Best multiple CD/DVD player under $200? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best multiple CD/DVD player under $200?

jillydvd
07-27-2004, 05:46 PM
I am looking for recommendations for a good CD/DVD player to buy. Here are my "must haves":
-Must be able to handle many formats (DVD+RW/+R, DVD-RW/-R, CD-R/RW, jpeg, mp3...).
-Must have an optic out and S-video.
-Must be able to hold multiple discs.
-Must be able, when playing music CD's, to do a random shuffle between all songs on all discs (and that function must to be easy to use...preferably one-touch of a button on the player or the remote.
-Obviously, must have good audio and video quality.
-Would prefer to spend less than $200

If it makes a difference, we have an Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver and JBL SCS160SI speakers. Also, if anyone has any CD/DVD players that you recommend I stay away from, that would be helpful advice, too.

Thank you!

ronning
07-28-2004, 11:39 AM
I am looking for recommendations for a good CD/DVD player to buy. Here are my "must haves":
-Must be able to handle many formats (DVD+RW/+R, DVD-RW/-R, CD-R/RW, jpeg, mp3...).
-Must have an optic out and S-video.
-Must be able to hold multiple discs.
-Must be able, when playing music CD's, to do a random shuffle between all songs on all discs (and that function must to be easy to use...preferably one-touch of a button on the player or the remote.
-Obviously, must have good audio and video quality.
-Would prefer to spend less than $200

If it makes a difference, we have an Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver and JBL SCS160SI speakers. Also, if anyone has any CD/DVD players that you recommend I stay away from, that would be helpful advice, too.

Thank you!

There's the Toshiba SD-6915 5-disc dvd-a/dvd/sacd/mp3/jpeg/wma universal player for only $180. Seems like a great idea, but a very poorly executed one in my opinion (i bought this player about 3 weeks ago and just last weekend returned it because I didn't like it).

There's the Yamaha DVD-C940 5-disc dvd/sacd player for around $350. An excellent player with good SACD and video playback. I have heard a few reports of bugs with this, though.

Philips DVD795SA 5-disc dvd/scd player for $150. I just bought this one online. it's discontinued but is *identical* electronically to the Yamaha (philips built the yamaha player for them) except it has lower quality progressive scan processing.

There's a slew more which i know less about - checkout www.crutchfield.com in the dvd section for more options.

I guess it's a start. Hope it helps.

ronning

hershon
07-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I claim total ignorance on this but is there actual an actual difference in the video or audience performance between a single and multiplayer DVD player lets say put out by say Sony and they both a quality players?

There's the Toshiba SD-6915 5-disc dvd-a/dvd/sacd/mp3/jpeg/wma universal player for only $180. Seems like a great idea, but a very poorly executed one in my opinion (i bought this player about 3 weeks ago and just last weekend returned it because I didn't like it).

There's the Yamaha DVD-C940 5-disc dvd/sacd player for around $350. An excellent player with good SACD and video playback. I have heard a few reports of bugs with this, though.

Philips DVD795SA 5-disc dvd/scd player for $150. I just bought this one online. it's discontinued but is *identical* electronically to the Yamaha (philips built the yamaha player for them) except it has lower quality progressive scan processing.

There's a slew more which i know less about - checkout www.crutchfield.com in the dvd section for more options.

I guess it's a start. Hope it helps.

ronning