Death Cab For Cutie tune makes it on Six Feet Under. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Death Cab For Cutie tune makes it on Six Feet Under.

Swish
07-28-2004, 12:55 PM
Yes, besides the Sopranos, I also get a kick out of this show about the dysfunctional Fisher family that runs a funeral home in LA. They usually play some decent tunes during the show and if I hear something I like but that I'm not familiar with, I check the Six Feet Under website to find the name of the artist.When they played the title song from Transatlanticism, last year's most excellent release from DCFC, I knew who it was right away.

What's my point? I guess I don't really have one except to say that it's nice to hear music that's not mainstream on a TV show instead of the usual MOR fodder. On an earlier episode this season they played a Radiohead tune, "Lucky", during the very last scene when they were all throwing old possessions onto a bonfire. It was the perfect song for the scene and made it much more powerful to me. Come to think of it, the Sopranos plays some pretty cool tunes as well

Swish

DariusNYC
07-28-2004, 01:55 PM
I agree that they often have some way cool music on that show, as they do on the Sopranos. (I remember them ending one of the Sopranos episodes in the first season with Nick Cave's "The Beast in Me", which was perfect for Tony.)

I also note that the first two episodes of the new HBO series "Entourage" have included a killer selection of current and older hip hop tunes that are perfect for the dynamic of the show (wouldn't have worked on 6 Feet Under). Cool show too.

Slosh
07-28-2004, 02:13 PM
While they were still in Clair's room being high, they also played a Fruitbats song. Pretty cool. I don't care much for soaps, er, um, family dramas, but if they continue to use good music maybe there's hope for this world ;)

Audio Girl
07-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Swisheroo,

I couldn't believe it when I saw your post tonight. "Six Feet Under" has always been the show ~ besides "Sex and the City" ~ that my husband and I have had a weekly "date" to watch together. Since our son deployed, hubby has abandoned SFU so I watch it by myself and feel kinda sad cause I miss my watching partner.

I really have enjoyed that show since Episode 1. However, I'll have to say that I don't think this season is as good as previous ones...so far...although this past episode hinted that it was going to return to its once stellar quality. Back to your post. That song and scene touched me more than I can explain without sounding corny. When Claire (what a great actor!), and her friends all sang the song together, it was one of those rare moments in viewing that we get to be a participant in.

Quite frankly, I have been out of touch with music because of my son's situation. It just hasn't provided the joy it once did ~ in fact, my 2-channel system has been unplugged and not touched in probably 3 to 5 months. But, that song reawakened the pure joy of music for me. It's given hope for a return to a hobby which has provided so much satisfaction in the past.

Anyway, I had planned on getting online Monday and researching the name of the song and artist because I didn't recognize the tune yet the artist sounded familiar. Things have been crazy work-wise so I didn't have the opportunity. Not to worry, Swishie took care of it for me by posting here.

So how is the rest of the Death Cab for Cutie release that this song is on?

Ag

Swish
07-29-2004, 03:31 AM
Swisheroo,

I couldn't believe it when I saw your post tonight. "Six Feet Under" has always been the show ~ besides "Sex and the City" ~ that my husband and I have had a weekly "date" to watch together. Since our son deployed, hubby has abandoned SFU so I watch it by myself and feel kinda sad cause I miss my watching partner.

I really have enjoyed that show since Episode 1. However, I'll have to say that I don't think this season is as good as previous ones...so far...although this past episode hinted that it was going to return to its once stellar quality. Back to your post. That song and scene touched me more than I can explain without sounding corny. When Claire (what a great actor!), and her friends all sang the song together, it was one of those rare moments in viewing that we get to be a participant in.

Quite frankly, I have been out of touch with music because of my son's situation. It just hasn't provided the joy it once did ~ in fact, my 2-channel system has been unplugged and not touched in probably 3 to 5 months. But, that song reawakened the pure joy of music for me. It's given hope for a return to a hobby which has provided so much satisfaction in the past.

Anyway, I had planned on getting online Monday and researching the name of the song and artist because I didn't recognize the tune yet the artist sounded familiar. Things have been crazy work-wise so I didn't have the opportunity. Not to worry, Swishie took care of it for me by posting here.

So how is the rest of the Death Cab for Cutie release that this song is on?

Ag

In fact, it's very, very good. After hearing the tune on SFU I pulled it out of my cd stacks and spun it a couple times. I have so much new music that I've negleted the good stuff from last year, so this one really needed to be heard. I'm going to use Transatlanticism on a new comp I'm making for our coffee shop. This will be the third one and it will be titiled Fresh Brew III. I think you'd really like FB II and I was going to send a copy of it to you as I mentioned in my post above. It's chock full of mellow tunes, as will FB III. If you want me to wait until this latest comp is ready I'll sent both of them to you.

As for your son, I can't imagine what you're going through right now. I think I've mentioned that my son joined the Army Reserves a few months before 9/11. It took us by surprise but we supported his decision. Anyway, he was just in his summer training in the California desert and another unit that was there with him just got deployed to Iraq. Our son's unit could end up going, but they would likely be in a neighboring country since their specialty communications and such. It would still worry the hell out of us to know he was in such a volitile atmosphere.

Best Regards,
Swishypoo

Mike
07-29-2004, 04:02 AM
I'm not sure if the show is still on in the UK but I remember seeing a trailer a while ago thinking it might be good but never got around to following it up, I'll have to check it out.

Just checked the SFU website to have a look at the soundtracks to episodes and it looks like they have taken a sneak peak at my collection, loads of stuff right up my street mixing moody indie pop with electronica.

And I've got to agree about that Death Cab album an overlooked gem from last year IMO. The official SFU soundtrack CD looks pretty good too.

1. Thomas Newman - Six Feet Under Theme
2. Lamb - Heaven
3. Stereo MCs - Deep Down and Dirty
4. Peggy Lee - I Love Being Here With You
5. PJ Harvey - One Time Too Many
6. The Beta Band - Squares
7. Zero 7 - Distractions
8. Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information
9. The Dining Rooms - Pure and Easy
10. Craig Armstrong - Lets Go Out Tonight (feat Paul Buchanan)
11. Classics IV - Spooky
12. The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You
13. Orlando Cachaito Lopez - Mis Dos Pequenas
14. The Devlins - Waiting
15. Thomas Newman - Six Feet Under Theme (Rae and Christian Remix)
16. Thomas Newman - Six Feet Under Theme (Photek Remix)

Cheers
Mike