Feedback and buying speakers from Audiogon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Feedback and buying speakers from Audiogon

Eric Z
08-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Hello, everyone-

I'm thinking about buying a Mirage FRX Center Channel on audiogon.com (outright buy- not the auction part), but don't know much about the website.

*I'm thinking it's similar to buying used products on Ebay. Am I correct?
*I checked Audiogon's site and couldn't find anything about buyer protection or anything like that.

I just want to be sure I am not making the right decision. The sellers feedback is positive and that's the only thing I have to go by- I guess that what I go by with Ebay as well, but Ebay is just so much more mainstream and popular versus Audiogon.

Thanks.
Eric

psonic
08-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Audiogon is a very good venue. I bought my Dynaudio 60's via audiogon back in March. Just ask the fellow for his phone # and talk to him. Just extra peace of mind. Also make sure to get a tracking #, and ship insured, that is a must also.

Worf101
08-04-2004, 06:57 AM
I like their site a LOT. I've purchased good stuff from there. Never sold on it though. They tend to be more audiophiles on that site than the typical Ebay crowd. Lot's of high end, high priced swag on there for sure.

Da Worfster :cool:

kexodusc
08-04-2004, 07:37 AM
I'd actually trust an audiogon newbie more than an ebay newbie...at least chances are they're a somewhat competent audiophile/audio enthusiast. Crooks will go to the larger venue, ebay of course.
I've only had good experiences with audiogon.

I could be wrong but I think a paypal transaction still offers you some protection, and perhaps your credit card as well, even if it's through audiogon. Something for you to look into.

drseid
08-04-2004, 08:20 AM
I have bought and sold on Audiogon with no problems... There are some very good deals there on high-end speakers and equipment. If the person has a good Audiogon feedback rating, my feeling is you should be fine.

---Dave

piece-it pete
08-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Yep my experience there has been good, too.

I've heard of scams but that happens EVERYWHERE.

It's like a classified, caveat emptor.

Good Luck!!

Pete

Geoffcin
08-05-2004, 05:41 AM
I've had no problems with buying off of Audiogon. Just remember to do your homework, and check the sellers info.