Plan for 5 speakers or 6 (not counting sub)? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Plan for 5 speakers or 6 (not counting sub)?

gregb
07-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey folks, second post. :)

As I indicated in a previous post, I'm having my basement finished. I have planned for a 5 speaker system (5 satelites + 1 subwoofer), 2 rear surround speakers, two front, one center channel and 1 subwoofer.

Should I plan on more speakers? Where? Rear center channel? If so, I need to change plans NOW as dry wall goes on in a couple of days.

Currently, I have a denon dolby digital system with 5 infinity surround speakers and 1 8" infinity sub.

Greg

This Guy
07-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Do you have space behind your listening position? Like is your coach pushed up all the way against the back wall? If so only wire for 5.1 because if you try to fit one or more speakers back there, it won't sound too good, and you'll just end up getting a better sound with 5.1. If however you have room, I'd wire it for 7.1, just incase you do move up to more speakers. Make one of the wires a little too long so that it can reach to the middle of the room if you decide to do 6.1 instead.

-Joey

NickWH
07-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Definitely drop the extra cable now, as you may regret not having that option later. Plan for side surround speakers and a rear center.