center speaker selection.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : center speaker selection....

marky
08-03-2004, 07:24 PM
whats a good center speaker for the rxv 2400? i know i have to audition them first but i want some models so i can actually go and audition them. nothing too expensive, around 300-400. how is the kef Q10c? thanks!

This Guy
08-03-2004, 07:58 PM
whatever matches your main speakers. Pick your left and right speakers first.

Woochifer
08-03-2004, 09:38 PM
The center speaker choice is completely dependent on how well it matches your main speakers. It does not matter one bit how it sounds by itself if it does not tonally match your mains. Keep in mind that center speakers made by the same company are not always a good tonal match, but it is usually the best place to start. Because of the horizontal alignment of the center speaker, the match won't be perfect, but so long as it does not call attention to itself and blends in with the mains, it should work. If you're trying to match a center speaker to a pair of older mains, then the task is a lot trickier because you have to make guesses (unless you choose to haul your main speakers with you to the dealers or borrow a lot of center speakers to try out at home).

Bryan
08-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Go with the one that matches your mains. That would be first and foremost. If you will be buying a new center and building around it, consider a used or B-stock Rocket RSC200 (one for $439 now on audiogon.com) or Rocket RSC100 MK II.