The inevitable has come! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The inevitable has come!

DMK
07-27-2004, 03:25 PM
After over 30 years of record collecting, and with new LP's invading my home at an alarming rate, I've actually gotta stop buying vinyl! Sheesh, this is gonna be hard! But my collection is getting too big and its taking up too much room. I may even have to sell some. Doubtful but it could happen. But I'm going to try to keep my new purchases to less than 50 between now and the end of the year. Then I'll assess the situation. I could rent storage space but, knowing me, I'd just put my furniture in there to make room for my vinyl collection! :D

Another inevitable appears to be coming. Is anyone else following the SACD vs CD thread on the general board? That's gotta be the longest thread in A/R history! Hopefully, high rez digital will take hold. It would certainly be nice to hear the music that redbook doesn't pass through. The big question is which old favorites that I don't already own on THE high rez format (LP) should I rebuy on SACD? I'd keep that to an absolute minimum.

What do vinyl enthusiasts think about SACD or DVD-A?

hifitommy
07-30-2004, 05:37 AM
i was castigated in that thread for stating that LP is hi rez!

as for storage, we are going to convert one of our bedrooms into a record library, cabinets and all.so far, ikea billy cabinets seem to be the way we are going. two rows of vinyl at bottom, a row of cd/multimedia, two more rows of vinyl and another row of cd/multimedia.

the records stick out about 1.5" but that doesnt bother me. perhaps i will bet the 4-5k records alpabetized. and the cds will NEVER reside in slotted cabinets again. too difficult to manage expansion.

DMK
07-30-2004, 06:17 AM
i was castigated in that thread for stating that LP is hi rez!

as for storage, we are going to convert one of our bedrooms into a record library, cabinets and all.so far, ikea billy cabinets seem to be the way we are going. two rows of vinyl at bottom, a row of cd/multimedia, two more rows of vinyl and another row of cd/multimedia.

the records stick out about 1.5" but that doesnt bother me. perhaps i will bet the 4-5k records alpabetized. and the cds will NEVER reside in slotted cabinets again. too difficult to manage expansion.

Well, the LP is only high rez if you listen to it and compare it to CD! If someone simply reads measurement charts, it isn't. Luckily, this is AUDIO! To paraphrase Martin Mull, reading about audio is like dancing about architecture! :) I refuse to reduce music and sound to words and graphs on a page. If it sounds right to me, it's right.

A couple of times I listened to CD's at a friends home on a system with pretty decent speakers and cheap crappy electronics. The measurements of this system were enviable. The sound was terrible. Most of the folks who view the LP as anything but high rez would have loved this system but I found it unlistenable. I don't chase the elusive accuracy because if this system is truly accurate, it's not worth chasing.

I've still got three little kids at home. Little bastards need space! :D I've got LP's in closets, in the spare bedroom, and lining my family room, all on shelves. For the CD's, I had to buy vinyl sleeves (audio voodoo - I'd hoped that by having CD's encased in vinyl, some of the music might rub off! No such luck!) and put the discs in large plastic tupperware-y containers. I have 12 drawers (two 6 drawer cabinets), with CD's sitting two wide. The sleeves take up about 1/3 the space of the plastic jewel cases.

I'm rapidly running out of space! If I decide to sell any vinyl, you'll be my first contact.