What's to Los? Los Lonely Boys vs. Los Lobos [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's to Los? Los Lonely Boys vs. Los Lobos

Worf101
07-30-2004, 03:20 AM
The similarities between the two bands run far deeper than their respective names. I sat down with both their "commercial" debut albums last night and listened to them back to back, a couple of times.

1. Production - Whle "And a Time to Dance" was their first "commercial" release, Los Lobos didn't go "wide" until "How Will the Wolf Survive?". Despite being more than 20 years old, the latter album by Los Lobos has a more polished feel. Although not their first album, it's the first one anyone outside of East L.A. might have heard. You can tell that there's a major label behind the production of the work. "Los Lonely Boys" has a more retro/garage tinge to it. Whether this is the result of default or design I do not know. Both are listenable with no glaring artifacts.

2. Songs - The Lonely Boys albums has hooks, but often it's the same hook. There are three songs that are quite similar in feel to the hit "How Far is Heaven?" It's not a bad thing so much as worrisome thing for future production. Los Lonely Boys also display the tight harmonies that only brothers singing together can sometimes produce. Los Lobos' debut is fare more musically diverse. It's also closer to it's Tejano roots with the use of Flaco on accordian on many tracks. To sit and listen to, Los Lobos, to dance to, Los Lonely Boys.

3. Musicianship - Los Lobos can play rings around the new comers, simple as that, except maybe in the area of drums. But to be fair Los Lobos is a LOT larger band. Los Lonely is a three piece outfit and often it sounds like it. I'd love to see em live though to really check out how they handle it.

Conclusion - Los Lobos has been around for years and have done the hard work, producing interesting and complex albums over that time. Los Lonely Boys are young, handsome, and somewhat talented but I give no kudos until the sophmore album is done. The second effort is where the rubber meets the road. The combination of touring, writing and pressure for a followup album has killed more bands than anthrax. It's simple truth though that without Los Lobos there'd have been no Los Lonely Boys, hell they could be their kids musically. I'll be watching to see what the kids have for round two.

Da Worfster :cool:

kexodusc
07-30-2004, 05:53 AM
Los Lonely Boys are young, handsome, and somewhat talented but I give no kudos until the sophmore album is done. The second effort is where the rubber meets the road. The combination of touring, writing and pressure for a followup album has killed more bands than anthrax.

Truer words have never been spoken. Quite often "debut" albums are comprised of tracks from several earlier releases on minor labels and have enjoyed years of review, refinement, polishing and perfecting. Follow-up albums are the true test.
My personal beef with the industry today is the insane pressure the suits put on performers. It seems you've got 18 - 24 months to write a 2nd album and get it out, just a few months after your final "video" drops off MTV's charts.
This in my opinion is the biggest compromise facing all music today.

Interestingly enough, Worfster, I just got finished a similar conversation where someone ultimately told me that Los Lobos is to Jimi Hendrix as Los Lonely Boys are to Lenny Kravitz...not sure that's fair, but I was losing that argument so I left it. I don't hear much Hendrix in Kravitz, really, and even if I did, it's too early to tell with Los Lonely Boys.

Worf101
07-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Truer words have never been spoken. Quite often "debut" albums are comprised of tracks from several earlier releases on minor labels and have enjoyed years of review, refinement, polishing and perfecting. Follow-up albums are the true test.
My personal beef with the industry today is the insane pressure the suits put on performers. It seems you've got 18 - 24 months to write a 2nd album and get it out, just a few months after your final "video" drops off MTV's charts.
This in my opinion is the biggest compromise facing all music today.

Interestingly enough, Worfster, I just got finished a similar conversation where someone ultimately told me that Los Lobos is to Jimi Hendrix as Los Lonely Boys are to Lenny Kravitz...not sure that's fair, but I was losing that argument so I left it. I don't hear much Hendrix in Kravitz, really, and even if I did, it's too early to tell with Los Lonely Boys.

Hm, I don't quite buy that analogy.... it's interesting and "kinda" makes sense but it depends on where you're coming from. I love Los Lobos but as good as they are they're NOT as groundbreaking as Jimi. I don't think the gulf between Los Lobos and Los Lonely's is as large a gulf as that between Kravits and Hendrix. I'd say more like the gap between Hendrix and Prince. With Prince being younger, smarter, flashier with more hooks but Jimi was there firstest with the mostest.

Interesting take I will say.

Swish
07-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Hm, I don't quite buy that analogy.... it's interesting and "kinda" makes sense but it depends on where you're coming from. I love Los Lobos but as good as they are they're NOT as groundbreaking as Jimi. I don't think the gulf between Los Lobos and Los Lonely's is as large a gulf as that between Kravits and Hendrix. I'd say more like the gap between Hendrix and Prince. With Prince being younger, smarter, flashier with more hooks but Jimi was there firstest with the mostest.

Interesting take I will say.

Kravitz is all about style over substance. Is there anything wrong with his songs? Not really, they're just, well, boring. His guitar playing? He seems ok, but never really shows any flash, so I'm sure he's kinda mediocre skill-wise. "I'm gonna fly away, yeah, yeah". That's a big hit? "Are you gonna go my way"? No thanks. I think there's a huge chasm between him and Hendrix, and it's bigger than the Grand Canyon.

As for your comments about Los Lobos, I couldn't agree more. They're one of the tightest and best rock bands around. Their live shows include dead-on covers along with plenty of their original tunes, and they never disappoint. The jury is still out on Los Lonely Boys, although they sound pretty decent so far.

Regards,
Swishy

mad rhetorik
08-03-2004, 08:08 AM
The Hendrix v. Kravitz comparison is an interesting one, but I don't think it applies to Los Lobos v. Los Lonely Boys, because the latter band actually <b>has</b> talent. ; )

Actually, I don't think Los Lonely Boys even sounds that much like Los Lobos to me. Los Lobos has way more of a "Latino barband/mariachi" vibe, at least from what I've heard. In the Lonely Boys I hear more along the lines of Santana (pre-<b>Supernatural</b> cash-in era) and SRV. I also hear a bit of Dicky Betts influence in the guitar playing, but that's just me I guess. Also dig the fact that Los Lonely Boys are a trio and manage to hold together quite well.

I think this band has a future, and at the very least they're a nice departure from the rut that the music industry has dug itself. No angst, no cheesy novelties, even the video for "Heaven" is pretty cool. Just the boys, their instruments, and a nice Southwestern backdrop--refreshing.

kingcrim05
08-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Back to the topic, i just saw Los Lobos play at Summerfest in Milwaukee, WI. They put on a hell of a show. My mom was even standing and dancing the whole time which really says a lot. Good weather, good beer and good music. Too bad the cost of 2 beers is more than the cost of the ticket to get in....