Almost killed by Bose Lovers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Almost killed by Bose Lovers

Worf101
07-29-2004, 06:50 AM
I was in a Volvo dealership yesterday test driving their XC90 Sport Ute when I was surprisingly drawn into a classic Bose battle.

I'd just finished my test drive and was asking the sales guy who made the sound system (quite nice I may add) in the car. He said that "Volvo has their own proprietary system". I was fine with that but then this yuppie couple chimed in with the following:

"You mean this doesn't come with a Bose system? Every car we've bought has a Bose system installed, it's simply the finest you can get. Our home systems are all Bose as well."

I responded to the dealer, "it's fine if it's NOT Bose, I can live with it."

Now I'm not a rabid Bose Basher by any means and I would've let the whole thing go right there. But the couple then turns to me and begins addressing me as if I were some cretin.

"No you don't know what you're missing, you have to hear Bose to believe it."

Still smiling I said, "I have heard many Bose products from the 901 to the Wave Radio, they're not my cup of tea." I was going to leave it at that but they wouldn't stop.

"What's wrong with Bose? What's better than Bose?" The tone was accusatory and patronizing and now I was pissed. I'd didn't like being badgered by strangers about a subject I know something about. They were uninformed, whiney and condecending (sp). So I let em have it.

"Folks you can buy what you like use what you like, but many people who are audio enthusiasts do not consider Bose products top shelf and many believe they're overpriced for the sound produced. As for what's better than Bose? I personally own 6 sets of speakers from various manufacturers that I prefer to Bose. My Allison 4's, Platinum Audio Studio 3's, Ohm Walsh 4's, F's and 2's. All of these speakers old discontinued models and they are STILL superior in sound, fidelity and design to current Bose products. These speakers are NOT sold on late night TV or given away as door prizes. Take a trip to any store that sells B&W or other top flight gear and see what your money can really buy."

I then turned and walked away. I guess words carry a little different weight when coming from a large, 6'1" Black man then from say Don Knotts. They left me alone after that.

Da Worfster :rolleyes:

skeptic
07-29-2004, 07:17 AM
AWHOOOOOOOO! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!

yip, yip, yip

Ya sure showed them!

topspeed
07-29-2004, 07:35 AM
You da man, Worfster! C'mon, admit it...it felt good puttin' them in their place, didn't it?

I can't STAND people that don't know what they don't know. Ignorance is just something I can't tolerate, especially pompous morons like these cretins. Great job on setting them straight. You just know they are still talking about it as we speak :D.

I think Nusiclovover said Volvo used Dynaudio, although I don't know if the XC series has them or not. It's funny, but every Volvo I've been in has a killer stereo (by OEM car audio standards) and they invariably have the best seats in autodom. So fess up, didja like the XC90 (btw, turbo 5 or 6?) and do you have a new toy in your garage?

JSE
07-29-2004, 08:21 AM
People like that deserve BOSE. Nothing you or anyone else will ever tell them will change their mind. You could put people like that in a room with a good system and their BOSE system and even after hearing the HUGE difference in sound, they will still claim BOSE is the best because it's the trendy, and I use the term lightly, "Sound System". It's what Biff and Buff have and so do Chester and Lovey. (In my best Thurston Howl (sp?) voice) It must be the best, ah yes, Hmm, Hmmm, Hmmm, Hmmm, Hmmm, Yes!

BTW, a coworker of mine just got the 90 and she loves it. I road in it the other day and the sound system is quite nice. I have also heard Volvo uses Dynaudio but I have never seen anything official on this.

JSE

skeptic
07-29-2004, 08:44 AM
I have never heard a Bose car audio sound system but I can attest to the fact that the Ford/JBL system in my car stinks. I bought the car used but for whoever bought it new, it was a total ripoff.

Resident Loser
07-29-2004, 08:47 AM
...have handled yourself quite reasonably but, judging by some of the subsequent posts, one question "Anyone but me see the irony in all this?"...

Particularly lines like this:

"I can't STAND people that don't know what they don't know. Ignorance is just something I can't tolerate, especially pompous morons like these cretins. Great job on setting them straight."

Even if the first line made any sense at all(which it doesn't IMO)...it's certainly reassuring that there are those walking among us mere mortals who have all the answers...I wonder what level of particular expertise is above "pompous moron cretin" is it "Ultra-pompous"?

jimHJJ(..."extra super-size"...)

piece-it pete
07-29-2004, 09:22 AM
I don't know, Worf, Don looking for his bullet is pretty intimidating!!

Pete

Worf101
07-29-2004, 09:41 AM
You da man, Worfster! C'mon, admit it...it felt good puttin' them in their place, didn't it?

I can't STAND people that don't know what they don't know. Ignorance is just something I can't tolerate, especially pompous morons like these cretins. Great job on setting them straight. You just know they are still talking about it as we speak :D.

I think Nusiclovover said Volvo used Dynaudio, although I don't know if the XC series has them or not. It's funny, but every Volvo I've been in has a killer stereo (by OEM car audio standards) and they invariably have the best seats in autodom. So fess up, didja like the XC90 (btw, turbo 5 or 6?) and do you have a new toy in your garage?

well almost. The only thing about the confrontation I enjoyed was the fact that I wasn't overly loud, just kinda cool-n-quiet. Not over emotional if you catch my drift. As for the XC-90... unlike with other less expensive toys I'm a REALLLLLLL SLOOOOOOWWW car shopper. Whatever I buy's gonna have my a** in it for at least 5 years so I make sure I do it right.

I didn't buy the XC-90 but if I do it'll have the twin turbo's, winter package and handling stuff. The rest??? I'm not sure. That car's expensive. I can almost get everything I want in a Honda Pilot, but then I'd be driving a Honda and I'd have to hang myself.

Da Worfster

Worf101
07-29-2004, 09:51 AM
...have handled yourself quite reasonably but, judging by some of the subsequent posts, one question "Anyone but me see the irony in all this?"...

Of course I see the irony of it, intolerance can cut both ways. And I'd be just as bad as they were had I imposed my opinion on them but I did not. They butted into my conversation, not the other way around. They took it on themselves to educate me, assuming I needed educating on the subject. I know I don't know everything about audio, or even everthing about Bose but I do know what I like and what I'm willing to spend money on so.... that's why I said what I said. I was banned from CompUSA for a time because I told other customers the truth about certain computer systems and what they would cost elsewhere. From that experience and others I learned one thing...

"You don't have to go lookin' for trouble.. sit still long enough and it'll find you...."

Da Worfster :rolleyes:

Worf101
07-29-2004, 09:52 AM
I don't know, Worf, Don looking for his bullet is pretty intimidating!!

Pete

has ruined my day with laughter!!!! Good one Pete, good one. :D

kexodusc
07-29-2004, 10:10 AM
I never cease to be amazed by the sheer audacity of some people.

I don't buy anything that is advertised in the pages of Delta Airline's in-flight magazines.

But even if Bose was among the best sounding speakers on the planet, these folks had some nerve telling you what you should ask for in a car.

As for what's better than Bose? I personally own 6 sets of speakers from various manufacturers that I prefer to Bose. My Allison 4's, Platinum Audio Studio 3's, Ohm Walsh 4's, F's and 2's.

Sad part is they probably have never heard of any of these. I suppose if you walk into Sears and listen to a Bose system compared to a Panasonic or Sony HTIB system, you're gonna think quite highly of Bose. I saw this happen not too long ago and it took every ounce of restraint NOT to butt into the conversation and advise the couple of some "alternative solutions".

Bose may be all about marketing or lifestyle or whatever, but I can't really blame them for wanting to make a buck.

I don't have anything against Bose, just some of the people that buy them.

dean_martin
07-29-2004, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=kexodusc]I don't buy anything that is advertised in the pages of Delta Airline's in-flight magazines.

Oh, no! I first saw my new watch in the Skymall catalog on a NorthWest Airlines flight. (I found it for $20 less at Wal-Mart.) Can I still hang out here - I don't own Bose?

Sorry, I couldn't leave the coincedence alone.

skeptic
07-29-2004, 12:24 PM
"...it's certainly reassuring that there are those walking among us mere mortals who have all the answers..."

That's why you're so lucky RL that you ran into me. I know the answer before you even ask the question. What's tough is convincing some people who just don't want to hear the right answer. Sometimes I feel I need a jackhammer just to get through the thick stone wall. Why bother to ask a question if you already know the answer or have your mind made up?

piece-it pete
07-29-2004, 12:32 PM
dean, well since you don't own bose..... :)

Chef, I mean Worf, I take my time with cars too. Have you considered the Jag XJ? I did too, till the salesman made me leave, he said the drool was messing up the finish.

I probably could have bought one wheel - maybe.

I understand about the Honda and killing yourself lol. Although my bro-in-law bought a Pilot and loves it, and I must admit it looks good - a Honda! - shudder.

Have you eyeballed the new Chrysler 300c?

Pete

Woochifer
07-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Wow, that was a great jab-uppercut combination. Good showing!

Just amazes me how many of these brainwashed lemmings I've heard over the years just in the limited time that I spend at audio stores. About half of the time whenever I visit a store, I'll overhear someone asking about Bose and the sales reps having to explain to the customer why something like B&W, Paradigm, Gallo Acoustics, Energy, Dynaudio, or Klipsch are better products. One of the stores in my area resorted to buying their own Bose Acoustimass system just so they can let the customers hear for themselves how the Bose compares to other brands.

A friend of mine who used to work at an audio store said that about half of his customers asked about Bose, and he got pretty fed up with having to address that question all the time, until his store picked up the Bose line. He would still suggest other alternatives because truthfully he thought that Bose was way overpriced and underperforming. But, if a customer came in deadset on Bose, at least after his store picked up the brand, my friend could make a quick sale rather than have to spend an hour explaining and demoing the alternatives only to have a customer still leave the store deadset on buying Bose no matter what their ears told them.

I've only had to chime in once about Bose at a store, and that was when I saw a skeptical look in a couple of customers' faces when the sales rep cupped his hand over his mouth to demonstrate what Bose speakers sound like. I just told those customers, "Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about. No highs no lows must be Bose is a popular saying for a reason." The sales rep was happy about the assist. I was just trying to hurry along the other customers' demo (wound up playing a set of the Gallo Acoustics Micros), so that the sales rep could help me! That I did a public service was just a side benefit!

skeptic
07-29-2004, 01:22 PM
I just got an e-mail from Amar. Your incident is taking its toll. Sales are already down. He says if things don't pick up, he may have to cancel Mardi Gras in Rio next Spring and go to New Orleans instead. In fact if sales stay this bad, he might have to trade in his car for a Honda Pilot. (What kind of radio did you say it has?)

RGA
07-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Yeah but Worf - the big question - which speakers are on the starship Enterprise - and which one's present Klingon Opera best? Maybe Bose would be a blessing.

eisforelectronic
07-30-2004, 01:28 AM
As a general guideline, when selling audio products and someone asks for a bose system, you shut your mouth, sell it, and take the generous commission Dr. Bose has chosen to share with you. Save the education for someone who asks for it. One thing about Bose is it probably won't be returned. I once sold two Lifestyle 12's to two twin brothers and made about $500, took less than 15 mins.

Swerd
07-30-2004, 06:19 AM
As a general guideline, when selling audio products and someone asks for a bose system, you shut your mouth, sell it, and take the generous commission Dr. Bose has chosen to share with you. Save the education for someone who asks for it. One thing about Bose is it probably won't be returned. I once sold two Lifestyle 12's to two twin brothers and made about $500, took less than 15 mins.
"Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

H.L. Menken

piece-it pete
07-30-2004, 06:23 AM

"There's a sucker born every minute."

P.T. Barnum

kexodusc
07-30-2004, 06:31 AM
"There's a sucker born every minute."

--Dr. Amar G. Bose

Audie Oghaisle
07-30-2004, 07:07 AM
Bose-bashers don't know how to listen...to Bose that is...I have nil intent to join the fray, as I've said all I'm gonna say in a previous thread save for this: there is a distinct difference between direct radiators and the propagation characteristics of speakers such as the 901s. Comparing one with the other is a fools errand, beyond that I couldn't give a sheep's bladder.

And please, spare us all the hackneyed rhetoric.

kexodusc
07-30-2004, 07:16 AM
Bose-bashers don't know how to listen...to Bose that is...I have nil intent to join the fray, as I've said all I'm gonna say in a previous thread save for this: there is a distinct difference between direct radiators and the propagation characteristics of speakers such as the 901s. Comparing one with the other is a fools errand, beyond that I couldn't give a sheep's bladder.

I fear the worst...go easy on him guys.

Audie Oghaisle
07-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Please, don't do me any favors!

I can and do hear the difference in the presentation of both types of loudspeakers, unfortunately it's the Bose-bashing types who can't, and thusly reveal themselves to be the closed-minded cretins they accuse others of being.

The poster who gave the "cupped hand" analogy is quite correct in that characterization, in a side by side audition Bose will fail every time. However, if one takes the time to listen "into" the soundfield produced by a properly set up pair of 901's instead of expecting to be bowled-over by them(or audibly assaulted) based strictly on experience with direct radiator units, the sound is, in fact, quite accurate. Sorry if you don't agree.

They may not be everyone's cuppa, but that's why there's vanilla and chocolate.

kexodusc
07-30-2004, 08:01 AM
I don't disagree with some of what you say, and I'll remain open to the possibility that Bose 901's can sound good. Many of my seniors swore they were competent speakers in earlier versions with some subtle and easy modifications. I do know they are not in their current incarnation.
But you're obviously looking for a huge flame war here, and I fear you've come to a place where people love to flame.

You've got way too much time on your hands if that's the case...seriously...what did you hope to accomplish by posting a defense of Bose in the middle of a thread oozing Bose bashing posts? Not to make friends with locals, that's for sure. Not to make a worthwhile contribution to another's request, either. Not even a cheap humorous pop.

You seem to understand that you cannot change the opinion of Bose-bashers, so why even bother wasting your time here? Please explain your intentions. Have you've come looking to argue? Are you lonely? I would have thought you satisfied that hunger for bickering in your previous thread...maybe you didn't.

Audie Oghaisle
07-30-2004, 08:42 AM
as long as one toes(or is it tows) the party line all is well, what is this "AA" Lite?

Everyone's foundation on that shaky ground? Can't stand the thought of being blinkered Philistines mired in their own pre-conceived notions?

"But you're obviously looking for a huge flame war here, and I fear you've come to a place where people love to flame....You've got way too much time on your hands if that's the case..."

FYI, don't let the "newbie" fool you, I've been about for quite some time. Merely had trouble re-registering from one of this sites previous incarnations. Perhaps you wouldn't remember. I have too much time on my hands? The Bose chum certainly brought out the bottom-feeders, so whatabout them?

"...seriously...what did you hope to accomplish by posting a defense of Bose in the middle of a thread oozing Bose bashing posts?..."

Simply taking my freedom of speech out for a little exercise, problem with that? BTW, I didn't defend anything, simply offered an alternative viewpoint, problem with that?

"Not to make friends with locals, that's for sure."

If I want more friends, I'll adopt another dog!

"...Not to make a worthwhile contribution to another's request, either..."

Another's request? Where? What? Who? The initial poster related a story of what transpired at a car dealership. Oh, I see. Again, I didn't join in with the @$$-slapping, semi-homo-erotic bonding ritual as did others, so I must be at fault. Yes, I see that now.

"Not even a cheap humorous pop."

I am the audience, YOU(the collective) are the humor.

"You seem to understand that you cannot change the opinion of Bose-bashers, so why even bother wasting your time here?'

Because I choose to now and again.

"Please explain your intentions."

I'm not asking for anyone's hand in marriage, is that a requirement of the by-laws?

"Have you've come looking to argue?"

I never engage in a battle of wits with the unarmed.

"Are you lonely?"

Worst internet pick-up line I've ever read...sorry pal, I don't swing that way.

"I would have thought you satisfied that hunger for bickering in your previous thread..."

Just shows you how WRONG you can be.

kexodusc
07-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Okay, you got me there...You win!!!

Worf101
07-30-2004, 09:49 AM
Well, I'll give you credit Mr. Bose lover you sure no how to clear a room. I guess if it had been you who I ran into in the dealership we'd still be arguing right now. Well, to each his own. My original post was NOT a Bose Bash but a description of what occurred. That's all, no more no less.

Da Worfster

Swerd
07-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Well, I'll give you credit Mr. Bose lover you sure no how to clear a room.
Da Worfster

I just can't resist that one ;)

"Hell hath no fury like a Bose 901-lover scorned by a bunch of @$$-slapping, semi-homo-erotic ritual bonders."

T.H.E. Swerd

piece-it pete
07-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey I'm a bottom-feeder! I guess I've been called worse :) .

We'll have to sic Don on him!

Pete

Audie Oghaisle
07-30-2004, 11:40 AM
your characterization of me is an accurate one, I simply am aware of the sonic differences involved. I have no experience with either Bose or JBL auto systems, so I can't comment or make a comparison with a "premium" OEM factory system, I like mine. Anyone who claims to have or know the "best" of anything needs a reality check. As you have said, to each his own.

"My original post was NOT a Bose Bash but a description of what occurred. That's all, no more no less."

I never read it as anything else, unfortunately others did.

Now, has anyone ever explained the unique advantages of a Bose Lifestyle system? ;-)

DMK
07-30-2004, 12:09 PM
"Folks you can buy what you like use what you like, but many people who are audio enthusiasts do not consider Bose products top shelf and many believe they're overpriced for the sound produced. As for what's better than Bose? I personally own 6 sets of speakers from various manufacturers that I prefer to Bose. My Allison 4's, Platinum Audio Studio 3's, Ohm Walsh 4's, F's and 2's. All of these speakers old discontinued models and they are STILL superior in sound, fidelity and design to current Bose products. These speakers are NOT sold on late night TV or given away as door prizes. Take a trip to any store that sells B&W or other top flight gear and see what your money can really buy."

:

Dr Bose just called me. It seems your post has caused quite a stir and Dr Bose would like your full name and an address at which to serve your summons. Have a nice day.

Bryan
07-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Can't stand the thought of being blinkered Philistines mired in their own pre-conceived notions?

We can as we are David and Bose is Goliath.

If I want more friends, I'll adopt another dog!

So you're saying the vast majority of your friends are dogs or animals incapable of disagreeing with you?

I am the audience, YOU(the collective) are the humor.

No. You are the one in the audience that gets picked on by the comedian.

I never engage in a battle of wits with the unarmed.

And you are here because? Sadly you are the one who is unarmed. Then again, it could be due to your not having any wits to begin with, of which the battle is over long before it began.

I can and do hear the difference in the presentation of both types of loudspeakers, unfortunately it's the Bose-bashing types who can't, and thusly reveal themselves to be the closed-minded cretins they accuse others of being.

If you can hear it, then others must be able to hear it. Unless, you are the only one with "magic ears" capable of hearing the difference between the two speakers.

Close minded is hardly how I would describe this place, especially when suggestions for nOrh, Ascend Acoustics, Klipsch, Axiom, B&W, Dynaudio, Def Tech, NHT, JBL, SVS, Paradigm, PSB, Energy, Wharfedale, Martin Logan, etc. have been mentioned. Yet Bose is the be all end all to some people and they are unwilling to listen to different ideas and suggestions.

The poster who gave the "cupped hand" analogy is quite correct in that characterization, in a side by side audition Bose will fail every time.

If it were so good then it would win the side by side comparison every time.

However, if one takes the time to listen "into" the soundfield produced by a properly set up pair of 901's instead of expecting to be bowled-over by them(or audibly assaulted) based strictly on experience with direct radiator units, the sound is, in fact, quite accurate. Sorry if you don't agree.

And if you take out the EQing of the 901s? Let us disect the 901, shall we? 9 full range drivers? The best 'full range' 3" driver I ever heard was in the nOrh 3.0. Even it only did 75Hz - 20KHz. Yet, a single 901 full range driver can not even do that well. You have to have the sound bounce off the walls to get to the listener in order for it to sound good? Whatever happened to simply toeing in a speaker to increase the sweet spot? Or what about making sure the tweeters are at ear level while the listener is seated? Then again, what if you power those 901s with a Yamaha receiver and use the YPAO feature found in the RX-V1400? Will the 901s still sound good? Not to mention the 901 is available to you for $1,398.

For comparison purposes, competing speakers are:
Onix Rocket RS550 MKII with risers - $1,124
Axiom M80ti - $1,100
nOrh SM 6.9 - $995
Odyssey Nightengale - $1,295
Magnepan MG12 - $1,199
ACI Sapphire - $1,300
ACI Protoge - $1,000
B&W 604 S4 - $1,400
Dynaudio Audience 72 - $1,400
Paradigm Reference Studio 40 v3 - $1,200
Klipsch RF-5 - $1,100

All of those have their different attributes yet setup on those is basically the same. Overall, all will sound good, if not much better than the 901s. As you can buy the 901s factory direct I included other factory direct manufacturers in there. Heck, I'd even have put my $150 (now $200) pair of nOrh 3.0s against the 901s. Granted they may lose (as they were roughly 1/10th the cost of the 901s) but the battle may be much closer than what you think.

RGA
07-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Actually Bose is generlaly overpriced but not neccessarily always doling out total disasters - Some may be surprised that in the blind panel listening session the Bose 305 circa 1996 received a recommended speaker rating in the $400.00British Pound range. Issue #78 "Fine Dynamic liveliness and a good room match counter strange imaging and treble."

The 901 is still obnoxious and ridiculously priced - if it was $199.00Cdn It might and I mean Might be worth it for fun and you can put up with the stupid soundstage.

Woochifer
07-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Please, don't do me any favors!

The poster who gave the "cupped hand" analogy is quite correct in that characterization, in a side by side audition Bose will fail every time. However, if one takes the time to listen "into" the soundfield produced by a properly set up pair of 901's instead of expecting to be bowled-over by them(or audibly assaulted) based strictly on experience with direct radiator units, the sound is, in fact, quite accurate. Sorry if you don't agree.

They may not be everyone's cuppa, but that's why there's vanilla and chocolate.

Yeah, and a "properly" setup set of 901s will still sound like "mono everywhere" with collapsed ill-defined imaging that sounds big, but gives you nothing in the way of differentiated audio depth perception or left-right panning accuracy. I guess it would sound accurate if I want everything to sound like I placed a pair of speakers on the stage of the Boston symphony hall.

But, given that most soundtracks are already mixed with the ambient and imaging cues in place, and designed for a more acoustically neutral playback, I hardly see that as a benefit. If you want the illusion of a big symphony hall with scads of reflected sound, then buy a receiver with DSP modes. It will still make your speakers sound like they were placed inside an echo chamber, but in the meantime you're not stuck with the liabilities of the 901 for those sources (which would be oh ... say ... 99.9% of the time) that do not benefit from huge wall of mud imaging.

Woochifer
07-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Actually Bose is generlaly overpriced but not neccessarily always doling out total disasters - Some may be surprised that in the blind panel listening session the Bose 305 circa 1996 received a recommended speaker rating in the $400.00British Pound range. Issue #78 "Fine Dynamic liveliness and a good room match counter strange imaging and treble."

The 901 is still obnoxious and ridiculously priced - if it was $199.00Cdn It might and I mean Might be worth it for fun and you can put up with the stupid soundstage.

Their 201 and 301 bookshelf models are probably the closest thing to decent speakers that Bose makes. I assume that you're referring to the Bose 301 bookshelf model (I don't think they ever made a model 305, at least for the U.S. market), and that speaker has decent bass extension and is one of the few bookshelf speakers around the $300 price point that uses 8" woofers.

But, their other faults make it very hard to recommend them over comparable alternatives (I should know, my wife had a pair of them and we used it for over a year as surround speakers). For one thing, the overall linearity of the frequency response, especially in the midrange, is poor (a simple sine sweep reveals very erratic SPL over the audible range). The one aspect of that speaker that might charm the ears of some so-called audiophiles is the rolled off high end. It's nonoffensive (though not especially revealing either), but the off-angle and heavy reflected sound from the tweeter make the overall sound highly variable from room to room, and drastically different even within the same room from location to location.

eisforelectronic
07-30-2004, 02:50 PM
in a side by side audition Bose will fail every time.

I wouldn't want any speaker, I could describe this way.

Geoffcin
07-30-2004, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Woochifer]Their 201 and 301 bookshelf models are probably the closest thing to decent speakers that Bose makes. I assume that you're referring to the Bose 301 bookshelf model (I don't think they ever made a model 305, at least for the U.S. market), and that speaker has decent bass extension and is one of the few bookshelf speakers around the $300 price point that uses 8" woofers.
QUOTE]

For a few miserable hours back in the mid 80's I owned a pair of 201's that I was intending to use for rear speakers in an HT setup. I was told by the salesman that "BOSE know's HT" The speakers were awful; poor high frequancy responce, terrible dispertion, tubby bass, ECH! I returned them the next day.

skeptic
07-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Now for some objective facts from someone who knows first hand what he's talking about because he owns a pair and other speakers as well.

Anyone read my recent thread about my tinkering with my original Bose 901s which I've owned for 35 years and which sat mothballed for most of that time? Well, Astonishing progress has been made.

OK Brian, lets take the original Bose 901 apart and see what's really in it, not just the hardware by the knowledge and theory behind it and what it can do, and what it can't do. What its real strengths and weaknesses are.

There are some truely amazing concepts in this design which was not only totally innovative but solved many problems for which nobody else had an acceptable solution for.

The 9 drivers used in the original Bose 901 and series II were 4 inch acoustic suspension units. They were deliberately mounted in a small enclosure to push the low frequency resonance UP to 180 hz, exactly the opposite of what other speaker designers try to achieve. Why? Because at and above this frequency, Dr. Bose determined that phase shift is far less audible. Around a speaker's resonant frequency there is significant phase shift and below that frequency there is a linear falloff which can be compensated for with active equalization flattening the bass response so remarkably that it outperformed virtually every other commercially available speaker on the market in bass response at the time of its introduction within it maximum loudness capabilities given enough available amplifier power. That's not an opinion, it's a statement of fact that was verified by every reviewer testing it and publishing their results including the highly respected sound engineer Bert White who wrote for Audio Magazine. Today 35 years later, it still cannot be bettered by speakers of its small size. And its bass will still outperform most other speakers not having a very good subwoofer built in or supplementing it. Sadly, this attribute was lost with series III onward which completely sacrificed the lowest octave for improved overall efficiency.

The use of 9 closely coupled drivers covering the same range eliminates the secondary resonances (the minor little wiggles in response of individual drivers which occur at random) and allows the equalizer to theoretically achieve relatively flat response within the limits of the drivers capability.

The use of one direct driver and 8 reflected drivers allows the front driver to establish the first arriving wavefront providing the cue to directionality and the stereophonic effect while the reflected wave front arrives from a much broader surface in many ways similar to the broad wavefront from panel type speakers. However, to achieve this result requires a suitable room and very careful placement.

The active equalization concept is executed with great precision to match the characteristics of the louspeaker and is far more effective and rational than passive crossover networks used at far higher power levels. The electrical load presented to the power amplifier is much less complex and simpler to drive. A better design will incorporate both.

Where then did Dr. Bose fail?

He failed in at least three ways. First and by far the most serious shortcoming of ALL Bose 901 loudspeakers is their inability to reproduce the highest octave of sound. This is an unforgivable shortcoming for a high fidelity loudspeaker. Why can't it do that? Regardless of what the specifications say, the inertia of a 4 inch cone is simply much too great to reproduce high frequencies acceptably no matter how much power you pump into it. Furthermore, even if it could, the large diameter of the cone compared to the wavelengths would beam the front firing high frequencies in a very narrow angle which is also unacceptable for a high fidelity loudspeaker. In my own experiments, I have added four 3/4 poly tweeters per channel mounted directly on the Bose enclosure, one firing forward and three rearward, two of which are angled left and right and the third firing straight back. The front firing speaker is attenuated 3 db compared to each of the rear tweeters creating a 1 to 6 ratio compared to a 1 to 8 ratio and all are crossed over at about 8 or 9 khz and the system is biamplified allowing independent level adjustment and equalization. This allows the combined system to reproduce a very extended frequency response.

The second problem is that the original had a well documented frequency response peak in the 200 to 500 hz region. I have equalized this out and added even more deep bass. Unfortunately the amplifier I'm using doesn' t have enough power to test the liimits of the speaker. I'm using Marantz SR 930 a fairly high powered receiver but I can easily peg its led meters. I'm not quite sure how much power it can deliver but the power input is fused at 8 amps. I don't know if a single pair will ever challenge my Teledyne AR9s which have 2 12" acoustic suspension woofers in 4 cu ft enclosures, but I will try both more power and multiple enhanced 901s to see how far they can go.

The relationship between the direct and reflected sound fields produced by this speaker have nothing in common between the corresponding sound fields produced by symphony orchestras in concert halls. However, the speaker's radiating pattern is very much more similar to the radiating patterns of actual musical instruments than forward firing speakers bringing the sound of small groups right into the room. When improved in the way I have described, they produce a presence of sound I have not heard with any other loudspeaker. I belive that much better direct/reflecting speakers are possible and I intend to experiment designing and building them for myself over the next few years.

topspeed
07-30-2004, 10:03 PM
That funny, I thought this thread was about Worfster shopping for a new toy and at the very most, opinion on Bose car audio. When did this become a dissection of the 901?

Audie, if you like the 901 direct/reflecting gig, hey by all means enjoy! In their car applications however, the speakers are placed in the exact same array as 99% of the other OEM systems and rarely use direct/reflecting unless they are bouncing the tweeter off the windshield or have speakers sitting on the rear deck (which is rare). I've had Bose sound systems in a couple of my cars and had very mixed results. In the Infiniti, it was actually pretty good, although the treble was still too rolled-off for my taste. The one in the Pathfinder is soo bad I actually e-mailed Bose (no reply) and took it into the dealership because I was sure something was wrong. Alas, it just sounds sh!tty; think 20 wool blankets over the speakers. It is, without question, the worst stereo I've ever encountered outside the stock am/fm radio I had in my Bronco in high school. Of all the OEM systems in my vehicles, the best sounding was the Infinity Gold system in my Grand Cherokee. Most of my passengers actually thought I had an aftermarket system installed and while I won't go so far to say it sounded that good, it was far better than any Bose car system I've heard.

Therefore, if we stay on topic, the folks that thought Bose car audio systems were the best had simply not heard a Volvo/Dynaudio, Acura/ELS, Lexus/Mark Levinson, or even Jeep/Infinity system. If they had, I have a very hard time believing they would still find Bose to be the best car audio systems, especially compared to the Acura's true multi-channel dvd-a system.

Worf101
07-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Dr Bose just called me. It seems your post has caused quite a stir and Dr Bose would like your full name and an address at which to serve your summons. Have a nice day.

LOL, it's 3:00 AM I just got in from a gig and I'm laughing my BBA off. Touche... Well and truly done son!

Da Worfster :D

Worf101
07-30-2004, 11:03 PM
That funny, I thought this thread was about Worfster shopping for a new toy and at the very most, opinion on Bose car audio. When did this become a dissection of the 901?

Audie, if you like the 901 direct/reflecting gig, hey by all means enjoy! In their car applications however, the speakers are placed in the exact same array as 99% of the other OEM systems and rarely use direct/reflecting unless they are bouncing the tweeter off the windshield or have speakers sitting on the rear deck (which is rare). I've had Bose sound systems in a couple of my cars and had very mixed results. In the Infiniti, it was actually pretty good, although the treble was still too rolled-off for my taste. The one in the Pathfinder is soo bad I actually e-mailed Bose (no reply) and took it into the dealership because I was sure something was wrong. Alas, it just sounds sh!tty; think 20 wool blankets over the speakers. It is, without question, the worst stereo I've ever encountered outside the stock am/fm radio I had in my Bronco in high school. Of all the OEM systems in my vehicles, the best sounding was the Infinity Gold system in my Grand Cherokee. Most of my passengers actually thought I had an aftermarket system installed and while I won't go so far to say it sounded that good, it was far better than any Bose car system I've heard.

Therefore, if we stay on topic, the folks that thought Bose car audio systems were the best had simply not heard a Volvo/Dynaudio, Acura/ELS, Lexus/Mark Levinson, or even Jeep/Infinity system. If they had, I have a very hard time believing they would still find Bose to be the best car audio systems, especially compared to the Acura's true multi-channel dvd-a system.

I was only referring to Bose's CURRENT LINE of products as "not my cup of tea". I lusted mightly for a set of 901's when I rotated back to the world and was inches from being a sillyvilian again, but I couldn't afford them then. The closest I've ever come to a set of vintage 901's was a couple of failed bids on Ebay. My better half has enrolled me in S.A. (Speakers Anonymous) for the duration so, unless I sell or use some spakers, I'm stuck.

Da Worfster :o

skeptic
07-31-2004, 03:20 AM
If you bid on vintage 901s be careful. The original version and series II were acoustic suspension systems which MUST be air tight. Their dirvers had suspension which did not deteriorate. After 35 years, I inspected mine carefully before I started my project and found one to have an air leak not due to driver failure but because the plumbers putty they used between the drivers and the wood enclosure (yes they used real wood) had dried out. I used GE silicone caulking around the metal driver frames being very careful not to get any on the drivres or suspensions. This restored the air tightness necessary for them to produce the bass response they were designed for. The way I tested them was to remove the back grill cloth exposing 8 of the 9 drivers. I gently pushed in slighly on 3 of them and when all of the others moved out, I knew they were air tight again.

I had checked with Bose's service department first and they agreed with this method. They also said that if they needed repair, it would be impossible because of their age and lack of availability of parts. In the manufacture of original Bose 901 and series II the drivers supplied by CTS to Bose were segregated into three groups and the drivers used in each unit were all from the same group. In the original they were segregated manually, in series II they were segregated by a computer. So if you have one with a defective driver, you cannot arbitrarily canabalize another unit for a replacement and be sure you are getting an exact match.

BTW, Bose offered me a trade in at my option for a brand new pair of series VI for my pair and $772. How's that for an offer after 35 years of use? (I'm sure they wouldn't have lost any money on it.) But I declined not wanting to trade downward.