AudioReview.com DIY Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AudioReview.com DIY Speakers

Jim V
11-13-2003, 08:36 AM
As an appropriate first post in the new forum format, I thought I'd let everyone know that I'm still enjoying my AudioReview.com DIY speakers. They are the only component I haven't changed (some components have changed more than once). I still consider them the best value that I've found in audio equipment. I modified the crossover per Ed Frias' instructions and, although the change wasn't significant, I think I prefer the modified crossover. It's hard to test them against the original because I only have one pair. In any event, good luck with the new format.

Jim

C Bennett
11-15-2003, 09:34 AM
I like the kit and the reviews but what do you do for a cabinet for them? I know this is probably a easily answered question but I don't really know where to look for one. Also how easy/hard is the kit to put together for a newb? good instructions? and how does it sound? anything you could compare it to speaker wise for sound?

Jim V
11-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Go to www.speakercity.com for the cabinets. I just noticed that they are selling them assembled for $15 extra per speaker. If this is the same parts list, that's a bargain. It's not too tough to build these speakers. They were my first attempt at DIY. I have some soldering experience so that helped a little. As for comparisons, read the extensive reviews on this site. I think the reviews are under D for DIY. When I built mine, I order all the parts (drivers, crossover parts, screws, connectors, binding posts, etc.) from Madisound and the cabinets from Speaker City. That's been over 2 years ago so others may now have the parts. Search the archive for other related posts. Good luck!

Jim Clark
11-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi Jim, Jim here,
What's up with this Danny Richie of GR modification? Is that going to be the same modified crossover that you refer to in the original post? I still plan to get a pair of these (he says yet again) but it seems like things keep changing on this design. I wonder how much of the original plan is even valid at this point. Maybe I was wise to let this speaker go through the design changes before I jumped in.

If this is a sore subject or would rub anyone the wrong way just let me know and I'll delete it.

Regards,
jc

Jim V
11-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey Jim,

Good to hear from you. I haven't been hanging around here much lately. Other interests (read obsessions) took over.

I haven't heard the GR modification. I'm referring to Ed's revised crossover. His original design had an intentional dip somewhere around 3 kHz (if I recall correctly) that Ed intended to have an impact on the soundstage. Some much more sophisticated (than me) DIY types tested the original design and noted the dip, citing it as a potential flaw. In response to that, Ed issued a modification that would allow the speakers to measure flat. Some people think measurements rule over actual sound I guess. In any event, after I read a few positive comments about the mods, I tried them. Frankly, it's impossible for me to tell you they sound better, or even different because I have one pair of speakers and couldn't do an A-B. In any event, they sound just as good to my ears. I was just bored and wanted to tinker, so I made the mod. Either version is fantastic and an amazing value. I don't see any reason to wait any more. There aren't likely to be any significant changes.

As for ruffling feathers, I don't think that's an issue here. It was over at Danny's board, where I don't think he'll even allow you to post Ed Frias' name (that might not be completely correct, but I don't surf his site). Get some parts and starting soldering!

Jim Clark
11-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Thanks for your thorough reply. I guess I am ready to move things along and am actually doing so as we speak. Wish me luck.

(The next day) Bummer. I saw on the old forum that BobL had a kit offered up for sale but I was too late in finding out about it. Looks like he's sold everything already. Ya snooze-ya lose.

jc