analog reciever/processor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : analog reciever/processor

musicman1999
07-24-2004, 05:38 PM
i am looking for a reciever or processor with 2 multi channel inputs,direct input for stereo only sources and preouts.my dvd player has hi quality onboard processing so i dont need digital on the reciever and my video sources connect direct to tv so video switching is not needed.the only wish would be for pl11 but its lack would not be a deal breaker.also like to stay under $2000.00 cdn.
anyone heard of such a unit?

woodman
07-25-2004, 03:11 PM
i am looking for a reciever or processor with 2 multi channel inputs,direct input for stereo only sources and preouts.my dvd player has hi quality onboard processing so i dont need digital on the reciever and my video sources connect direct to tv so video switching is not needed.the only wish would be for pl11 but its lack would not be a deal breaker.also like to stay under $2000.00 cdn.

To the best of my knowledge there is no such critter being built today - but more to the point, how did you manage to get yourself painted into a corner like this? How did you come to the conclusion that your DVD player's on board DACs are gonna be so much "better" than what you're going to experience from any receiver that you're determined to use them - even if it means sacrificing something else that you say you want to have (DPL II)?

Two discrete multi-channel inputs are also something that I don't know the existence of - unless they might be found on some exotic (expensive) pre-pro costing thousands of dollars. I think your interests would be best served by revisiting your priorities, and selecting a good A/V receiver to fill your needs. You'll still have the 2 multi-channel input requirement to deal with, but that can be solved with a pair of mechanical A/V switches such as the Sima SV-14 which can be had for around $30 - 35 each.

Hope this helps you out of your dilemma

musicman1999
07-25-2004, 04:16 PM
To the best of my knowledge there is no such critter being built today - but more to the point, how did you manage to get yourself painted into a corner like this? How did you come to the conclusion that your DVD player's on board DACs are gonna be so much "better" than what you're going to experience from any receiver that you're determined to use them - even if it means sacrificing something else that you say you want to have (DPL II)?

Two discrete multi-channel inputs are also something that I don't know the existence of - unless they might be found on some exotic (expensive) pre-pro costing thousands of dollars. I think your interests would be best served by revisiting your priorities, and selecting a good A/V receiver to fill your needs. You'll still have the 2 multi-channel input requirement to deal with, but that can be solved with a pair of mechanical A/V switches such as the Sima SV-14 which can be had for around $30 - 35 each.

Hope this helps you out of your dilemma
my question does not stem fron a dilemma. I currently own a cambridge audio 540d dvd player,ca 540r reciever,sony sacd player,and arcam cd73t cd player.the 540r is a fine reciever in analog modes,but its on board digital decoder is not as good as the on board unit on the dvd player(which is very,very good).using the 6 channel input for dvd-v gives my best movie sound.have you used the switchers,are there any sonic problems.my sysyem is used for 60-70 percent music,so my arcam,540r,jmlabs cobalt speakers make a nice music system.so the analog sound is what i'm after.mcintosh makes a unit that is just what i want but is over twice what i want to spend.
thanks for your input

N. Abstentia
07-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Might just be better off replacing your existing CD player, dvd player, and sacd player with a higher end universal player. That's exactly what I did, but I got the Marantz DV6400 which is awesome. However you will probably want the units that are a step above that, I believe Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, and many others make units for around $1000 or so.

musicguy04
07-29-2004, 06:22 AM
If he already has an Arcam CD73T in addition to a separate DVD player, I don't think any of the $1k universal players will handle CD's as good as his Arcam, but will probably do everything else better.

Woochifer
07-29-2004, 11:04 AM
All the receivers out there only include one set of multichannel inputs. For two channel sources, the better receivers out there provide analog bypasses in their internal circuitry and use digitally regulated analog volume controls, all of which eliminate redundant A/D-D/A conversions. I know that the flagship Denon receivers (the AVR-4802R can now be found for around $1,500 since it's due for replacement soon) also include a parallel analog bass management circuit so that it maintains the signal in the analog domain when the DSP circuits are switched off but you still want the receiver to perform the low frequency crossover.

For your multichannel players, one approach would be to add a multichannel switch box. I know there are other less expensive models out there, but this Zektor model's the first one that I could find information on. As others have said though, it might be time to look into a universal player.

http://www.laaudiofile.com/mas3.html

AVMASTER
07-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Sony STR-DA5ES
if you can't find one new I'll sell you my display-$850 plus shipping, originally $1300.