What's new in the Market? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's new in the Market?

TinHere
12-04-2003, 09:22 PM
This was just posted concerning some "edgy" products planned for release in the not too distant future. Please keep in mind this was posted on the AV123 forum that Mark Schifter the founder runs, and he is addressing people that want to hear about what's in the works. Some exciting stuff. I have no affiliation with AV123 other than being a very satisfied customer with a desire to share the joy of new possibilities. It ain't just about the speakers as you will see if you read all of this. This from the man who brought Audio Alchemy and Perpetual Technologies to the public.

"Update Report on the Rocket RS 1000

Hello from Chicago…

Thanks for being patient with me for this next installment. I’ve been thinking night and day about our new Rocket RS 1000 after my last visit to China… As this will be the Top Of The Line for the Rocket Series of loudspeakers, I’m going to pour a lot into this product as it represents sort of a milestone for me… Let me explain why…

The RS 1000 is my idea of what a “next generation” loudspeaker will sound like. TREMENDOUS versatility and wide-band top to bottom performance will prove to be the hallmarks of this design. I have loads of confidence in the fundamental product concept, and as I’ve been playing with the two basic alpha samples we’ve produced… I’ve grown more and more convinced that we’ve hit the nail square on the head with this thinking. Can I review the basic design with you once again as I’ve modified some of my last (best) thinking?

To start with the RS 1K will be about 12 inches taller than the RS 750. We needed this space for various reasons… but let’s start with the obvious. This product will have a built-in side firing 8” mass-loaded woofer (NOT a sub woofer)… We need some space for this of course… I want to emphasize that this driver will “see” a primary steep slope high-pass filter of around 28Hz via the built-in amplifier and the associated R-DES (Rocket Digital Equalization System) that comes with it (more about that later).

What I want is for this driver to produce some fundamental (foundational) bass ONLY! I’m doing this mainly (if you follow my thought process) for multi-channel music applications, and let me say this… it REALLY works… You still get the slam from the hallmark 750 design (4X 5.25” woofers in our progressive matrix array) --- PLUS that mass loaded 8” guy hitting hard “underneath”… I just love the result… and I believe you will too!

O.K. --- more about the extra height. We are going to include in the RS 1K the same custom designed 4” midrange from the RSC 200 Bigfoot center channel. This will be positioned ABOVE the VIFA Ring Radiator Tweeter (to keep the tweeter more at an ear level positioning)… in an isolated and damped sub chamber. We’ve worked very hard to blend and match the basic signature of the RS 750 with the RSC 200… The results are really off the charts for me… I’ve never been prouder of anything I’ve been associated with… (IN other words… I’m really pleased)… Using my test system in China with 2 X UFW-10’s crossed out pretty low… it’s simply AWESOME… Fast, tight… well defined… and with TONS of slam. Music is stunning… and HT is simply astonishing (sorry for so much hyperbole), surpassing even my own expectations…

Let’s talk a bit about the 300 watt woofer amp included in this package (just for that 8” mass loaded guy) and our new Pacifico Software Interface. We’ve decided to include Pacifico in this product as I think it’s a MUST HAVE for any (sub) woofer in any room (once you use it… there is no turning back). That said though, I’ve come to a decision include it in its external box form (This will be known as the Rocket Digital Equalization System, or R-DES) for some very “sound” reasons… Let me explain.

The Pacifico Interface is the software that runs R-DES. In its external box form R-DES is a two channel analog in / two channel analog out digital equalization system with five pre-sets that allow you to call up any curve YOU DESIGN using yourcomputer. For those of you that are not as fluent in all of this… we will program R-DES (via Pacifico) with five really neat curves. However… if you want to tinker with your woofer interface to your room… you may do so by using your computer to design your own curves. A few of you have had a look at what the interface can do… and how it operates… and frankly --- its mind blowing. REALLY fun stuff… You build your own curves… upload them in real time (about 200mS) and wham… you hear the results on the spot. Let’s please remember that the TI DSP builds the coefficients and sends them as “Perfect Phase Filters”… Like I said… this is a MUST HAVE for any theater.

So to continue, R-DES has S/PDIF digital in(s) and digital out(s) in order to take advantage of some fun “digital” toys I expect to deliver next year… and on into the future. Originally, I was going to build the interface into the on-board amp in this design, and just offer you the one USB out to go to your computer (as previously discussed). But… instead I’ve decided to give you the complete R-DES product with the speakers as part of the package. In reality, R-DES will be available as an external product in early 2004 at a retail price of $399. So, those of you with SVS’s or HSU’s etc. can buy one to really optimize the performance of your subs… Remember, Pacifico has 5 bands of complete parametric equalization… with variable (selectable) frequency, variable Q and of course… variable gain of each filter band. You assign the values… you make your own calls --- and you design your own filters based on the needs of your subwoofer and room. Oh… and then later… (read on)…

Many of you can (already) imagine what we can offer later with the box being external (in R-DES form)… and with digital I/O’s there at the ready… I can promise you that later you’ll be able to download from our site a complete software update that will allow you to operate Pacifico as a full band, completely digital, parametric equalizer. That way, regardless of what speakers (or subs) you own now, or on into the future, R-DES has value to you today and tomorrow…

If you think I’m having fun with you… well… you’re right, I am. I love the power of digital (think Audio Alchemy and Perpetual Technologies)… and with R-DES and Pacifico there is no limit to where you can go with this. You can save 1000’s of curves (one for each movie if you wish) and upload them at will to your (sub) woofer. R-DES can store up to five curves that you can readily call up. To go to a new curve that you’ve designed… just upload it… it’s that simple.

So… R-DES and Pacifico are yours… and for those of you that want ERT’s we’ll have a special package price for you. I’ve decided to not include these in the $2799 base price… but if you want them (and I DO)… they will be yours for $199 for the pair. Please remember that any single pair of Rocket loudspeakers may be traded in on RS 1K’s and you’ll receive 100% of your paid in price in trade (sans freight) towards your purchase. No kidding… for real.

There is so much more to tell you about the RS 1K… but I really need to get this data uploaded and then I’ll do my best to answer questions as they come up one by one… I’ve been trying to do this for days now between meetings etc.

The Rocket RS 1000 is my gift back to you… This is my very best thinking, and that of our immensely talented engineering staff… I’m excited about this product, and I know it shows… (My apologies again for so much hyperbole… but this product and the formidable duo of the Pacifico Interface and the R-DES hardware deserves this level of excitement)

My very best Holiday wishes to all of you… more later for sure about this… and several other subjects I will be touching on soon…

Thanks again…

All the best…

mls"

Here's the link. This was from page 4. Enjoy the possibilities, they're real.

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1773&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

dmb_fan
12-05-2003, 01:50 PM
The integration of powered woofers with internal digital parametric EQs sounds to me like the most significant loudspeaker innovation I can think of in the past ten years--maybe longer! I don't know if anyone has done this before this upcoming pair of Rockets, but in retrospect, the idea seems like it was a long time coming (as all worthwhile innovations inevitably do). The speakers sound great on paper, and I'll definitely be anxious to go audition a pair if some lucky soul in the Seattle area takes the plunge. Or maybe I'll fly out to brother Tin's house when he buys them. You all know he's gonna--the glue was hardly dry on the first pair of Rockets before he had 'em in his living room. :^)

The time and effort involved in setting up my subwoofer with high and low pass filters (a separate component crossover) and a digital parametric EQ (another component) was overwhelming even for a confessed audio geek like myself. I can only dream of the day that I can plug in a pair of speakers with powered woofers, place a mic in the listening position and with a few keystrokes obtain a nice flat in-room low frequency response. Plus: my current EQ only feeds the subwoofer which only responds up to 80Hz (gotta be nondirectional), leaving plenty of low frequencies (80-150Hz or so) unequalized. I don't know where the 8" in the rockets will cut off, but my guess is it will be well over 100Hz (no need for bass to be nondirectional if it's coming from the speakers) which provides a much better opportunity to flatten all of the in-room low frequency problems most of us grapple with.

Brilliant!

Thanks for the tip!

-Adam

TinHere
12-05-2003, 03:12 PM
The integration of powered woofers with internal digital parametric EQs sounds to me like the most significant loudspeaker innovation I can think of in the past ten years--maybe longer! I don't know if anyone has done this before this upcoming pair of Rockets, but in retrospect, the idea seems like it was a long time coming (as all worthwhile innovations inevitably do). The speakers sound great on paper, and I'll definitely be anxious to go audition a pair if some lucky soul in the Seattle area takes the plunge. Or maybe I'll fly out to brother Tin's house when he buys them. You all know he's gonna--the glue was hardly dry on the first pair of Rockets before he had 'em in his living room. :^)

The time and effort involved in setting up my subwoofer with high and low pass filters (a separate component crossover) and a digital parametric EQ (another component) was overwhelming even for a confessed audio geek like myself. I can only dream of the day that I can plug in a pair of speakers with powered woofers, place a mic in the listening position and with a few keystrokes obtain a nice flat in-room low frequency response. Plus: my current EQ only feeds the subwoofer which only responds up to 80Hz (gotta be nondirectional), leaving plenty of low frequencies (80-150Hz or so) unequalized. I don't know where the 8" in the rockets will cut off, but my guess is it will be well over 100Hz (no need for bass to be nondirectional if it's coming from the speakers) which provides a much better opportunity to flatten all of the in-room low frequency problems most of us grapple with.

Brilliant!

Thanks for the tip!

-Adam

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the response. I thought it was innovative too. Mark has been a leader in the digital domain. I think in the future online access will enable much of what he has developed and will continue to develop will be available. I don't think he decided on an online only business model without seeing the possibilities of data transfer.

The PT gear that is available now is what a lot of people are looking for and don't know about to maximize 2 channel music. When the SOCS [Speaker Only Correction Software] and RCS [Room Correction Software] are available it could really revolutionize home audio. The products already have for many who swear by them even without the upcoming software options. As a 2 channel guy you owe it to yourself to check these out for the price of shipping.

It will be hard to convince myself that the room I have warrants RS1000's, but maybe with the 100% credit for my 750's?? I really think I like them too much to give them up. I need to build a room to set up what I would like to have.

Keep an eye on that place, it really is where a lot of innovation is coming from. A really incredible company for the people as much as the products. Amazing customer service.

TinHere
12-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Because of all the interest this thread has generated [ok I'm interested] I thought I'd post a picture of a soon to be released Strata RLS One, not to be confused with the Rocket RSS1000 discussed earlier.

Strata RLS One