Hell Boy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hell Boy

cam
07-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Simply question, I do not want to add another dvd to my collection that I wished I didn't. Is Hell Boy worth $25.99, is it a watcher or complete garbage? Thanks for any info.

mtrycraft
07-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Simply question, I do not want to add another dvd to my collection that I wished I didn't. Is Hell Boy worth $25.99, is it a watcher or complete garbage? Thanks for any info.

Haven't seen it yet. You can rent it and find out. But, no reason to pay that much. In a while the rental store will sell it for about $12 or on Amazon used market in a few weeks:)

Dusty Chalk
07-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Secondly -- need to know more. What are you expecting? Did you like Spiderman? U571? etc. I thought it was above average for a "popcorn" flick.

Worf101
07-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Some slight twists on the Superhero film genre but mostly to "form". Dark, twisty with almost minimal character development. Ron Perlman was MADE to play this role. Definitely a renter for me. Not a buyer, but then again I bought "The League" and have loved watching that one again and again.

Da Worfster

cam
07-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Some slight twists on the Superhero film genre but mostly to "form". Dark, twisty with almost minimal character development. Ron Perlman was MADE to play this role. Definitely a renter for me. Not a buyer, but then again I bought "The League" and have loved watching that one again and again.

Da Worfster
When I saw the trailors, first thought was wow, I gotta get it. But sometimes all the good parts in the trailors were exactly that, all the good parts. I guess I will play it safe and just spend the $5 and rent it and then decide if a still want it.

hmmmm
07-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Generally, I live for these kind of movies but I must say that I hated HellBoy. It had a couple of good points but otherwise I thought it was horrible. I was so excited when I saw the trailers for this movie but when I saw it with my friends, all 5 of us thought it was a waste of time. I thought the demon dog monster (or whatever that was) looked like a joke! Wait until it becomes a Sunday afternoon feature on t.v. -that is if football is not on.

cam
08-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Rented Hellboy tonight, and I must say, Daaamn. And I don't mean Daaamn in a good way. I'm just glad I cut my losses with a $5 rental instead of a $26 purchase. I absolutely love sci fi, Starwars 1 & 2, Matrix, Spiderman, Lord Of The Rings, etc. Hellboy to me was a one watcher and that is it. Very good effects but all in all, the story was pointless. But that is what sci fi is all about, some people can be enthralled with a certain sci fi and can be bored with another. Worth a $5 rental but no more.

kexodusc
08-02-2004, 03:53 AM
Geez, I rented Hellboy yesterday and didn't find it that bad at all. I must have been living under a rock, because I don't recall ever hearing about this film. I certainly wouldn't put it up there with LOTR, Star Wars, The Matrix, etc...but it wasn't bad. A very entertaining rental if nothing else.
I got the feeling that a bit of story development was sacrificed for some of the cool fight scenes, but after a hard saturday night, I'm not usually in the mood for anything deep.
Besides, you've got to admit that giant space-octupus gods that devour the world are pretty cool!!

Dusty Chalk
08-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Besides, you've got to admit that giant space-octupus gods that devour the world are pretty cool!!They kind of reminded me of the gods/aliens/whatevers from Howard the Duck...or is it just me?

Except, better done, of course.

I enjoyed it. Good popcorn movie, better than average. I liked it better than Spidey-2, anyway. And Van Helsing. And about as much as Underworld and Shrek 2 and Blade and a little bit more than Blade II.

The guy who stole the show for me was that gas-mask-and-blades guy, I forget his name. I'm looking at the cast credits, and I'm not seeing it. Sammael was the hellhound, wasn't it? Grigori was Rasputin, wasn't he? I'm not seeing it...someone help me out...

Oh, and Ron Perlman was perfect. He's what raised the movie up a notch, IMHO. Definitely not the script.

Troy
08-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Watched it last night. I liked it fine. All I kept thinking was how much the basic premise was like X-Men. I like HB more than X-men though. I even liked it more than LOTR. It didn't take itself too seriously, the true downfall of the LOTR series and so many other recent fantasy genre flicks. The HB cast and crew knows that the entire idea is preposterous and has fun with it.

Perlman was born to play this guy, wasn't he?

Ladislav Beran played the wind up robot Nazi with no lips.

Dusty Chalk
08-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Ladislav Beran played the wind up robot Nazi with no lips.Thanks. He was a great villain. If he was to forego his evil ways, he could probably work at Beni-hana.

sc03979
08-07-2004, 07:35 PM
This movie was one of the first that I've rented since I got my complete cheap ass 5.1 system. I thought the effects and attitude of Hellboy were pretty good. The worst part to me was at times the hellhound looked like some dude in a costume.

It's almost good enough to buy and a definite must rent for the special efffects.