The Bourne Supremecy: There goes the franchise... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Bourne Supremecy: There goes the franchise...

topspeed
07-26-2004, 11:46 AM
What a let down this move was. The Bourne Identity was smart, had a cool, cold eastern Euro style to it and terrific fight scenes. The capper was a great chase scene with a Mini (or was it a Minor?). Great characters, great story, great direction. This was movie that had me salivating for a sequel. And then...

Blechh. This movie is an abject lesson in how to blend a compelling storyline, good actors, and an art house style director that completely screws it up. The problem isn't so much the acting or the story, it's how it is presented. My main gripe is you can't see a damn thing going on during the action sequences. Adopting a shaking, hand-held style of filming, everything turns into a churning mess. You literally can't tell what is what or who is who. This ticked me off to no end as the fight scenes in TBI were amazing. This all the more puzzling as the first installment's director (Doug Liman) now serves as Exec. Producer and thereby must have had some input into the selection process of new director.

This is rental, nothing more.

Worf101
07-27-2004, 07:31 AM
I thought the firrst movie was good, original, funny and different. And that's saying alot for an action film. Sigh.. well, here's to sequels, wherever they are.

Da Worfster :o

kexodusc
07-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Hi Topspeed,

I have to disagree wholeheartedly. Maybe I "marked" out or whatever, but my friends and I really enjoyed "The Bourne Supremacy", even more so than the first installment.

In fact, in my opinion this sequel is far superior in terms of storyline, acting, characters, action sequences, etc...There was actually some thought put into this story, and a much grander world was presented. More conspiracy theories, possibilities, and even the hint of evil villians. This is a total spy/action/thriller for adults. At the very worst, this movie is more of the same, and should be well appreciated by fans of the first movie. It was definitely less predictable than the first.

It's so easy to criticize movies, and we all do it, but I think credit is deserved when a movie delivers. But if there was one complaint, I agree, it would be the intentionally shaky camera angles, but they do add a sort of rushed, desparation to the film. Has the effect of bringing you there instead of watching stuff happen to Jason Bourne

Now don't get me wrong this isn't a 5 star movie by any means, but it's certainly worth a trip to the theatres to see. I liked TBI, but I didn't give any thought to the possibility of a sequel, TBS has me hoping they bring "The Bourne Ultimatum" to the big screen.

Besides, you gotta admit, Ben Affleck has failed time and again to sell himself as a tough ass-kicker. Matt Damon's pulled it off twice now. Anybody that can make Matt Damon look like a ninja is a hollywood genius :)

topspeed
07-27-2004, 01:36 PM
There was actually some thought put into this story, and a much grander world was presented. More conspiracy theories, possibilities, and even the hint of evil villians...It was definitely less predictable than the first.Hey KC,

That is funny because I thought the exact opposite. Whereas the first movie went from the ocean to Paris to all over the Euro countryside, this one seemed more centered in city. From the predictability aspect, I dunno, I considered it about a draw. Certainly, we didn't find any Kaiser Soze's here ;).

Besides, you gotta admit, Ben Affleck has failed time and again to sell himself as a tough ass-kicker. Matt Damon's pulled it off twice now. Anybody that can make Matt Damon look like a ninja is a hollywood genius :)No doubt, the only good Ben Affleck movie I've seen (not including Good Will Hunting) was Paycheck, and that was a complete surprise. I actually expected that one to suck but was pleasantly surprised. Maybe he simply exceeded my incredibly feeble expectations?

kexodusc
07-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Paycheck was okay...but he wasn't much of a tough guy as much as a desparate man on the run...still, a surprise. Maybe because they didn't try to make him a tough guy.
Affleck's been in two of the worst movies ever though. Pearl Harbour and Gigli...Give the man credit, it takes real fortitude to be able to rebound from one compelete bomb, but recovering from two lemons is something else.

I agree, there was a more urban feel to TBS, but that stayed loyal to the novels. It was just the setting...maybe less eye candy, but the car chases were cooler. I thought the humour was a bit better this time around too.

I'd continue this friendly debate but we've probably both realized it's hard to get into it without potentially spoiling it for those who haven't seen TBS yet. Needless to say, I'll respect your judgement, I feel both could stand on their own.

Incidentally, the final novel was my favorite, though I suspect it may be several years off (for good reasons). There just isn't enough good spy movies anymore. The new James Bond stuff is weak, and Tom Cruise killed any chance of Mission Impossible making ground.

BTW...wasn't Affleck in Reindeer Games?