Yamaha RX-V1400 Upconverting? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-V1400 Upconverting?

Ace H
08-01-2004, 06:12 PM
I have a DVD and a VCR hooked up to my TV via a Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V receiver. The DVD is hooked up through component video and the VCR is hooked up via S-Video (that's the best the VCR will allow). Both are hooked up to different inputs on the TV. I can watch the VCR via the S-Video input or the component video input since both are connected to the rceciver then to the TV.

When I choose to watch the VCR through the component output (remember my VCR does not support component video only S-Video and the lesser composite video), is the Yamaha RX-V1400 actually upconverting the signal from S-Video to component video for the VCR? I do notice a slightly better quality picture using the component video setup.

JeffKnob
08-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Yes, that is what it is doing. I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 also and have my DVD player connected via component cables, my VCR via composite, and my digital cable/DVR box via Svideo. They all travel to my TV from my receiver via a component cable. I love this feature.

Ace H
08-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Jeff,

Just curious, what kind of picture are you getting from your VCR with the composite hookup that's being converted?

JeffKnob
08-01-2004, 06:28 PM
It looks the same as if it were connected right to the TV via composite cable. There is no good way of improving the quality to the level of a component connection if the quality was never there. It is just a great feature because only one set of cables needs to come from the receiver to the TV.

Ace H
08-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks! I was wondering what it would do upconverting composite video. I have a Mitsubishi HiFi VCR and I'm guessing that there isn't that much difference between S-Video and component video thus the slight difference I notice with my connection.