Does anyone here like Green Day? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here like Green Day?

ForeverAutumn
08-03-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm still listening to the radio and they're playing Green Day's latest release called American Idiot. The new album that's it's on hasn't been released yet. The song is okay. Typical Green Day. Pop with a bit of an edge. Lot's of censoring on the radio cut. About 2.5 minutes long. Not their best song, but not their worst either.

I was a big fan up until their last album, Shenanigans, which didn't do much for me. Dookie is their all-time best IMHO. I really enjoyed Warning as well (a great workout disk). I didn't know that they had a new disk coming out. I don't think that Shenanigans did very well, and since I hadn't heard much about them for a while I just figured that they fell off the planet. I'll probably pick up the new disk when it's available (if I can get it cheap) and see what it's like. One bad disk out of five isn't enough to turn me off yet.

Interesting, I just looked up Green Day on AMG and Shenanigans isn't even listed on the diskography. Hmmmmmm. :confused:

EDIT: Here's why I don't listen to the radio much anymore....I wrote the above post immediately after hearing the Green Day song. The time on the post is 12:55. Well, it's now 1:35 and they're already playing the song again! Geez, twice in an hour! Wonder what kind of payola it takes to make that happen. :rolleyes:

nobody
08-03-2004, 08:59 AM
I don't have any of their stuff, but I always like them when I hear them. They seem to be a band that would have a great hits album someday. Actually, now that I think of it, I think they already do have one. I may have to grab a copy sometime soon.

mad rhetorik
08-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Green Day is one of the few pop-punk bands I can listen to without gagging uncontrollably, though I don't dig out my copy of <b>Dookie</b> as much as I used to these days. Guess after hearing bands like The Descendents, Buzzcocks, Husker Du, and The Jam, Green Day doesn't sound that original anymore. They have obvious influences, not necessarily a bad thing. At least they drew from quality material, and I'd rather listen to them than Blink 182, NOFX, MxPx, Sum41, Rancid, Good Charlotte, Offspring etc.

F.A.: If you like <b>Dookie</b>, I'd advise you to check their earlier albums released under the Lookout label, <b>1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours</b> and <b>Kerplunk</b>. Both good releases, though the lo-fi sound quality might be a turnoff.

Mr MidFi
08-03-2004, 09:53 AM
I have their greatest hits package, which is actually a pretty good album. Like FA mentioned, it's a top-notch workout disc. But it's not really something I just sit and listen to very often.

ForeverAutumn
08-03-2004, 10:28 AM
2:25 and American Idiot is playing again!!!

Now I just want to keep listening to see how many more times they play the song before I leave the office. At this rate, I'll be sick of it before the day is over and won't want to buy the CD after all. :rolleyes:

I did find out that the new CD will be out on Sept. 21 or 23 or sometime around there. It's, apparently, a rock opera. :eek:

Stone
08-03-2004, 11:26 AM
I did find out that the new CD will be out on Sept. 21 or 23 or sometime around there. It's, apparently, a rock opera. :eek:

This is what I've heard. I saw a quick interview with Billie Joe over the weekend and he was talking about it being a rock opera. Based on that alone, I'd be hesitant, but who knows.

Having said that, I like their first few albums, especially Kerplunk, but even though I love the older stuff like the Descendents and Buzzcocks, I still do like some of the newer stuff like Rancid and I think NOFX and Blink are good fun. What's my point? There isn't one really... :)

Stone

ForeverAutumn
08-03-2004, 11:52 AM
3:45 and.....you guessed it.

MindGoneHaywire
08-03-2004, 12:08 PM
I think Shenanigans wasn't a proper album, it was a collection of odds & ends, B-sides, a song or two that was on a movie soundtrack, that sort of thing. I don't remember it being promoted much. I think that if you click on the compilations or other tab on their discography page on AMG you'll find it.

I heard a few seconds of something on Howard Stern this morning, probably what they're (over)playing on the radio. It sounded pretty good, though. It stood out to me as better than most of Warning, which I thought was kinda weak. I am glad they have something new coming out. There are a lot of bands that sound like them but they're the only one I think are any good.

Jim Clark
08-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Warning is the last GD CD I have but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Oddly enough the last time I listened to it was during a workout. Dookie is my favorite as well but like you I seem to lack the earlier recordings so who knows.

Most of the other wannabe's leave me flat but I'm not sure I can see the rationale for putting Rancid on that list. While they obviously get more than their share of inspiration from the Ramones and The Clash at least to me they seem to pull it off. Plus you could do a whole lot worse than borowing from the Ramones and the Clash.

jc

ForeverAutumn
08-03-2004, 01:36 PM
5:05 and 5:09.

Yep. They played it twice. Back to back. With some idle DJ banter in between.

Unbelievable, I know. But I wouldn't lie about something like this.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dusty Chalk
08-03-2004, 06:56 PM
I like Dookie, but that's the only one I have.

It's very difficult for me to resist mentioning the movie, High Fidelity -- there's a classic scene mentioning them.

mad rhetorik
08-04-2004, 05:03 AM
I like Dookie, but that's the only one I have.

It's very difficult for me to resist mentioning the movie, High Fidelity -- there's a classic scene mentioning them.

The scene where they say Green Day was influenced by The Clash and Stiff Little Fingers, and then proceed to take out a copy of <b>Inflammable Material</b> and play "Suspect Device?" Yeah, that was a good scene, even though I think Green Day were more influenced by the Buzzcocks and The Jam than SLF.

kingcrim05
08-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Kerplunk, Dookie and the 1,039 smoothed out happy hours are what i own, and i really do enjoy the first two. Good discs to spin once a year or so....

Dusty Chalk
08-04-2004, 02:56 PM
The scene where they say Green Day was influenced by The Clash and Stiff Little Fingers, and then proceed to take out a copy of <b>Inflammable Material</b> and play "Suspect Device?" Yeah, that was a good scene, even though I think Green Day were more influenced by the Buzzcocks and The Jam than SLF....and then someone wanders by and asks if this is the new Green Day, and the Moby-looking character and his soon to be girlfriend exchange a knowing look with each other...

kexodusc
08-04-2004, 03:00 PM
I don't really care much for Green Day's music, but I've rarely seen a band give consistently hilarious interviews like these guys. Music needs more humour...kudos to them.

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Green Day is one of the few pop-punk bands I can listen to without gagging uncontrollably, though I don't dig out my copy of <b>Dookie</b> as much as I used to these days. Guess after hearing bands like The Descendents, Buzzcocks, Husker Du, and The Jam, Green Day doesn't sound that original anymore. They have obvious influences, not necessarily a bad thing. At least they drew from quality material, and I'd rather listen to them than Blink 182, NOFX, MxPx, Sum41, Rancid, Good Charlotte, Offspring etc.

F.A.: If you like <b>Dookie</b>, I'd advise you to check their earlier albums released under the Lookout label, <b>1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours</b> and <b>Kerplunk</b>. Both good releases, though the lo-fi sound quality might be a turnoff.

Thanks for the recs Mad. You know, until I went on to AMG yesterday, I thought that Dookie was their first disk. I had no idea that they had earlier releases.

I just checked Amazon.ca and they want $21.99 and $24.99 for Kerplunk and 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours respectively. :eek: That's way too much money! I'll have to shop around and see if I can find them any cheaper. Usually Amazon is pretty good. But sometimes (like this time) they are just way out of the ball park.

MindGoneHaywire
08-04-2004, 04:22 PM
They're both available on ITunes for $9.99 apiece. If you don't like buying albums that way, there's always Ebay, I guess. I've never seen these on sale, the only time I've seen them in big stores they're always labeled as "IMPORT' & cost around what Amazon is asking or more. Yeah, imported from Northern California. Imported from someone other than a music distributor that carries only major & major-indie product. Those prices are ridiculous.