acoustic treatments [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : acoustic treatments

hmmmm
07-30-2004, 11:29 AM
I have a room that is 14 x 23' and I'm trying to get it to sound better with some acoustic treatments. The room has laminate flooring over concrete and it definately echoes. It's in the basement with 8 foot ceilings and has one tiny window. I say that because curtains aren't much of an option. I have one oversized couch and chair, a large foamchair, and a 6' x 8' area rug and lots of pillows. I need suggestions on what else to do. Even though it is the "man room," my wife does go down there and we have friends over so I can't put those wierd looking foam things around the room where they are visable. I don't have a problem with bass boominess but when you clap it echoes.
I was going to replace the rug and make it a little larger but what type of pad should I put under it to help? I'm also putting a 5' long painting on the wall and was hoping that might help a little because it is on canvas. Are there things you can hide in the room that would help? Thanks for any suggestions!

Woochifer
07-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Going with a larger, thicker rug will definitely help. As far as the walls go, some typical approaches for echoey rooms are to go with sound absorption along the front wall behind the main speakers, and a combination of diffraction and absorption along the side and back walls. Absorption can be something as simple as hanging a rug or tapestry along the wall, and diffraction can be as simple as putting a bookcase (with books of varying sizes) along the side and/or backwall.

dmb_fan
07-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Some weird looking foam treatments are less weird looking than others. Here are some reasonably priced ideas from Aurelex.com...

kexodusc
07-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Sometimes just partially filling a room with more "stuff" can have a decent effect. My studio benefited tremendously from adding a few plants, a small bookcase, a lamp, an end-table, and hanging some pictures on the wall. Looks a bit more inviting too.
There's still some echo that a decent area rug will probably help, just haven't had time to go get one.

Someone here a few months back suggested taking a mirror along the side walls until I could see the main speakers from my listening position because light and sound waves travel in the same paths. I stuffed a plant and a table in these spots on both sides of the room. This helped out quite a bit and didn't cost me a penny.

Geoffcin
07-30-2004, 04:08 PM
I have a room that is 14 x 23' and I'm trying to get it to sound better with some acoustic treatments. The room has laminate flooring over concrete and it definately echoes. It's in the basement with 8 foot ceilings and has one tiny window. I say that because curtains aren't much of an option. I have one oversized couch and chair, a large foamchair, and a 6' x 8' area rug and lots of pillows. I need suggestions on what else to do. Even though it is the "man room," my wife does go down there and we have friends over so I can't put those wierd looking foam things around the room where they are visable. I don't have a problem with bass boominess but when you clap it echoes.
I was going to replace the rug and make it a little larger but what type of pad should I put under it to help? I'm also putting a 5' long painting on the wall and was hoping that might help a little because it is on canvas. Are there things you can hide in the room that would help? Thanks for any suggestions!

When you have Planar speakers like I do, is room treatments.

There are remedies; A rug will help damp the room, but still doesn't directly address slap echo. You want to "break" the echo The idea is to breakup the parallels in such a way that the soundwave doesn't get reinforced. It's not too hard if you have some furniture in the room to move it around so it doesn't allow too much wall-opposing-wall exposure. Second the "rear wall" behind your listening position should be as absorptive as possible. This can be difficult to do, but worth it. It was hard to do in my room, but I've figured a way by adding a large oil painting to the wall. While decorative, it's actually hiding a bunch of acoustic absorbent foam.

mtrycraft
07-30-2004, 06:58 PM

The posted links show some nice materials. You could probably make something like them yourself, or the wife could help make it if she sews?
Unfortunately your painting will not help at all, too thin.
Ask your wife what would be acceptable to her. Show the links to her.

gonefishin
07-31-2004, 04:46 AM
Hi :)

I'm just a novice myself when it comes to room treatments...But I'll include links to some pages that I've found useful.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that you don't have to make the room treatments permanent fixtures. If you've got panels or bass traps...and a wife that is very accepting of the audio hobby like mine...that stops accepting at room treatments. Just make them portable and removable.

Acoustical Forums

Rives Audio Forum (at AudioAsylum) (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/rives/bbs.html)

The Acoustical Circle (at Audio Circle) (http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=73&sid=2a3d5435c3bbe3391ef1f80ef8d38392)

Project notes

Listening Room construction notes (at PSaudio) (http://www.psaudio.com/articles/listening_room_1.asp)

DIY Acoustical treatments page (Jon Risch) (http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm)

Ethan Winer's Articles and information (lots of info here...but you have to search thru the links to get to all of them) (http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html)

Hope it helps...take your time...and have fun!

hmmmm
07-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks for all of the help everyone! I'm going to run to a local music store that sells acoustic products for various applications. I just spent about 3 hours reading on some of the links you provided. I'm going to start with the carpet of course and work with some of the other suggestions. Thanks!

dmb_fan
08-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Hmmm,

I believe musiciansfriend.com or sweetwater.com will provide Auralex acoustic treatments for far cheaper than the stuff you'll find at a local hi-fi shop. And last week I posted the website wrong for Auralex. It's auralex.com. It's also a great educational site.

Best of luck to ya!
-Adam

Thomas_A
08-02-2004, 01:52 PM

A thick big rug, covering as much as possible of the floor will help.

Other than that, build a damping wall at the wall where the speakers are. In short, the whole wall, but no other one, should be covered. Put 100 mm deep wood "braces" on the wall and stuff 95 mm thick glass wool inbetween. Cover this by perforated thin hardboard. On top of this put acoustic foam, 6 cm thick. Use some kind of wooden braces and cover the whole thing with some nice fabric. Takes some time, but it could be done to look nice, although it probably needs some discussion with your wife. :)

I myself only made two 1x1 m damping panels, but did not bother to cover them with fabric. When I move to the next apartment, I will try build a whole damping wall though. It makes wonders for the sound.

T