ska's the limit... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ska's the limit...

nobody
07-29-2004, 06:44 AM
Was listening to a local radio show called Ska's the Limit the other night and started thinking how much great ska music I've let slide. I've got some basics, old stuff like Desmond Dekkar and stuff like the Specials and English Beat...was listening to some Bad Manners a couple days ago.

But, I know this is a genre where there is likely tons of stuff I'd like to get a hold of, but that I have only a little knowledge of. I've heard tons of ska at parties and such, but have very little of my own and would love some suggestions of some good stuff.

I tend not to much like the really fast paced, poppy stuff, but am open to any and all suggestions.

By the way, that radio show is on KDHX out of St. Louis. They have a website at www.kdhx.org, and you can listen live. They have several really grewat shows. Check out Fishing with Dynamite and Greaser's Lunchbox.

Davey
07-29-2004, 07:10 AM
Last time I made a ska post I think Stone was my only pity response but there's sure a lot of great music out there. Many of the bands do tend to sound a bit interchangeable, though. And one could argue that after you have most of those 2 Tone classics from the golden era by bands like The Specials and Madness and The [English] Beat and some of the others, maybe that's all you really need. But one of my favorite albums, and I'm not just talking about ska albums, from the last few years is The Question by The Slackers. And to show how much I like it, a few days ago I pulled about 50 CDs from my collection to hold me over for the next few months and put the rest in storage and guess what was one of them? Not the Slackers, that's for sure! Hehehe, just kidding, The Question was one of the first I grabbed. Always a fun listen.....more about Davey and The Slackers at http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3567 plus Stoney had some good recs too.

nobody
07-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Weird...like you said on the nother thread, I'd think there would be more ska fans around.

Oh well, some good looking recommendations on that thread. Looks like the Slackers are gonna have to enter my collection.

Davey
07-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Weird...like you said on the nother thread, I'd think there would be more ska fans around.
Well, just cause they don't respond to one of <i>my</i> silly posts doesn't mean there's not a few around, even if I did jokingly presume so in that other woefully underappreciated ska by way of Slackers thread of mine. I learned that a long, long time ago :)

You'd probably really like the Slackers. Definitely a traditional sound but fresh at the same time and a great bunch of musicians, solid songwriting, nice production and good singers. They've got it all. BTW, I mailed that comp about a week ago so you probably should've seen it by now. If not, then it's probably stuck in the greasy underbelly of a million dollar bendfoldmutilate machine someplace in Nowheresville, USA.

nobody
07-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Got it this week. I've only been able to get a listen to part of it so far, but I really liked the opening track...the name of which escapes me now. A couple others stoof out too, but I need to look at the thing to tell you which ones. A nice collection that I need to sit down with and hear all the way through.

-Jar-
07-29-2004, 09:22 AM
And to show how much I like it, a few days ago I pulled about 50 CDs from my collection to hold me over for the next few months and put the rest in storage and guess what was one of them?

you're a brave man.

Oh yea.. and the Specials rule ok.

:D

-jar

Stone
07-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Ska is good.

I even like a lot of the third wave ska/punk stuff, but much of it is samey.

The original first wave stuff is where my collection is sorely lacking too. I have some Desmond Dekker, but have never delved into stuff like the Ethiopians or the early Skatalites stuff.

That first Madness record is a good one if you don't have it, nobody, and I do recommend the Hepcat album I mentioned in the other thread.

2 channel
08-03-2004, 06:35 AM
SKA you say...
I gre up in Orange County, CA in teh 80's...Ska capital of the US!

Check out Skankin Pickle

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002JXEK/002-3786115-0199230?v=glance

They are quite fun!

Also, I agree with the above posts, the "classics" are really all you need. There is however a pretty good ska band called the Supertones. They are actually a Christian Ska Band...Can you believe it? Christian Ska.
They can be found here
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001AUC/qid=1091543716/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-3786115-0199230?v=glance&s=music

Anyway, check them out, lots of horns and a real 80's sound.

Enjoy

unleasHell
08-03-2004, 09:33 AM
SKA you say...
I gre up in Orange County, CA in teh 80's...Ska capital of the US!

Check out Skankin Pickle

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002JXEK/002-3786115-0199230?v=glance

They are quite fun!

Also, I agree with the above posts, the "classics" are really all you need. There is however a pretty good ska band called the Supertones. They are actually a Christian Ska Band...Can you believe it? Christian Ska.
They can be found here
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001AUC/qid=1091543716/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-3786115-0199230?v=glance&s=music

Anyway, check them out, lots of horns and a real 80's sound.

Enjoy

hey 2channel, me too (OC 80's, actually I am still there...) I used to go to ON KLUB in SilverLake and see the Untouchables play!!!, those were mighty fun days...

There are a lot of cool old Ska CD's don't know of the newer bands (Slackers & Question) but would be up for a CD-r trade (anyone?)

Probably my fav. is the first MADNESS, it is as in the Bass Ale ads...BRILLIANT!!!

2 channel
08-03-2004, 09:57 AM
What High school did you go to? I went to Loara, 84 Grad.

unleasHell
08-03-2004, 10:03 AM
What High school did you go to? I went to Loara, 84 Grad.

Pacifica, 76'