It's Tuesday so what are you spinning right now? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's Tuesday so what are you spinning right now?

Swish
08-03-2004, 07:14 AM
My head is spinning because I have so much friggin' WORK to do, but I was referring to music, so here are my latest choices;

Bjork - Vespertine
Clearlake - Cedars (thanks for the rave J. I like this one)
Willard Grant Conspiracty - Regard the End
Honeydogs - 10,000 Years
Honeydogs - Here's Luck (can't believe it's the same band that release the above cd)
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Snow Patrol - Final Straw
Wheat - Per Second, ....
Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

Swish

P.S. Man is this place dead lately! I guess I haven't contributed much myself, so I'm part of the problem.

mad rhetorik
08-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Cynic: <b>Focus</b>
Cave-In: <b>Jupiter</b>
Public Enemy: <b>It Takes A Nation...</b>
Allman Brothers: <b>Beginnings</b>
The Who: <b>Live At Leeds</b>
Led Zeppelin: <b>Houses Of The Holy</b>
Slosh's McClusky/Les Savy Fav split

nobody
08-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Reminds me there's a new Bjork album coming up soon to look forward to.

Lately, I've been listening to...

Streets: A Grand Don't Come for Free - maybe my favorite this year so far.

Hank Crawford and Jimmy McGriff - Soul Survivors - Great middle ground between
R&B instrumentals and jazz with sax and organ.

This Are Two Tone - Excellent ska compilatiojn featuring the Specials, Madness, English Beat and others.

Love & Rockets: Express - My favorite of theirs, right now anyway.

Reverend Horton Heat: Revival - New one from the rev. Not as catchy as some of his, but some nice mellow tunes for a change and they really got his guitar sound right on this recording.

Tiger Army: Ghost Tigers Rise - Solid if unspectacular psychobilly. Nice guitar riffs and a cohesive listen from start to finish.

The Congos: Heart of the Congos - Still really diggin this one. Reggae fans should look into this one.

Mission of Burma: On Off On - Great comeback record. Nothing new, but great driving punk style.

Air: Talkie Walkie - This one stacks up well in their catalog. Poppier than much of their stuff, but still mellow and enveloping.

12" records - The Clash: Radio Clash, Tones on Tail: Go, Joy Division: Love Will Tear Us Apart, Nitzer Ebb: Join in the Chant, Revolting Cocks: Attack Ships On Fire, a few more...

That's enough for now. Still waiting on an order for a couple new things and planning on a trip to the record shop this weekend, if there's anything left after bill paying...

2 channel
08-03-2004, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=nobody]Reminds me there's a new Bjork album coming up soon to look forward to.

Love & Rockets: Express - My favorite of theirs, right now anyway.

Reverend Horton Heat: Revival - New one from the rev. Not as catchy as some of his, but some nice mellow tunes for a change and they really got his guitar sound right on this recording.

QUOTE]

Hey nobody...
Express is an awesome album! I think it's there best (except for the Bauhaus stuff)
And I can't get enough of Rev Horton Heat!

Ive been listening to your American Music and Good time Rock and Roll comps ALOT lately. They are my current favs!

Sadly, I cant find any Rev Horton Heat or Cramps at any of the crappy record stores by my house.
I guess Ill be shopping om line

Dave_G
08-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Sting - Dream of the Blue Turtles cdr copy of MFSL product.

nobody
08-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Hey nobody...
Express is an awesome album! I think it's there best (except for the Bauhaus stuff)
And I can't get enough of Rev Horton Heat!

Ive been listening to your American Music and Good time Rock and Roll comps ALOT lately. They are my current favs!

Sadly, I cant find any Rev Horton Heat or Cramps at any of the crappy record stores by my house.
I guess Ill be shopping om line

Yeah, I really like Express. I'm a big fan of Earth Sun Moon too. Really, I like just about anything those fellas have done, including Tones on Tail and even Daniel Ash's first solo record.

Glad you're enjoyin' the comps. I still grab those from time to time myself. Does your Rockin' Good Time have the cowgirl on the front, or is an old copy?

Pat D
08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Borodin's Second Symphony, revised by Rimsky-Korsakoff and Glazounov. Jean Martinon, London Symphony, on The World of Borodin, London 444 389-2.

Brahms, Symphony no. 3. Bruno Walter, Columbia Symphony. On Sony SMK 64 471.

Brahms, Symphony no. 1. Walter, Columbia Symph., on Sony SMK 64 470.

Shostakovich, Symphony No. 5. Istvan Kertesz, Suisse Romande Orchestra. On LP, London Ace of Diamonds SDD 2130.

Mendelssohn, Symphony No. 3 (Scotch), Hebrides Overture. Peter Maag, Londons Symphony. On LP, London STS 15091.

Prokofiev, Peter and the Wold. Michael Flanders, narrator; Efrem Kurtz, The Philharmonia Orchestra. On LP, Seraphim S-60172.

Virtuoso Trumpet Concertos. John Wallace, Trumpet; Simon Wright, The Philharmonia Orchestra. Nimbus 5121.

Trumpet Music from the Italian Baroque. John Wallace, trumpet; The Wallace Collection (brass group); Simon Wright, The Philharmonia Orchestra. Nimbus 5079.

Ippolitov-Ivanov, Caucasian Sketeches (actually Suite no. 1). Siegfried Landau, Music for Westchester Symphony Orchestra. On "Russian Favorites," Vox Allegretto, ACD 8161. I have do have a better recording of this on Marco Polo but the performance is not nearly as stylish; and the sound is pretty fair.

*Tintner Memorial Editions on Naxos. These are all with the Nova Scotia Symphony Orchestra conducted by the late Georg Tintner, who is best known for his internationally renowned recordings of all the Bruckner Symphonies for Naxos. Frankly, I wan't sure what to expect with these recordings made by a small, regional Canadian orchestra. I knew they were a very good group as we have performed choral works with them in the past. The performances are very clear and clean, straightforward but very well accented. And the recording quality is astonishingly good. With very clean performances and fine recording quality, you can hear every note.

Mozart, Symphonies Nos. 31, 35, and 40. Naxos 8.557233. Very clear, accented performances. These are quite worthy performances which make the musical structures very clear, and indeed, I like the performance of Symphony No. 40 as well as anyone's.

Mozart, Les petits riens, German Dances, Marches, Minuets. Naxos 8.557243. This is a delightful CD of small pieces by Mozart, mostly unfamiliar to me. I find it hard to conceive how they could have been done much better and I think this is a real winner for this repertoire.

Brahms, Symphony No. 3, Serenade No. 2. Naxos 8.557237. This is very good, really, with every note and phrase clear. It's hard to conceive this is a chamber orchestra doing a big work like the Brahms Third. Maybe not the very best Brahms Third there is but I wasn't tempted to listen to something else, either. They do the Second Serenade rather well, too.

2 channel
08-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I really like Express. I'm a big fan of Earth Sun Moon too. Really, I like just about anything those fellas have done, including Tones on Tail and even Daniel Ash's first solo record.

Glad you're enjoyin' the comps. I still grab those from time to time myself. Does your Rockin' Good Time have the cowgirl on the front, or is an old copy?

I have both the old and new. If you remember, I posted last year b/c I had lost my copy and you sent new ones. in the mean time, i found my original copy. Have you made anything else along these lines?

Dusty Chalk
08-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Went on a road trip on Saturday, this is what accompanied me (actually, about US$1K worth of CD's accompanied me -- this is only what I listened to):

Dykehouse, Midrange
Ghost, Snuffbox Immanence and Hypnotic Underworld (I now find the former tolerable -- I "get it" -- but the latter still rules supreme)
The The, NakedSelf -- a completely under-rated record
Franz Ferdinand -- this record rules
Mindless Faith, Manifest Destiny

I just got an entry-level Stax system (the 3010, if anyone's trainspotting) -- dang these are nice! Listening to Silence is Sexy, one of my favourite recordings of all time. I'm hearing things I've never heard before.

nobody
08-03-2004, 08:00 PM
I have both the old and new. If you remember, I posted last year b/c I had lost my copy and you sent new ones. in the mean time, i found my original copy. Have you made anything else along these lines?

I've got a punk CD that would go nicely with the American Music one. My wife wants another Rockin' Good Time, so eventually I'll get around to that, but haven't yet. (OK...that could be read wrong I just realized, but I'm leaving it anyway.)

Check your PMs.

Davey
08-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Been doing some travelling but one CD that's been knocking me loopy the last few days since I've been spinning it at just about every opportunity is The Fiery Furnaces <i>Blueberry Boat</i>. Any of you that make the rounds of the big review sites already know that this one has gotten some very mixed reviews, everything from early album of the year proclamations at places like Tiny Mix Tapes and Pitchfork to Spin dismissing it as a "joyless slog through mossy folk tedium." Hehehe, I wonder who reads Spin anymore? But after a few listens I'm pretty much in love with it. Wildly inventive in the good way that much rock music used to be in the 60s when you had psychedelic rock from the Who, and avant-garde excursions by Frank Zappa, and epic multi-faceted pop from the Beatles, and even druggy dreamscapes from the Jefferson Airplane. Speaking of Zappa, that leads to Captain Beefheart, and this album even reminds me of his sometime guitar player and partner in strangeness toward the end of his performing days, Gary Lucas, and his <i>Bad Boys of ther Arctic</i> record from the mid 90s. Very hard to draw parallels and explain what it sounds like or who may enjoy it, but <i>I</i> do. That doesn't mean that I'm recommending it to <i>you</i> though ;)

BTW, just checked at amazon and there's a full set of customer reviews running the full gamut from 1 to 5 stars. Many of the 1-star people lamenting Pitchfork for steering them wrong. Hehehe, what a bunch of goofs. Definitely stay away if you don't like your indie-prog on the whimsical side or if technical prowess is the most important aspect to your musical nirvana. It is a little on the messy side, but it's good messy :)

Also got to spin some of these...

Laika - Sounds of the Satellites
Hector Zazou - Songs from the Cold Seas
Bark Psychosis - Codename: Dustsucker (wow, only a quick listen but can't imagine this one not being a big favorite)
The Slackers - The Question
Manitoba - Up In Flames (still think this is an amazing album - never fails to make me happy)
Television
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

and probably a few others like blah blah blah.....

tentoze
08-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Been doing some travelling but one CD that's been knocking me loopy the last few days since I've been spinning it at just about every opportunity is The Fiery Furnaces Blueberry Boat... That doesn't mean that I'm recommending it to you though ;)
...and probably a few others like blah blah blah.....I put this on my get list a coupla wks ago, but have been waffling a bit since then. Guess I need to hear a cut or two before I decide whether or not to pull the trigger.

Haven't made a pilgrimage to Big B's in like 3 weeks, so nothing new, cd-wise. Have been spinning a bunch of things trying to get the gear properly set up in the new living quarters, with mixed results thus far. Still in rotation are the latest Jesse Sykes disk (love it, love it), Davendra Banhart, that Walkabouts disk from Davey is still REALLY good, Willard Grant.....

A brief stop in the used vinyl store on Monday snagged, among a few nice finds, a pristine copy of Norman Blake's Whiskey Before Breakfast on vintage Rounder (#63)- the damn thing blew me away. Incredible roots stuff from 1976 by the master flat-picking genius. And the record looked and sounded like it had never been played- best 3 bucks I've spent in ages.

Stone
08-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Been doing some travelling but one CD that's been knocking me loopy the last few days since I've been spinning it at just about every opportunity is The Fiery Furnaces <i>Blueberry Boat</i>. ;)

I've listened to this three times, and I find the album to be amazing. Certainly will be a candidate for my album of the year. I read in a review an opinion that it appeals to both long attention spans and short attention spans, and I think that's true. It's a whopping 76 minutes, with some very long songs, but there are so many twists and turns and wonderful pop music to keep even me (a serious short attention spanner) interested throughout the entire thing.

Davey
08-04-2004, 12:02 PM
I put this on my get list a coupla wks ago, but have been waffling a bit since then. Guess I need to hear a cut or two before I decide whether or not to pull the trigger.
Yeah, I would suspect this one has a bit more electronics than you'd like, at least overall. I'm sure it'll be well represented on my next quickie comp which I was planning to send out to some of my trading buddies after I get a permanent new addy to pass on. Devendra still rules. So does Ghost, which is kind of proggy like The Fiery Furnaces, but in a different way. Also listened to Sue Garner and Rick Brown <i>Still</i>. Another one of those understated and underrated faves of mine that follow me around.

Slosh
08-04-2004, 02:29 PM
--snip~snip-- one CD that's been knocking me loopy the last few days since I've been spinning it at just about every opportunity is The Fiery Furnaces <i>Blueberry Boat</i>. /--snip~snip-- ;)

I actually have had good luck with Pitchfork recs, and this is in spite of them silly fools lauding Interpol! :p I've been meaning to pick it up but haven't seen it locally and may order it when the new Clinic comes out in two weeks.

How 'bout a preview :rolleyes: copy? I'm not sure what to send in return. Didja ever get around to A Ghost Is Born? Maybe a DVD (if your DVD player reads DVD-R)?

Well, the fall of '04 looks good anyway with newness from The Decemberists, Built To Spill, Spoon, and a few others.

Hey, I finally got around to reading some fiction for a change; The daVinci Code which I liked, probably because it reaffirms my views on the Catholic church's legacy (You don't get to be 100% Irish without paying a price ;) )

~Slosh - sick of being pretty, sick of being cool

Dusty Chalk
08-04-2004, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Davey]Bark Psychosis - Codename: Dustsucker (wow, only a quick listen but can't imagine this one not being a big favorite)/QUOTE]When the Focker airplane did that come out?

dashes off to the record store...

Davey
08-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Bark Psychosis - Codename: Dustsucker (wow, only a quick listen but can't imagine this one not being a big favorite)When the Focker airplane did that come out?

dashes off to the record store...
You know, I shoulda put some more words after that one. The reason I've only heard it once is that I heard a promo copy that a friend had but haven't been able to score my own copy after checking at five stores this past week, two in AZ and three in CA, even though it was supposedly released last week. Hope you have better luck. Might have to order it online as it's released on a little indie label that may be in the UK. Looks like surprisingly poor distribution for such a highly anticipated release at this point. Sounded damn good though. I'd call ahead unless you just wanna hang out at the store anyway. Really nice review in Stylus last week that I posted in another thread.

Dusty Chalk
08-04-2004, 07:06 PM
You're right, I shoulda called ahead, it's not even in their system yet (Borders). Oh, well, I got the new Sound On Sound and Hi-Fi News magazines...I'll be ordering it online, methinks...the reviews are very good. All of them are saying the same thing: picks up right where Hex left off, as if the last 10 years hasn't happened. Since I couldn't get enough of Hex, that's a good thing. As a matter of fact, I think I'll go on a Bark Psychosis rampage right now (Hex, Replay, Independency, and Game Over, the latter three of which are very much a lot of duplication but oh well...).

Of course, now I need to do a little bit of research on Hood, et al, since several of those reviews listed them as "followers".

Davey
08-05-2004, 09:11 AM
I actually have had good luck with Pitchfork recs, and this is in spite of them silly fools lauding Interpol! :p I've been meaning to pick it up but haven't seen it locally and may order it when the new Clinic comes out in two weeks.

How 'bout a preview :rolleyes: copy? I'm not sure what to send in return. Didja ever get around to A Ghost Is Born? Maybe a DVD (if your DVD player reads DVD-R)?

Well, the fall of '04 looks good anyway with newness from The Decemberists, Built To Spill, Spoon, and a few others.

Hey, I finally got around to reading some fiction for a change; The daVinci Code which I liked, probably because it reaffirms my views on the Catholic church's legacy (You don't get to be 100% Irish without paying a price ;) )

~Slosh - sick of being pretty, sick of being cool
Preview copy? Eh? What the frog is that? I could but I don't really have my comp making supplies with me right now, other than my computer and some CDs, and it would take some above and beyond the call of duty effort to get you a copy. Sorry....I'll check with you when I get settled in and we'll get a trade in the works. In the meantime, miss it and you won't be cool anymore, cause everyone and their kids and dogs knows that me and Stoney are cool beyond question :)

Yeah, I like to occasionally rag on Pitchfork and they often do deserve it for some of their intentionally oblique and obscure reviews, but when one of their good reviewers gets their hands on a special album like this one, they usually seem to know what they've got and I've had pretty good luck as well. But I'm kinda picky and don't usually (ever?) buy something just based on a Pitchfork review.

I haven't got the new Wilco yet. Took me a long time to get YHF as well. Gets talked about so much that it seems like I've already heard it so kind of slips down my list. And frankly, there's quiet a few items above it right now so might be awhile....or maybe I don't even need it now. Hmmm, I do have all their other albums.

I haven't read the Da Vinci Code but of course it's based on stories that have been circulating and written about for years. Kind of odd that this book caught on so strongly with the public. Guess Dan Brown is just a better writer than some of the others that have explored the same topic, but most of it is still just conjecture. Kind of funny that the relationship of Jesus and Mary Magdalena is so important to many at this point in time. Lately I've been rereading John Brunner's wacky futurescape <i>Stand On Zanzibar</i> from 1967. Forgot how fractured and fragmented and fast paced it is in the beginning, but starts to smooth out after awhile. Fun book, even if some of his forward thinking does seem a little bit dated now. Surprising that it has never (at least to my knowledge) inspired a movie since that type of scene shifting is so popular in movies now.

Bark Psychosis, David Kilgour, Clinic, Court and Spark and The Libertines are at the top on my upcoming list, but all yours sound like winners too. I just saw that Built To Spill is touring again so that's good news.

Davey
08-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Of course, now I need to do a little bit of research on Hood, et al, since several of those reviews listed them as "followers".
Hood is pretty cool. I'd say they are much more like The Notwist, although the singing isn't quite as engaging and they are just a bit more downtempo. If you can find it, I do have in my records that I sent you a copy of my Spring Cleaning comp a coupla years ago and it had two tunes from their very excellent <i>Cold House</i> CD that I used to mention a lot here. Very worth having and I would think a solid Dusty-type album.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/springcleaning.gif

Slosh
08-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Preview copy? Eh? What the frog is that? I could but I don't really have my comp making supplies with me right now, other than my computer and some CDs, and it would take some above and beyond the call of duty effort to get you a copy. Sorry....I'll check with you when I get settled in and we'll get a trade in the works. In the meantime, miss it and you won't be cool anymore, cause everyone and their kids and dogs knows that me and Stoney are cool beyond question :)

Yeah, I like to occasionally rag on Pitchfork and they often do deserve it for some of their intentionally oblique and obscure reviews, but when one of their good reviewers gets their hands on a special album like this one, they usually seem to know what they've got and I've had pretty good luck as well. But I'm kinda picky and don't usually (ever?) buy something just based on a Pitchfork review.

No worries, mate.

I'll just get it when I get the Clinic album (Domino does a pretty nice job with their LPs so if I have to wait a bit longer . . .). Hey, an engineer and a lawyer recommend it, hmmm . . . :p Speaking of B<a>itchpork, maybe I'll snag Rogue Wave as well.

I have John Irvin's Son of the Circus sitting on my coffee table but I haven't a clue as to when I'll get a chance to read it. It came highly recommended by two people I trust but I'll probably have to wait until I hit the shore next Friday to start it. I wish I wasn't so damn busy all of the time.
NP: SFA - Radiator