Newbie bookshelf speaker help - do I need a sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie bookshelf speaker help - do I need a sub?

sfpassar
08-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Hi I'm thinking about getting the Polk RTi-4s but they're pushing my budget already. I'm a poor college student and since I'm mainly going to be listening to music in my smallish dorm room, would I really need a sub to go along with the RTi-4s? I haven't had a chance to listen to the Polks yet and I can't seem to find many reviews online. I was hoping someone else has heard them and can share their opinion. I'm also considering the Infinity Beta 10 and the Infinity Primus 150. How do the three compare?

I guess what I'm most concerned about is how low those three bookshelves can go. In general, do bookshelf speakers need a sub and how much of an improvement would a sub provide? Also, what's a good, inexpensive sub? I'm looking at the Polk PSW202 or PSW303 or Infinity PS8 but I'm interested in any sub under $200.

One last thing - I'm going to be living with roommates and even though I take good care of my possessions, I can't guarantee that my roommates will be that careful. How easy is it to blow out speakers and subs and what's the best way to protect them?

Thanks for any input.

- Steve

eisforelectronic
08-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Yes, bookshelf speakers generally a sub. I guess it depends on the music you like though. I run my totems without a sub and it's fine for music that isn't too bass heavy. Take yourself to Circuit City and listen to the Infinity's, Polk's and whatever else you can find. Your ears will tell you more than any review or salesperson ever will.

Geoffcin
08-01-2004, 05:14 AM
Hi I'm thinking about getting the Polk RTi-4s but they're pushing my budget already. I'm a poor college student and since I'm mainly going to be listening to music in my smallish dorm room, would I really need a sub to go along with the RTi-4s? I haven't had a chance to listen to the Polks yet and I can't seem to find many reviews online. I was hoping someone else has heard them and can share their opinion. I'm also considering the Infinity Beta 10 and the Infinity Primus 150. How do the three compare?

I guess what I'm most concerned about is how low those three bookshelves can go. In general, do bookshelf speakers need a sub and how much of an improvement would a sub provide? Also, what's a good, inexpensive sub? I'm looking at the Polk PSW202 or PSW303 or Infinity PS8 but I'm interested in any sub under $200.

One last thing - I'm going to be living with roommates and even though I take good care of my possessions, I can't guarantee that my roommates will be that careful. How easy is it to blow out speakers and subs and what's the best way to protect them?

Thanks for any input.

- Steve

A friend has a Polk system in a basement, it's good, and can play REALLY loud without distortion. ( he uses a Denon amp) Only you can decide if you want a sub with them, but if your into music like hip-hop your going to want one for sure. I've got a good cheap one in a second HT system that I got from Cambridge Soundworks. You can even get a returned one from them off of ebay cheap, and still with a warrantee.

It's pretty hard to burn up speakers, but I've done it, so I can see why you'd be worried.
It's easy to wire a fuse in into the speaker cable. Your can get a fuse holder assy from Radio Shack for like $1.50 ea. Try a 3 amp fuse first, that should provide more than enough protection.