Flaming Lips ??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Lips ???

Number9
12-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Hello, I would like to buy one of their CDs. Which one is best? Yoshimi? Thanks, 9

Dusty Chalk
12-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is good, but I think most people will vote Soft Bulletin or Transmissions From The Satellite Heart

dld
12-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Yoshimi and The Soft Bulletin are both tremedous records, hard to choose between the two. I guess if I had to choose, I would vote Yoshimi but I expect I would be in the minority here. Trasmissions..... is the only other one I have (except an excellent greatest hits comp) and I would rate it a close third.

Snowbunny
12-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Hello, I would like to buy one of their CDs. Which one is best? Yoshimi? Thanks, 9

Well, as much as I hate to disagree with Dusty, I would probably recommend Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots for your first Flaming Lips purchase.

Its a very easy album to like and then once you're a fan, Soft Bulletin will be more accessible. I love Yoshimi but it certainly doesn't have the lasting appeal that Soft Bulletin does.

IMO. I don't have Transmissions From a Satellite Heart yet, but its on my lengthy wishlist.

What bands are you currently enjoying Number9?

Snow

Troy
12-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Yeah, what they said. Yoshimi or Bulletin. If you like one, you will no doubt want the other.

Stone
12-06-2003, 03:01 PM
No one's mentioned Clouds Taste Metallic, so I will. It's not quite as good as Bulletin and Yoshimi, but it's still a damn fine album. To me it seems to be somewhat of a transitional album, with hints of the great things they would do later.

I'd probably recommend getting Yoshimi first, even though it's not my favorite, because of it's relative accessability.