George Washington Quotes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : George Washington Quotes

piece-it pete
08-03-2004, 09:25 AM
In these troubled times, I find a measure of comfort in the words of the Father of our Country...

Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected.

How soon we forget history... Government is not reason. Government is not eloquence. It is force. And, like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.

It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it.

It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.

Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.

Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair; the rest is in the hands of God.

Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.

Let your heart feel for the afflictions and distress of everyone, and let your hand give in proportion to your purse.

My manner of living is plain and I do not mean to be put out of it. A glass of wine and a bit of mutton are always ready.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it.

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

The tumultuous populace of large cities are ever to be dreaded. Their indiscriminate violence prostrates for the time all public authority, and its consequences are sometimes extensive and terrible.

To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.

When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.

'Tis our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances, with any portion of the foreign world--so far, I mean, as we are now at liberty to do it.

The liberality of sentiment toward each other, which marks every political and religious denomination of men in this country, stands unparalleled in the history of nations.

I die hard but am not afraid to go.

Our country's honor calls upon us for a vigorous and manly exertion; and if we now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world.

I go to the chair of government with feelings not unlike those of a culprit who is going to the place of his execution.

We ought to be persuaded that the propitious smiles of heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which heaven itself has ordained.

And finally:

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.

Pete

piece-it pete
08-04-2004, 05:20 AM
Not one single comment?

I for one was VERY surprised at a couple of these. I'd like to know why we didn't read more of the actual statements in school, PC?

Pete

woodman
08-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Crikeys Peter ... I never knew that you were one of those "gun-nuts". Unlike you, I don't find all that much that is comforting in Washington's words. His obsession with guns I find most troubling. It's my considered opinion that the invention of the gun was the worst event that ever took place on this planet, Charlton Heston notwithstanding. The best interests of our country would be best served without the NRA and all of the Republicans that cast votes in the Congress in support of their agenda.

Resident Loser
08-06-2004, 07:46 AM
...but since I agreed with it all I didn't see the need to comment...unfortunately that's the problem with a "silent majority"...

No such thing as PC when we went to school...the only thing I remember was his admonition to "avoid foreign entanglements"

jimHJJ(...he is one for the ages...despite what others may think...)

piece-it pete
08-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Woodman,

Washington a gun nut?

At 1st blush it would appear that way, however after reading a few biographies (that didn't to my memory include these gun related quotes)(the best one so far has been "The Indispensible Man" BTW) the Father of our Country wasn't a "nut" about ANYTHING, remember he turned down the offer of king and DID beat the British against overwhelming odds.

He also kept his mouth shut during the Constitutional Convention, where his words would have been almost gospel, except at the end when they were discussing how many per Rep, he spoke up and plugged less, meaning more representation.

His words carried the motion, of course. I say of course because, OF COURSE.

They didn't call the old Colt "The Peacemaker" for nothing. Before guns it was tyranny of the biggest, strongest. The gun has also been called the great leveler for the same reason. Washington didn't feel that way for nothing - like all the Founding Fathers they understood the threat of gov't power much more clearly then we've been taught to.

The history of the gun is the history of modern civilization.

Before Hitler attacked the Jews he instituted gun registration. As soon as it was complete he confiscated all the Jews' guns. The very next day - implementation of the Final Solution.

It couldn't happen here, we're civilized. Wait a minute, so was Germany.

A while back I believed in gun control. Now, I'm taking classes to carry a concealed weapon, legal in Ohio.

Pete

Crikeys Peter ... I never knew that you were one of those "gun-nuts". Unlike you, I don't find all that much that is comforting in Washington's words. His obsession with guns I find most troubling. It's my considered opinion that the invention of the gun was the worst event that ever took place on this planet, Charlton Heston notwithstanding. The best interests of our country would be best served without the NRA and all of the Republicans that cast votes in the Congress in support of their agenda.