Good Movie and Music Sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good Movie and Music Sub?

kdogg
08-02-2004, 11:39 PM
I will be getting the Dynaudio Audience 72 or 82's soon, and I am looking for a good sub to match.

I have read very good things about SVS, but I am concerned about the music performance and tightness of the bass. Anyone have any thoughts on their tightness and music response?

Also, Velodyne looks good for movies but not necessarily music; does anyone else agree?

On the other hand, I might not need a musical sub the the Dyn 82's!

Please post your thoughts. Thanks!

chimera128
08-03-2004, 01:20 AM
I like the supercube reference. I don't know exactly what kind of budget you are looking at but I have been very impressed by the quality of bass my BP7000SC towers have (supercube reference built into each one). Bass drums and percussion are especially exciting to listen to (blue man group). In terms of movies they have the ability to shake the couch, the house, etc. They are cubes though so you could probably buy a bigger sub that performs as well for less money (svs or hsu). HSU (from most reviews I have read) seem to be a tad more musical than SVS. I still haven't gone back to CompUSA to get a listen to the HSU so I'm not sure how it performs. I'm sure you will get many recommendations from both HSU and SVS owners who are more familiar with the lines. I've always liked smaller subs, not necessarily to hide them, but just because I am amazed what can be accomplished with technology. I think the supercube reference retails for around $1750 and is about 17" LxWxH. You could probably pick it up for $1400 or less if you choose to go that route. A good sub will make a big difference.

N. Abstentia
08-03-2004, 04:51 AM
I'd have to vote for the Paradigm Servo 15 if you're looking for high accuracy/sound quality, along with frequency extention (it's flat to 14hz!). It's definitely worth an audition.

goatspeed
08-03-2004, 05:06 AM
SVS would be a fine choice for music and movies. If you are looking into cylindar subs, the 25-36pci or pc+ would work. Depending on your budget, you can get alot better than that. Most folks consider the SVS PB2+ the best sub for under 2000 dollars. That's a square one.

Bryan
08-03-2004, 05:53 AM
1. What is your budget for the sub? Are you talking $1,500, $1K, $750, $500, or around $400 or less?

2. What is your room size? Dimensions plus openings into other rooms and what are there dimensions?

If you have $400 to spend on a sub the Adire Audio Rava may be the sub for you. If you have $600 to spend, the Rocket UFW-10 could be the sub of choice. If you have $1K, dual UFW-10s should fit the bill nicely. For $1,250ish, look to the SVS PB2-Plus. For $1,500, you can't go wrong with the Paradigm Servo 15. Alot depends upon your budget and room size with openings. If you have something other than your primary receiver readily available to power it with, look to either the SVS CS line of subs or ones from VMPS.

3db
08-03-2004, 06:36 AM
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/SVS_subsPB2-ISD_OutlawLFM-1_1.php

Outlaw did very well against SVS and come highly recommended.

Woochifer
08-03-2004, 11:58 AM
For what you're looking for, you should keep sealed subs under consideration because of their quicker transient response and more gradual dropoff in the low frequencies compared to similarly situated ported models. Models that fit this description include the Paradigm Servo 15, Adire Rava, ACI Force, Rocket (don't remember the model #), etc. Ported subs are a lot more common and their strengths are in their efficiency and high output levels, but they are more difficult to design properly and once the sound goes below their tuned frequency, it drops off very quickly.

A lot of the most expensive subs are small sealed units with very high powered amps. Velodyne, Sunfire, and REL all make models for that market segment. I've heard the Velodyne and REL models and they have very impressive deep bass considering how small they are. The Velodyne also comes with a room-EQ built in, which can greatly help even out the bass response.

The tricky thing about subwoofers is that they're very difficult to properly evaluate unless you bring them home and calibrate them. Comparing different subs in different demo rooms is pretty much useless because low frequencies are affected so much by room acoustics, and because it's very unlikely that the demo room subs have been properly calibrated with consistent levels.

IMO, the most important thing you can do is to set up the sub carefully and then do some in room measurements to identify room-related acoustical problems like severe peaks or cancellations. The acoustics can ultimately be a bigger determining factor in what you hear than what model sub you choose. I know that when I first got my Adire Rava (a sub that has a reputation for being "musical" sounding), it was extremely boomy sounding, which I expected because of my room's acoustics. After doing a series of measurements, I identified the frequency peaks that caused the boomy sound, and made adjustments using a parametric equalizer. Accounting for these kinds of room effects have every bit as big an impact on how "musical" or "tight" the bass sounds.

KRiTiKaL
08-03-2004, 06:52 PM
if your room is not any bigger than say 2000cf I definately reccommend a RAVA or if its a bigger room go with the DIY 15" on PE.COM unless you have a big wallet, then its all up to you. :p Happy shopping!

And seriously listen to the advice about room dynamics. has prob more than 60% to do with sound reproduction, well unless your just cranking it big in a little room then its all thrown out the window anyway. Protect your hearing! :D

drseid
08-04-2004, 08:25 AM
I would suggest the ACI Titan if your room is mid-sized or better (and you can afford it's $1000+ price tag). If not, then the ACI Force recommendation from another poster may be just what you are looking for.

---Dave

kdogg
08-04-2004, 03:53 PM
I know the REL is on average more expensive than most subs, but are their lower models like the Q series a good buy to match with some Dynaudio 82's?

I have heard that If you get a Studio III, that you need to sign a waiver stating that you will not sue them for any structural damage to your home or bodily damage.

Apparently it reaches 9hz which is the frequency which can causes loss of concienceness!

Anybody else heard this?