newbie appreciating help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : newbie appreciating help

brinne19
07-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Dear forum,
I am new to the home audio enviroment, although i am familiar with the car audio enviroment. I am currently looking for speakers and have been searching this forum for the past few days trying to get ideas. I auditioned some B&W's today at a local sound shop and havent ever heard anything like those before. My current problem is budget I cant justify spending more than $600 on a set of speakers. I am not looking for 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 ect as they will mostly be used for music listening. I was leaning towards tower speakers because i wouldnt need a subwoofer but am willing and open to all suggestions. I would love high quality but am constrained by budget. on a side note these speakers will prob be getting a lot of use with the people i am living with. Thank you for any help you can provide and i think you all have a really amazing forum.

jasmit
07-29-2004, 09:04 PM
If you like the B&W sound, you might be able to get the DM602.5 series 3 floorstanders for around $630/pr; that's MSRP of $700 minus a not-unheard-of 10% discount from an authorized dealer.

There are alot of folks who believe that some of the better audio bargains are found at Internet only companies. Just based on some of the things I've read on audio forums about the following speakers, you might want to look into them as well: Axiom Audio M50ti ($620/pr.) and Rocket RS 550 by Onix ($599/pr. B-stock).

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m50ti.html

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=stock&product=14.1

Most of the audio companies that sell from Internet sites have liberal 30-day no questions asked return policies which allow you to audition them in your home.

You can also find some serious bargains on gently used speakers at Audiogon and Videogon, but shipping costs for heavy towers can add up.

As I'm sure you know and as I'm sure most folks will tell you, you really need to go out and listen to alot of speakers. They all have their own sound and choosing them is a very subjective process.

Good luck!

chimera128
07-29-2004, 09:15 PM
The only thing I can tell you is listen to as many different brands (and types) of speakers that you can in your area. I used to like the way B&W speakers sounded as well but after auditioning DefTech speakers decided that I liked the bipolar sound better. To me B&W and other direct radiating speakers sounded like they were missing something. Not that they didn't sound good, I just liked the spaciousness of the bipolar/dipolar speakers I listened to more. You can typically get speakers for 20% off and demo models (I'm not sure if any models are changing) for close to 40% or more off that still have the full manufacturers warranty. I bought my BP10Bs for $660 and they put out more bass, as well as tighter bass, than my 10 in sub/satellite combo i was using. But as I have said before bipolar speakers aren't for everyone and it is best if you go out and audition as many speakers before making your decision to find one that you like. When you narrow it down to a few try to listen to those back-to-back, that way their impressions will still be fresh in your mind.

Wireworm5
07-30-2004, 12:02 AM
My friend, this is where I wasted most of my money in building my system, at the beginning. I could not justify spending over $300 bucks on speakers either. As I got more and more interested in better audio I made several upgrades. Turns out that if I had bought the $2000 speakers in the beginning I would have saved money.I am not trying to talk you into spending money just save some by not making the mistakes I made. You need to ask yourself how serious you are about audio. Maybe you don't know the answer to that, then buy something cheap until you know for sure. If your serious, start reading reviews on this site and make a list of some good quality speakers. Go out and listened to them. And when you finally have the money go for it!. You can thank me later.

drseid
07-30-2004, 03:43 AM
The only thing I can tell you is listen to as many different brands (and types) of speakers that you can in your area. I used to like the way B&W speakers sounded as well but after auditioning DefTech speakers decided that I liked the bipolar sound better. To me B&W and other direct radiating speakers sounded like they were missing something. Not that they didn't sound good, I just liked the spaciousness of the bipolar/dipolar speakers I listened to more. You can typically get speakers for 20% off and demo models (I'm not sure if any models are changing) for close to 40% or more off that still have the full manufacturers warranty. I bought my BP10Bs for $660 and they put out more bass, as well as tighter bass, than my 10 in sub/satellite combo i was using. But as I have said before bipolar speakers aren't for everyone and it is best if you go out and audition as many speakers before making your decision to find one that you like. When you narrow it down to a few try to listen to those back-to-back, that way their impressions will still be fresh in your mind.

I second the recommendation of the BP-10s. DefTech makes some great products for the money. At the $600/pr. price point, these may just be what you are looking for.

---Dave

brinne19
07-30-2004, 08:05 AM
I like the idea that many of you are posting about buying demo models, my question is when would companies be willing to sell these( ie. do i just walk in the store and ask to negotiate on demo models), also I am trying to scratch together more money towards better speakers to add more choices. Thanx for all the help.
-Brian

psonic
07-30-2004, 09:00 AM
See if there's an Energy dealer in your area...you won't be dissapointed...the C-5 with a with the excellent 1" aluminum tweeter and dual 6.5in woofers goes for $599-699 depending on the dealer, call a few and go audtition if they perhaps have a display model you can get for <$500, they may even negotiate down close to that for an in-box pair. There are also some online vendors that I've seen selling them under $500. They are some very good speakers regardless of price. I ended up buying a used set of Dynaudio 60s, $1200 new, but in got them in your price range on audiogon.com. You can expect to pay 50-60 for coast to coast shipping of floorstanders btw. The C-5 can hold it's own and was one of my top choices, even when going over $1000. A subwoofer is not required w/ this speaker as you'll see in the reviews below. Enjoy and listen to as many speakers as you can before deciding...but these are very tough to beat at the price if your looking new.

http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/c...akers1_c-5.html

http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/p...ur_reviews.html

http://www.energy-speakers.com/deal...er_locator.html

jasmit
07-30-2004, 05:25 PM
I like the idea that many of you are posting about buying demo models, my question is when would companies be willing to sell these( ie. do i just walk in the store and ask to negotiate on demo models), also I am trying to scratch together more money towards better speakers to add more choices. Thanx for all the help.
-Brian

Usually dealers will sell demos when a newer model of the demo comes out. For example, when Paradigm came out with the Studio 20v.3 (version 3), the dealers put their Studio 20v.2's (version 2) on sale at reduced prices. You can sometimes learn when new models of speakers are coming out by reading audio publications like Sound and Vision, Stereophile, Home Theater Magazine, etc. They will frequently announce when new gear is on the horizen. Also, you can learn about new gear coming out each year when the audio/video industry has their annual trade shows, e.g., the Consumer Electronics Show which, I believe is held each January.

Also, from time to time, dealers will have used speakers that someone returned when they traded up. They will invariably offer them at decent prices.

More money? That's a good thing. Spending more money will usually get you better speakers.

topspeed
07-30-2004, 09:28 PM
What do you listen to? What will you be driving them with? How big is the room?

brinne19
07-30-2004, 09:52 PM
umm i listen to a lot of classic rock, jazz, jam music(ie phish, string cheese incident) and classical, the speakers will be goin in basically a box room, a comon room for my dorm room, and i will be powering them with most likely an onkoy or harmon/kardon reciever.

topspeed
07-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks.

At your current price point, if you still want a floorstander, I'd audition the Athena F2 and maybe Polk Audio, although the Polks might be a bit tubby in the bass for classical.

Personally, I'd highly recommend you stay with monitors for a couple of reasons:
1) They will very likely image a lot better than any floorstanders at this price.
2) Most lower priced floorstanders aren't built that well and suffer from cabinet resonance.
3) You'll have more placement options which is important as you'll likely be moving every year.
4) You'll be buying a more accurate, higher quality monitor than you would floorstander at the same price point.
5) After you make/save enough money to build your system, you can move the monitors to the back for HT or hi-rez.

If you decide to go with monitors, I'd audition Von Schweikert VR1's, JM Lab's Chorus S (can't remember the model), Monitor Audio, Mission, Meadowlark, and Epos. Among standmounts from these manufacturers, the VR1's will play the lowest (40hz) and with the most verve. However, that doesn't mean they are the best. You'll have to listen to as many as you can (including all of the fine recommendations already made) and decide what suits you best. You have a lot of options so take your time and enjoy the ride. A great set of speakers will give you literally decades of enjoyment. I still revel in the sound from the Missions I bought while in college and that was quite a while back :).

BTW, don't sweat the list price of the VR1's, they can be had for $650-700 new if you haggle hard enough. I should know, that's what I paid for them.