10" woofer used as chalk board! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 10" woofer used as chalk board!

r0gue
08-02-2004, 06:35 AM
I have a question about sub woofer speakers in home theater application. My 2 year old poped the dust sheild off mine and drew on it with chalk... and when it tore, she hid little toys in it! Suffice to say, I need a new speaker, but I am concerned about cost. I recognize that there is a fair chance something like this could happen again.

The speaker that was in my Advent Sub.10 was (I guess) and 8 ohm. It measured 7.2 across the terminals with a DVM. It is a 10" subwoofer. I can get a 4 ohm 10” sub on e-bay for about $27 shipped. I’m sure it isn’t the greatest speaker, but perhaps it should be good enough for the small zone this speaker is used for (cross-over for the sub is fixed at is 20-200hz).

The question is, can I get away with the 4 ohm speaker (I guess this is car audio stuff). Or do I need to stick with 8 ohm? I’m kind of afraid I will smoke the Amp. Although I barely drive this Sub for use in home theater. All I'm looking for is fair bass for movies etc.

Thanks for any help you can give, a freind reccomended this page as "the place to go" for factual answers.

This Guy
08-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Give me the internal volume of the box it's in and if it is sealed or ported. Don't buy any of that car audio crap, I'll find you a good woofer.

-Joey

pelly3s
08-02-2004, 05:01 PM
not all 4 ohm subs are for car audio. one thing you might want to do is go onto parts express and look for a 10" dayton or something that will work.

r0gue
08-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Give me the internal volume of the box it's in and if it is sealed or ported. Don't buy any of that car audio crap, I'll find you a good woofer.

-Joey

I guess it is ported because it has approx 2" hole in it. It is about a 16" cube cabinet.

Thanks guys!

markw
08-03-2004, 03:58 AM
A speaker system is comprised of three main parts. The speaker itself, more importantly, an enclosure that was designed for exactly that particular speaker, and the crossover. There's more to speaker design and enclosure interaction than simply the impedance and the location of the screw holes and it's size.

If you are curious, lurk around http://www.madisound.com for a while.

Maybe, with the proper information supplied by you, they might be able to come up with a suitable replacment.

This Guy
08-03-2004, 09:52 AM
this should be alright. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=297-616 although try to get a direct replacement from the company first. This woofer will handle 120 watts in your box. Plug the ports so that no air gets out (use a sock or egg crate foam). If you could make the hole a little bigger so that a 12" can fit your options expand quite a bit. What exactly is your budget and how much power does that amp put out?