Guidance, please... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guidance, please...

genep
08-01-2004, 08:58 AM
hello,
i know that question like this comes every other minute. nevertheless i would like to ask for help...
I am in a process of upgrading my audio system, and tried very hard to find some general approach guidance on a web. not very succesful, though...
So please point me at the right direction or/and give me your advise.

My room is 12'Wx29'L, with listening place is 18' from the front. The walls of room behind the listening place are filled with open bookshelves.
Current receiver - Onkio TX-905 (to be replaced),
cd player - Onkio DX-C340,
tape (player only, recording deck doesn't work) - Onkio TX-RW404,
dvd player - JVC XV-NP10S,
vcr - Sony SVO-1610
turntable - Pioneer PL-600,
tv - Sony 32'' with S-video in
speakers - JBL studio monitor 4410
digital cable

My budget is ~$1500.
Listening preferences - cd music, dvd, tv, LP, occasionally tape.

What would be an optimum configuration for this setup (surround receiver + speakers)?
Is it possible to use my current JBLs or I need a full set of speakers?

Thanks a lot for your help.

AVMASTER
08-01-2004, 12:09 PM
there r several of way to configure a system with your current room size and budget, unfortunately seeking guidance on the web or chat rooms like this one will only result in opinions; Ultimately YOU r the one who will determine what sounds and looks good. Having said that- I would highly recommend you utilize the web to do research on A/V receivers and source components that have features that meet YOUR needs. Once you're armed with this knowledge visit a custom electronics shop ( not CC or BB ) to SEE, HEAR, FEEL, and/or TOUCH the items you've decided on. Next ask if they will come to your home to do a systems evaluation. With thier recommendation and your choices from your internet research you should be able to come up with the optimum system specifically for you

genep
08-01-2004, 03:16 PM
there r several of way to configure a system with your current room size and budget, unfortunately seeking guidance on the web or chat rooms like this one will only result in opinions; Ultimately YOU r the one who will determine what sounds and looks good. Having said that- I would highly recommend you utilize the web to do research on A/V receivers and source components that have features that meet YOUR needs. Once you're armed with this knowledge visit a custom electronics shop ( not CC or BB ) to SEE, HEAR, FEEL, and/or TOUCH the items you've decided on. Next ask if they will come to your home to do a systems evaluation. With thier recommendation and your choices from your internet research you should be able to come up with the optimum system specifically for you

You are absolutely right. So the reasons I am asking for an advise are following:
1. I am quite a novice in a field. As I mentioned, I tried to find something more or less comprehensive on a web, but was not very succesful.
2. When stuck, I prefer to ask for advise from people who has an expertise, but have no gain from their advise. I mean that I could go to the store (and I did) and ask a saleperson. Results usually are: they want by some reason to sell me some particular brand, or (unfortunately, this is often a case) they just don't have enough expertise.
3. Browsing through the posts I could make an obvious conclusion that people on a forum have a lot more expertise and are a lot more familiar with a current market and particular conditions than store people.

Well, these are my reason. If they seem good enough, please help.
Thank you again.

Wireworm5
08-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Your room is similar to mine which is 11'x 25. Not quite wide enough to have the tv and center on the long wall. So you pretty much have to go length wise. So in your situation I would use the room length wise. Set front floorstanders speakers about four feet into the room from the front wall. With your tv and center channel even with them. Place your sub even with your listening position in the middle of the room.( facing front speakers if it front ported). Place rear speakers about 2 ft in front of your bookshelves facing into room. And if possible put some wood backing on your bookshelves. Otherwise I would place a blanket or curtains in front of them.
Use your Jbl speakers for rears and buy floorstanders for the front with matching center.
My .02 cents