. Yeah, it's really good for that.

It took me a long time to get into this for some reason. I think a lot of it is too metal/Dream Theater-y for me. Moore's "Chroma Key" albums really work for me and the best parts of OSI sound like that. And Wilson's PT influence is really strong on a few tracks.

Geezer, let me know how the FKs is. If it's like the last couple, I'll probably stay away.

Dusty Chalk
08-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Speaking of Kevin Moore, has anyone else heard Ghost World? I dig it. It's more along the lines of Chroma Key, yet without sounding all samey.

Troy
08-05-2004, 06:50 AM
Speaking of Kevin Moore, has anyone else heard Ghost World? I dig it. It's more along the lines of Chroma Key, yet without sounding all samey.

Which Chroma Key does it sound like? The first half of "Dead Air for Radios" or the second?

Dusty Chalk
08-05-2004, 08:19 AM
To be perfectly honest, neither. Hold on, let me pull it out and listen to it again...

EDIT: Shoot, I don't know where my Chroma Key CD's are.

PS It's a soundtrack (Ghost World is).

Troy
08-05-2004, 09:22 AM
It's a soundtrack? Not to the movie Ghost World that came out a few years ago with Scarlet Johansen in it, is it?

Dusty Chalk
08-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Oops, sorry, not Ghost World, Ghost Book. And it's a soundtrack to the film, Okul, whatever that is.