YPAO for rxv 2400 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : YPAO for rxv 2400

marky
07-26-2004, 06:45 PM
i got this from audioholics.com by By: Gene DellaSala,
' The YPAO system uses pink noise sweeps to map the response of the room at the listening position for each speaker. Pink noise delivers constant power per octave and the YPAO attempts to equalize the magnitude response accordingly. However, in attempting to achieve a "Flat" frequency response, this can have deleterious affects on impulse response and also reduce dynamic headroom in the amplifier if certain frequencies are boosted as opposed to being attenuated. If for example, the YPAO equalizes a +6dB gain centered around 3kHz, then the amplifier would be tasked to produce up to four times the power for that frequency band, thus reducing headroom and potentially causing compression, and/or distortion. Additionally, if the YPAO system attempts to compensate for a speaker deficiency by creating a boost because of improper crossover design and/or some other speaker anomaly or strange impedance characteristic, when coupled to an amplifier this can actually create a dangerous effect as it can potentially drive some amplifiers into oscillation when boosting under these circumstances ' what does it mean? using the eq can damage ur speakers? ive been using it but dont know if its actually harming my speakers. please explan this to me in plain english. thanks !

kexodusc
07-27-2004, 03:33 AM
I'm not an engineer, but I wouldn't worry too much about this. Yes, a large +6dB gain would require 4 times as much power, but the RX-V2400 has it in spades. Chances are you are only using a watt or 2 tops when you play your movies. Putting that up to 8 watts in a channel still leaves tons of headroom.
Also, I don't think the +6 dB example at 3kHz tells the whole story. Most loud spikes in movies are momentary, and not long sustained in nature, and they certainly aren't at 3 kHz sustained.

The blurb doesn't say it will damage your speakers, it warns against damaging the amplifier by sending it into oscillation. I'm going out on a limb and thinking you can trust Yamaha's R&D team more than Mr. Gene DellaSala, and that the amplifiers in the receiver will handle their own if driven within their limitations.

I think there could be an element of truth in this guy's claims, but unless you are hard of hearing and listen to movies with the dial set to "0 dB" chances are you've got little to worry about.

Interestingly enough, alot manufacturers are copying this feature and adding it to their line of receivers, I suspect this will be a standard feature in even cheap receivers before too long.

Personally, I haven't been all that impressed with my RX-V1400's parametric EQ. I don't find it makes near as much a difference as the next to perfect level setting and delay setting YPAO does.

That was a good find, marky, I'd like to see what others have to say about this.

marky
07-29-2004, 06:48 PM
i email yamaha with the question but they never answered back.