new to audio world---PLEASE HELP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new to audio world---PLEASE HELP

paullevinson
07-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Hello.
First time posting to this forum.
I have a question..
I am in the market to buy a home theater surround system. I currently don’t have anything at all, and I am as far knowing anything about audio gadgets as you are to the moon.
I would like to buy something that is not too expensive (pref. below $300) is that even possible? Should I just stop looking now?
I wanted to see if anyone can explain to me in simple English pluses and minuses of any audio system out there, like what I should look for and what I should stay away from…
Also I found this system at a local electronics store, sales people obviously are trying to sell this to me so they were gushing over it, but I just wanted to get a second non-biased opinion on this:
It’s a Kenwood 5.1 Standard Home Theater System. Model number HTB-307
Can someone tell me anything about this, is it any good .
Thank you very much!!

pwh03
07-30-2004, 02:10 PM
well you'll be hard pressed to really put a full system together for three hundred. Most people here would recomend that you buy your system one piece at a time which is what many of us have done. By the front two speakers and receiver first then move on from there. When your don you'll have a great system that will last a long time.

If you have decided this isn't for you you could probably just go with any mini system llike the one your speaking of.

Search the forum there are a lot of threads like this right now in which people recomend hometheater box sets which are near your price range.

have fun with it
good luck

PH

Geoffcin
07-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Hello.
First time posting to this forum.
I have a question..
I am in the market to buy a home theater surround system. I currently don’t have anything at all, and I am as far knowing anything about audio gadgets as you are to the moon.
I would like to buy something that is not too expensive (pref. below $300) is that even possible? Should I just stop looking now?
I wanted to see if anyone can explain to me in simple English pluses and minuses of any audio system out there, like what I should look for and what I should stay away from…
Also I found this system at a local electronics store, sales people obviously are trying to sell this to me so they were gushing over it, but I just wanted to get a second non-biased opinion on this:
It’s a Kenwood 5.1 Standard Home Theater System. Model number HTB-307
Can someone tell me anything about this, is it any good .
Thank you very much!!

Out of your system, and what you will accept and be happy. If $300 is your budget then the choices are limited to the "HT in a box" stuff. While not awful, you can do a lot better with just a few more $$$ invested. Remember, this is something that your going to use for hundreds of hours each year for your personal enjoyment.

Bryan
08-02-2004, 08:51 AM
$300 will not buy you much these days. Do you want to buy something to have it or do you want to buy something and have it last for a while to come? There is also such a thing called upgraditis which drains your pocketbook after you get your first system.

Additionally, it depends upon what gear you need. Do you just need speakers? Do you need speakers and a sub? Do you need speakers, a sub, and a receiver? One of your best bets, IMO, would be the Yamaha YHT-150 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626340240&skuId=6314614&productCategoryId=cat03010&type=product). It goes for $299 delivered. Now, you will want to upgrade the speakers and sub but the receiver should last you for some time. AV123.com is offering a Rocket Tyke/Kenwood 7100 package for $498 plus shipping. Of course, if you only need speakers and a sub, the Rocket Tyke package may work well for you. If you only need speakers, look to the HSU Ventriloquist or the Fluance SX-HTB.

The plus side of things is you will have an entry level HT and will be able to enjoy the sound effects. You will have something to get you by.

The minus side is you will have to/want to upgrade your gear to truly enjoy the experience. If you have a large room or cubic footage above 3,000 cubic feet a good subwoofer alone can cost you over $450. If you enjoy music the speakers can leave you with something to be desired. The amp section of the receiver may be underpowered. In short, the quality will not be there. You will pay for something only to pay to upgrade it and would have been better off starting off with a much larger budget in the first place.

Get a plan together and do your research. Building slowly is best and do not hesitate to buy good used gear.