Joe Strummer's "Street Core"-anyone recomend it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Joe Strummer's "Street Core"-anyone recomend it?

Jim Clark
12-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Decent review at AMG and other sources. I know the song Coma Girl rocks but the other samples I've heard seem to lean in a much more mellow direction. Any opinions from the masses here?

jc

Stone
12-04-2003, 07:34 PM
It's one great album. It'll be in my top 5 of the year. Most of it is reggae influenced, and their cover of "Redemption Song" is probably my favorite Marley cover ever. It does have one Big Audio-type song that doesn't really fit with the rest, but overall I am really impressed with it.

nobody
12-05-2003, 06:06 AM
OK...I'm in the minority here and am probably going to piss some folks off. I was always a big Clash fan. Loved 'em. Still, Strummer's solo stuff has always left me pretty luke warm at best. I haven't heard the new one, so maybe it will change my mind. But, everything I have heard from him has been a bit to the bland side for me. Nothing new or interesting and nowhere near the energy of the Clash with songs that just don't jump out at you the wat Clash tunes did. Hate to kick a guy when he's down...forever, but as much as I loved the Clash and still respected Strummer for that if nothing else, his solo work never got me excited. I've always much preferred Big Audio Dynamite for post Clash work.

That said, I am curious about this one if it's reggae tinged. I did always enjoy the Clash's forrays into reggae territory.

Mr MidFi
12-05-2003, 06:31 AM
I listened to it once, and I liked it. Larry the Graphic Designer (whose office is constantly filled with tasty toonage) freakin' loves it. I downloaded Coma Girl and Redemption Song from iTunes the next day.

I will say this, though. Coma Girl is clearly the best song on there.

Jim Clark
12-05-2003, 07:03 AM
I will say this, though. Coma Girl is clearly the best song on there.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's an excelllent song so the rest should have some wiggle room to be good-very good. I asked simply for the reasons Nobody voiced. I've been looking for a used copy which would be my ideal solution, but to no avail. On the other hand I'd hate to miss something that would make my top 10 and going with Stone's opinion has seldom if ever turned out bad.

Thanks guys.

jc