for those of you that own the rxv 2400 or 1400 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : for those of you that own the rxv 2400 or 1400

marky
07-28-2004, 09:03 PM
what speakers do u use on them and how happy are u with it? im planning to get polk audio rti series for it but some said that the speakers are too bright for the yammies since (so they claim) the yammie itself is a bright receiver. what are ur thoughts?

ryjam282
07-29-2004, 03:44 AM
I have the 1400 and I am using it for a set of Infinity speakers. But, in the end, you need to listen to a set of speakers and go with what sound you like best.

kexodusc
07-29-2004, 04:50 AM
I have the 1400 and I am using it for a set of Infinity speakers. But, in the end, you need to listen to a set of speakers and go with what sound you like best.

I have Paradigm Studio 40's and 20's connected to my 1400. Reasonably "neutral" sounding speakers (neither overly bright or warm) Every now and then we listen to some CD's or whatever in the living room (my main stereo is downstairs in my studio).

I had an RX-V795a prior, and I would say that it tended to sound a tad bit brighter, maybe even harsh at times, but this only became obvious to me during loud playback of heavy rock music. But I actually often prefer this revealing sound to say, my Rotel Integrated, which is a bit more "warm" sounding. These are very small differences though.

The 1400 doesn't sound the same as my RX-V795a did. It's pretty neutral I would argue.

If the Polk's you are interested would sound "bright" on a Yamaha, they'll probably sound "bright" on anything else. The receiver shouldn't make or break your speaker decision. Generally, most agree you buy speakers first, and match the amp to them.

I have my suspicions if the slight "harshness" I was hearing was really the amp in the receiver maxing itself out, in other words, a bit of distortion or compression...It was very subtle, and only happend at loud volumes, often during peaks. The 1400 has a bit more headroom. I wonder how often an amps technical limitations get confused with it's sound characteristics?

markw
07-29-2004, 06:02 AM
If the Polk's you are interested would sound "bright" on a Yamaha, they'll probably sound "bright" on anything else. The receiver shouldn't make or break your speaker decision. Generally, most agree you buy speakers first, and match the amp to them.

I have my suspicions if the slight "harshness" I was hearing was really the amp in the receiver maxing itself out, in other words, a bit of distortion or compression...It was very subtle, and only happend at loud volumes, often during peaks. The 1400 has a bit more headroom. I wonder how often an amps technical limitations get confused with it's sound characteristics?...particularly the last sentence.

JSE
07-29-2004, 06:14 AM
I have the 1400 and run Boston Acoustic VR965 towers as mains. I feel it's a great match and I love the sound.

The Yamaha is a detailed and nuetral receiver compared to others I have used and heard. I like this. The Bostons, to me at least, are a more laid back warmer sounding speaker. I think the Yamaha and the Bostons blend very well together. Of course some people might feel the exact opposite and they would not be wrong of right.

Try the Polks out. Just make sure you can return them if you don't like the match. Actually, this would be true for any speaker you try. I actually had some older Polk speakers but sold them before I got my Yamaha. Oh well.

JSE

marky
07-29-2004, 06:52 PM
i hooked up a surround subwoofer using speaker wires to the left and right terminals. is there anyway i can connect a second subwoofer?