Who can teach me about the band Saga? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who can teach me about the band Saga?

Dave_G
07-26-2004, 08:23 AM
I have seen a bunch of their cd's at Tower, they all look cool based on cover artwork, but I have no idea where to start.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks-

Dave

Troy
07-26-2004, 08:37 AM
The 2 produced by Rupert Hine (Worlds Apart and Heads or Tails) are the best ones.

I've tried a few other ones and they are pretty average.

I suspect you'll like this band.

Dusty Chalk
07-26-2004, 08:46 AM
...but I couldn't tell you where to start. I remember liking most of the albums up until Generation 13 and The Pleasure and the Pain, but when I listened to Full Circle (or was it Marathon?), it came across as more dated than I remember them being.

Stone
07-26-2004, 12:53 PM
I have this on vinyl:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc400/c457/c45718t3iu4.jpg

But I've never listened to it. Should I give it a listen or would I be wasting my time (based on my taste, which typically does not favor prog)?

Troy
07-26-2004, 03:02 PM
I have this on vinyl:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc400/c457/c45718t3iu4.jpg

But I've never listened to it. Should I give it a listen or would I be wasting my time (based on my taste, which typically does not favor prog)?

I suspect it will induce vomiting. Use as directed.

BarryL
07-26-2004, 03:16 PM
I suspect you'll like this band.

Yep. Dave, you should like this band. One of the keyboardists went to my high school, Jim Gilmour. He was one grade above me. Their first two albums were okay, but I've never heard any of their stuff beyond that.

progfan
07-27-2004, 04:48 AM
I'm only familiar with the S/T debut and "Worlds Apart". The S/T is excellent, imo. It's more of a proggy prog album than "Worlds Apart" if you know what I'm saying. There's some great melodies and most of the songs are in the 6 minute range. '

"Worlds Apart" is a little too "80s" for my taste. This was I believe the band's only hit record in the states. If you put Asia's first album and any number of early 80s new wave acts in a blender, that's "Worlds Apart". Having said that, there are a few good tracks.