TV Hookup and RX-V1400 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV Hookup and RX-V1400

Ace H
07-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Trying to get OSD on my TV other than via a VCR or DVD player. I have a 36" JVC D Series TV with one ANTENNA input (my cable box is hooked up here). My cable box is the old Scientific Atlanta type with only coaxial input and output.

Other than the one ANTENNA input, my TV has 2 other rear inputs; conventional composite video and S-Video for each rear input.

Do I need a VIDEO OUT (which I don't have) on my TV in order to connect the TV to the RX-V1400? Or is there way to connect from the Scientific Atlanta coaxial output on my cable box into the reveiver then from the receiver to the TV?

brian_tr
07-28-2004, 04:20 AM
You need either a composite video or S-Video input on your TV. Sounds like a good reason to upgrade. I have the same problem with my bedroom set. It is 20 yrs old and still has a good picture. The thing just wont die.

Ace H
07-28-2004, 05:53 AM
My TV is only 4 years old. It has S-Video INPUTS. I need a way to get VIDEO OUTPUT from either my TV or cable box to send to the receiver so I can get the OSD from the receiver.

Mania
07-28-2004, 06:21 AM
Ace, I think the problem Brian had with your question is that it isn't clear why you want a out from your TV. For OSD, you want to connect your RECEIVER's out to your TV's in.

Simply connect your reciever's monitor out to one of the two available inputs on your TV.

Good luck

mustang
07-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Your stuck. My first suggestion is to upgrade to digital cable. That will solve your problem right there. The digital cable box should provide a digital audio output and your standard A/V hookups as well as an S-Video output. Then you would just connect the box to the receiver like any other component and the 1400 does video up-conversion so you would only have to make one S-Video connection to the TV. If for some reason digital cable is not an option you will need to run your cable box through the VCR and use that as your CH 3 tuner. That should answer your question.