HDTV Picture problems [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Picture problems

hmmmm
07-26-2004, 11:36 AM
I just wrote a very extensive post on the problem that's happening with my HDTV picture but the server was busy and I lost the post. I'm going to write a very condensed version so let me know if you need more:)
-I have a panasonic 47" projection HDTV and am using Adelphia's HDTV Cable Box
-Everything was set up with the Avia Home Theater Disk
-When playing movies on my Denon 2200 DVD player, it looks very impressive
-when watching regular cable it looks poor - but I expect that.
-when watching HBOHD or StarzHD it looks impressive at first but you can notice horizontal lines going across the screen. Perfectly spaced from top to bottom like wallpaper but it goes slightly higher from one end to the other and the lines don't move.
-you can't see the lines in the dark or light areas and they are grey and white.
-my neighbor's satellite HD programming on his 65" looks absolutely amazing but I'm not getting a dish for various reasons.
I'm using Monster cables in the entire setup except for The Adelphia cable box. They supplied the component cables and they seem pretty heavy duty.
Could this be interference? Or, a t.v. setup problem? Again it only happens on HDTV
Adelphia is not sure what the problem is. Any suggestions? Football is almost here and I need help:) Thanks!

sy_lu
07-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Sounds like interlace out of sync problem for 1080i. You will not see this on your DVD because it is most likely set for 480P. First, make sure both TV and cable box has the same setting, Your cable box may also have 720P setting but your TV does not. If they are both set for 1080i, try swap the cable box. If the second cable has the same problem then you may need to have your TV check up or find some one to lend you a HDTV over the air tuner box to try 1080i sync on your TV.

Your component video cable is not likley to the source of the problem but you can easily check it out by swaping it with your DVD player's cable.

hmmmm
07-27-2004, 06:17 AM
[QUOTE=sy_lu]Sounds like interlace out of sync problem for 1080i. You will not see this on your DVD because it is most likely set for 480P. First, make sure both TV and cable box has the same setting, Your cable box may also have 720P setting but your TV does not. If they are both set for 1080i, try swap the cable box. "

I checked the t.v and it is set correctly but I can't see anywhere on the cable box setup that shows anything about this setting. I'll ask the technician tomorrow. I'm going to buy new cables anyway just because one of them seems to be a little loose and falls out easily-even though that isn't the problem after messing around with them.
Thanks!

hmmmm
07-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Sounds like interlace out of sync problem for 1080i. You will not see this on your DVD because it is most likely set for 480P. First, make sure both TV and cable box has the same setting, Your cable box may also have 720P setting but your TV does not. If they are both set for 1080i, try swap the cable box. If the second cable has the same problem then you may need to have your TV check up or find some one to lend you a HDTV over the air tuner box to try 1080i sync on your TV.

Your component video cable is not likley to the source of the problem but you can easily check it out by swaping it with your DVD player's cable.

It turns out to be a couple of things. The cable box was defective so they changed it out after trying several reprograming attempts(the technician was there 2 hours). Also, the original cable installer didn't split the cables up properly so that I was getting a strong signal. We have 5 t.v.'s hooked up and the signal was really weak. We ended up getting 2 more HD cable channels by them replacing the box because the old box wasn't receiving the proper programming. Now I need them to get ABC in HD so I can watch Monday night football.
Thanks for the help!

gonefishin
07-31-2004, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the update on the problem...glad ya got it fixed! :D