Investing in Monster Ultra THX Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Investing in Monster Ultra THX Cables

hershon
07-26-2004, 12:14 AM
Expounding on an earlier post that I left out part of the products name, can someone please tell me, feel free to talk in technical terms here if you wish-I'm a hypocrite, if it's worth getting the following relatively expensive top of the line Monster Ultra THX Cables? Specifically I need to know whether I will see or hear a difference in picture or sound quality from my current cable set up.
Subwoofer- I use a THX Subwoofer Cable that is put out by Monster but its the lowest quality of the monster subwoofer cables, Ultra THX is the best quality. Will I notice a difference in sound if I upgrade to Ultra THX? TV DVD/Receiver connection to my TV's picture is THX Composite not Ultra THX Composite. My TV is a 46" Sony but not high definition. Will the DVD or video picture look noticeably better if I upgrade to Ultra?. . For sound from the TV to the receiver I've just been using generic RCA cables. Will TV sound quality from my receiver be significantly better if I upgrade to either Ultra THX or THX cables? Copying to VCR Lastly I use generic RCA cables to copy from my VCR or DVD to VCR. Will I notice any difference in the sound and picture quality if I upgrade to Ultra THX or THX. I welcome and thank you for any comments.

sy_lu
07-26-2004, 01:11 AM
The simple answer is no. Don't wast money. Monster is good for marketing not so much products. First of all, I don't think line level cable will make much difference as long as they are decently made which brings up the problem of Monster's build quality, I have a Monster audio line cable (never care to remember how they call it). The only reason I brought it is becasue it was an open box at Goodguys selling about he same price as a Radio Shack cable, I was very surprised to find out the cable was very poorly soldered on to the RCA connector. I think I would have done better with the Radio Shack (or even Wal-Mart?) cable.

N. Abstentia
07-26-2004, 04:09 AM
Agreed, Monster Cable is a joke.

topspeed
07-26-2004, 12:56 PM
You might want to post your question on the Cable Forum, Hershon. You'll probably get more responses.

Woochifer
07-26-2004, 01:06 PM
If you're using the cable for composite video to the TV, the only thing you have to worry about is if the shielding is sufficient to keep EM interference out. Even the most basic Monster, Radio Shack, or AR cables should be good enough for this. So long as you're not using OEM cables with the poorly fitted connectors and molded plastic construction, you should be okay.

Using a calibration DVD like Avia, Digital Video Essentials, or the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup DVD to adjust the settings on your TV will go much further in improving your picture quality than new cabling ever will. The S&V disc at Borders will sell for $15, which is much cheaper than new cabling.

With VHS dubbing, I doubt you'll see a huge improvement by swapping out the cables. The resolution's just not good enough to justify a major investment in cables that cost almost as much as the VCR itself. When I switched out the cabling, I only noticed an improvement with the satellite and DVD picture quality, but keep in mind that I also lived in a very high interference area that caused image shifting and ghosting.

hershon
07-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks I'll check this out at Borders this week.
If you're using the cable for composite video, the only thing you have to worry about is if the shielding is sufficient to keep EM interference out. Even the most basic Monster, Radio Shack, or AR cables should be enough for this. So long as you're not using OEM cables with the poorly fitted connectors and molded plastic construction, you should be okay.

Using a calibration DVD like Avia, Digital Video Essentials, or the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup DVD to adjust the settings on your TV will go much further in improving your picture quality than new cabling ever will. The S&V disc at Borders will sell for $15, which is much cheaper than new cabling.

hershon
07-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Thank You. Didn't even realise that forum was on here. Will post my question on their. Appreciat your input.
You might want to post your question on the Cable Forum, Hershon. You'll probably get more responses.

Krazykaj
08-03-2004, 07:56 PM
don't waste the money