phono inputs?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : phono inputs??

ronning
08-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Hey all-

I just bought a new Yamaha HTR-5760 A/V receiver which I'm loving so far, but I've just realized that it has no phono input. I have a beautiful old Denon DP45F TT which I use occasionally and used to have hooked up to the phono input of my older Sony receiver. If I remember correctly TT's require a specific phono input due to line-levels and specific eq'ing - is this true? If so, is there any way I can get an "adapter" of some sort so I can plug it into my Yammie?

Thanks!

-Olen

markw
08-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Phono preamps are needed to bring up that low signal from a cartridge (in the millivolt range) up to a line level signal that's usable by a standard aux, or line level input.

These are available almost any where at almost any price from $20 or so up to several thousand dollars. Rat Shack sells inexpensive ones ane audio advisor (as well as many other places) sell some more elegant ones. In this case, you might want to go above the Rat Shack ones if you can afford it but, as with everything else, there's a point of diminishing returns. Check out http://www.audioadvisor.com for starters.

Pat D
08-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey all-

I just bought a new Yamaha HTR-5760 A/V receiver which I'm loving so far, but I've just realized that it has no phono input. I have a beautiful old Denon DP45F TT which I use occasionally and used to have hooked up to the phono input of my older Sony receiver. If I remember correctly TT's require a specific phono input due to line-levels and specific eq'ing - is this true? If so, is there any way I can get an "adapter" of some sort so I can plug it into my Yammie?

Thanks!

-Olen
Quite correct, as markw pointed out. If you still have it, you could still use your old Sony receiver's phono input and hook the receiver up at line level to your Yamaha. I doubt if the Sony has pre-outs, but you could use a Tape Out on the Sony and feed it into an auxiliary input or tape input on the Yamaha. Unless there is a grounding problem with this arrangement (you never know!), it should work fine.

There are a number of separate 'phono preamps' out there. I've heard tell of good things from the NAD one, which is not too awful expensive. It should be as good as the phono input section on NAD receivers.

hifitommy
08-03-2004, 06:45 PM
and see whats available. there are used phono preamps for cheeeeep that should do the job .

if you want to go for just a few bucks more, amusicdirect.com has clearaudio micro basic preamps for affordable money and they will do mc carts too.

uncooked
08-04-2004, 02:56 PM
yup, i use a 25 dollar "canadian" one on my yamaha 5650 on the front aux inputs and it works great, you have to hook the ground wire from the TT up to something though. i got the best sound when i put it on the back of my dvd player.

jrflanne
08-13-2004, 05:13 AM
I have the NAD phono preamp and it sounds pretty good, for the money. They cost around $100.

slate1
08-19-2004, 10:13 AM
The Music Hall PhonoPack is an ASTOUNDING small phono pre-amp for only $99 at www.kabusa.com. It's among the quietest I've ever heard and it's sound quality is hard to beat at that price point. It's basically a re-badged Pro-ject Phonobox with some upgraded components. It's also switchable between MM & MC and offers two levels of MM loading (100 & 300pF) which is unheard of at $100.