What's better? New Denon AVR2805 or yamaha rx v1400 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's better? New Denon AVR2805 or yamaha rx v1400

Ricardo ferreira
07-26-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm intersted inbuying one of theres, Denon AVR2805 or yamaha rx v1400, can someone say whats better and why, because i'm in Brasil and i can't test them.Thanks

Woochifer
07-26-2004, 05:02 PM
What are the prices for those units in Brazil? In the U.S., the Denon comes in at $100 higher than the Yamaha. IMO, the Denon is pretty much on par with the Yamaha and doesn't add anything new, so on price alone, the Yamaha is probably the better value. However, what defines values depends on what you're looking for. If the Denon as a complete package better appeals to you, then that extra price might be worthwhile to you. The Yamaha's been out since last September, so it's proably easier to find a better price on the Yamaha.

kexodusc
07-27-2004, 03:43 AM
I did a heavy head-to-head demo of the avr-2803 (replaced by 2805) and the 1400 a few months back. I really liked both receivers, but in the end the 1400 won out feature wise. The 2805 has added the major pieces that the 1400 had over the 2803, so the decision is probably a bit harder to make.
I really liked the Denon receiver, and couldn't fault it for anything except price or value. I've long been told, and the general opinion on these boards seems to be that Yamaha has a slight edge in build quality. Take that for what it's worth though, as I have no way of proving this claim.
I will say that I did find Yamaha's DSP's to be quite a bit better than Denon's offerings, but though I do use them on occassion, I don't think DSP's should be a deciding factor in your decision to buy a receiver. I didn't really like any of the DSP's on the Denon, and only the movie DSP's on the Yamaha were fun to play with. Most DSP's were just kind of goofy to me. To each their own.

I'd echo Wooch's statements about the Yamaha offering better value based on the retail prices. You might be able to get a better deal on the Denon though? Both are good products.

Ricardo ferreira
07-27-2004, 09:05 AM
What are the prices for those units in Brazil? In the U.S., the Denon comes in at $100 higher than the Yamaha. IMO, the Denon is pretty much on par with the Yamaha and doesn't add anything new, so on price alone, the Yamaha is probably the better value. However, what defines values depends on what you're looking for. If the Denon as a complete package better appeals to you, then that extra price might be worthwhile to you. The Yamaha's been out since last September, so it's proably easier to find a better price on the Yamaha.

I need the better, don't matter the price.I have another doubt, does rx v1400 have the new Dolby pro logic IIx cause in yamaha site is not clear if it has or not.Thanks for your help

Ricardo ferreira
07-27-2004, 09:09 AM
I did a heavy head-to-head demo of the avr-2803 (replaced by 2805) and the 1400 a few months back. I really liked both receivers, but in the end the 1400 won out feature wise. The 2805 has added the major pieces that the 1400 had over the 2803, so the decision is probably a bit harder to make.
I really liked the Denon receiver, and couldn't fault it for anything except price or value. I've long been told, and the general opinion on these boards seems to be that Yamaha has a slight edge in build quality. Take that for what it's worth though, as I have no way of proving this claim.
I will say that I did find Yamaha's DSP's to be quite a bit better than Denon's offerings, but though I do use them on occassion, I don't think DSP's should be a deciding factor in your decision to buy a receiver. I didn't really like any of the DSP's on the Denon, and only the movie DSP's on the Yamaha were fun to play with. Most DSP's were just kind of goofy to me. To each their own.

I'd echo Wooch's statements about the Yamaha offering better value based on the retail prices. You might be able to get a better deal on the Denon though? Both are good products.

Thanks for ur help, but i have another doubt, does rx v1400 have the new Dolby pro logic IIx cause in yamaha site is not clear if it has or not.

kexodusc
07-27-2004, 09:19 AM
I need the better, don't matter the price.I have another doubt, does rx v1400 have the new Dolby pro logic IIx cause in yamaha site is not clear if it has or not.Thanks for your help

The Yamaha has the Prologic IIx...
I don't think the Denon is better or worse than the Yamaha, but I did notice the Yamaha is about 5 lbs heavier, and has a bit more power. Take that for what it's worth.

woodman
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Ricardo:
I have many, many years of hands-on experience with these products, and today I wouldn't agonize over this choice for even half a second. I strongly endorse Yamaha and its products ... for their engineering expertise, their build quality, their performance, their reliability, and their commitment to the consumer. I cannot say the same for Denon.

There was a time when these two companies were on a more or less equal footing, and choosing which one to buy was strictly a matter of personal, subjective choice. Today, it's no longer the case - since Denon was sold to a group of investment bankers a little more than two years ago. It is no longer a Japanese owned and operated company like it used to be, and like Yamaha still is. This completely changes the "playing field" and makes the choice of which to buy rather simple.

The fact that the Yamaha weighs more and is probably priced lower, is just more frosting on the cake - making the choice even easier.

Hope this helps you

kexodusc
07-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Ricardo:
I have many, many years of hands-on experience with these products, and today I wouldn't agonize over this choice for even half a second. I strongly endorse Yamaha and its products ... for their engineering expertise, their build quality, their performance, their reliability, and their commitment to the consumer. I cannot say the same for Denon.

There was a time when these two companies were on a more or less equal footing, and choosing which one to buy was strictly a matter of personal, subjective choice. Today, it's no longer the case - since Denon was sold to a group of investment bankers a little more than two years ago. It is no longer a Japanese owned and operated company like it used to be, and like Yamaha still is. This completely changes the "playing field" and makes the choice of which to buy rather simple.

The fact that the Yamaha weighs more and is probably priced lower, is just more frosting on the cake - making the choice even easier.

Hope this helps you

Geez Woodman, you own stock in Yamaha or something? :)

Actually I believe you gave me similar advice back in December or January when I was shopping. After inquiring at a few electronics repair shops, the techs all seemed to echo your claims about the build quality of Yamaha being 2nd to none. Some weren't convinced that Denon's new ownership translated into any quality changes one way or another, but most agreed that Denon didn't seem to have quite as strong a track record.

I actually had a slightly faulty Yamaha RX-V795-a receiver. Right rear channel made some weird pulsing hiss noise that was just barely detectable. Dealer fixed it up without question to "keep me happy". Never did ask what it was that caused that...

grampi
07-28-2004, 11:05 AM
I haven't seen any evidence to support any changes in the build quality of the Denon units since the coporate changes took place 2 years ago. From what I've seen, they're built every bit as good as they used to be. Any claims to the contrary is pure speculation.

grovenstein
07-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Heads, it's Yamaha; tails it's Denon.

You'll be happy with either!