OT: Anybody Doom 3ing it yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anybody Doom 3ing it yet?

Worf101
08-04-2004, 06:46 AM
I've just built a new puter by hand and I'm trying out new things on it as we speak. I remember the original Doom and Castle Wolfenstein. I played Return to Castel Wolfenstein and enjoyed it emmensely. Need a new video card before I can wrestle with D3 though.

Anyone else playing?

Da "ooo that double shotgun is nice" Worfster :D

hmmmm
08-06-2004, 12:25 PM
I've just built a new puter by hand and I'm trying out new things on it as we speak. I remember the original Doom and Castle Wolfenstein. I played Return to Castel Wolfenstein and enjoyed it emmensely. Need a new video card before I can wrestle with D3 though.

Anyone else playing?

Da "ooo that double shotgun is nice" Worfster :D

O.K. I'll admit that I took the day off work to buy Doom 3 and install it. This game is SWEEEEET. I played it for about 6 hours straight and was sweating from being nervous about what I was going to come up against next. This game is a memory hog and worth upgrading to a 256 mb video card. The first 10 min. or so of playing is a bit boring because you need to go through learning about the PDA you carry and some other things but it is worth it. The PDA is cool because you can watch video clips on it left by other "fallen" marines etc... It's like you are playing a game and watching a movie at the same time. I also played online and had a blast but for the first time ever playing one of these games, I actually had more fun with the single player game. Walking through the dark with just a flashlight in your hand really freaks me out- well not in real life, only when you know that a demon wants to chomp on you:) Best game ever. Period.

Sealed
08-07-2004, 03:33 AM
I have an "ancient" geforce 4800 (IIRC) with 256 mb on board. According the 3/5 sources I have read, the GEforce 6800 ultra extreme is clearly faster across the board than the ATI 800xt. 2/5 sources have the ati faster. Both cards are +/- $399 with 256mb.

How well does it do with an *AHEM* ancient 4800? (can I expect to have to run low res and shut detail off/down?)

My copy of doom 3 was shipped from amazon.com, should be at my mailbox soon.

kingcrim05
08-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Guys, video memory really means jack. The difference between a 256 card and a 128 card is really nothing at all. The type of card is really all that matters. A high end 64 will kill a cheap 256.

That being said, i do own a Sapphire 9600xt 256. The 256 was only $10 more for me and it came with the coupon for Half-life 2. I had to do it.

Haven't checked out Doom 3 but i've heard word it's a huge hog. Guess i have to stick with Natural Selection and Day of Defeat (mods for half-life).

Sealed
08-08-2004, 01:32 AM
Guys, video memory really means jack. The difference between a 256 card and a 128 card is really nothing at all. The type of card is really all that matters. A high end 64 will kill a cheap 256.

That being said, i do own a Sapphire 9600xt 256. The 256 was only $10 more for me and it came with the coupon for Half-life 2. I had to do it.

Haven't checked out Doom 3 but i've heard word it's a huge hog. Guess i have to stick with Natural Selection and Day of Defeat (mods for half-life).

Actually, it does matter. Latest sources: maximumpc, anandtech.com, avault, extremepc and idsoft:

The extra memory allows display of deeper and more texture mapping at higher res that would have to be displayed at a lower quality with less memory (IE 128, 64)

It has an effect of "holding" information like textures. It also makes a difference in a non gaming environment like video editing.

No one should be getting less than 128mb if they want to see all of the details possible within the constraints of thier cpu's capabilities.

NickWH
08-08-2004, 05:31 AM
Yes, I installed the game yesterday. I was getting bored of the 3D shooter games, but this one really reinvents the category.

Just for comparison, I have a Dell Precision 360, P4 2.40GHz/512K (HT enabled), 1GB of RAM, and a nVidia Quadro4 NVS280 64MB graphics card (DVI output), running Windows XP Pro.

The best I can run is 800x600 in High Quality. I would love to be able to run 1024x768.