Any "Cheesy 80s" Recs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any "Cheesy 80s" Recs?

Audio Girl
07-23-2004, 11:06 PM
My son who is currently deployed with the USMC to the beautiful sandy desert of Iraq recently requested that I send one of his superiors a CD or two. He said that this USMC superior loved "cheesy 80s" music. Any recs would be appreciated (and believe it or not, this is a serious thread). I found an 80s "greatest hits" at Walgreens but it looked kinda pitiful, to be honest. Your input would be appreciated. (my son forgets I was so busy raising him that I really didn't get to invest in the music of that time period). :-)

Thanks,
Mary H.
Proud Marine Mom of LCPL Ryan
Deployed ~ Iraq

mad rhetorik
07-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Bon Jovi
Poison
Ratt
The Scorpions
Def Leppard
Skid Row
Tesla
Twisted Sister

I would mention Iron Maiden and Guns 'N' Roses too...but I actually like those bands. ; P

Outside of the c<a>ock-rock genre:

Culture Club
Human League
Bananarama
Bad English
The B-52's
Devo (after their first album)

Stone
07-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Devo (after their first album)

Seriously? I'll agree they put out some cheesy stuff, but their first three albums are great and most of the stuff after that is really good too. Don't make me have Dave G kick your ass. :)

Mary, if you're looking for a comp, there's one called The Big 80s on Rhino that has a lot of cheesy stuff to most people (I like most of it, though). Not sure if it's still in print, but here's the track list:

1 We Got the Beat - Go Go's 2:32
2 Take on Me - AHa 3:49
3 The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats 2:47
4 Cars - Gary Numan 3:59
5 99 Red Balloons - Nena 3:54
6 Time (Clock of the Heart) - Culture Club 3:45
7 Tempted - Squeeze 4:01
8 I Know There's Something Going On - Frida 4:07
9 You Might Think - Cars 3:08
10 867-5309/Jenny - Tommy Tutone 3:48
11 Centerfold - Geils, J. Band 3:39
12 Brand New Lover - Dead Or Alive 3:38
13 Rapture - Blondie 6:31
14 Abracadabra - Steve Miller 3:38
15 Sister Christian - Night Ranger 4:17

I also owe you an apology for never sending the albums I promised you. They've been sitting here in a stack for a few months ready to go. I'll get them to you soon.

Stone

JDaniel
07-24-2004, 10:24 AM
My 20 year high school reunion is next week. I won't be going due to the new baby which arrived last week. But a few months back, I agreed to do a series of compilation discs to play at the reunion, and have there for anyone to make a copy of. It turned out to be 7 discs, probably 130 songs, maybe 60 or so artists arranged from A - Z, and all the songs are from roughly 1980 - 1985. Everything from Joan Armatrading, to Billy Idol, to Tears for Fears, the Violent Femmes, and ZZ Top, and a lot of others. I'm sure there's some cheesy stuff in there.

If you want a set, let me know. If you want the tracklist first, I have it on my computer at work and can email it to you on monday.

JD

Davey
07-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Hard to find a 80's collection that isn't all cheese, but I did check one out from my library a few weeks ago just for fun and it was really good and just that, fun. It's called <i>Pure 80's</i> and has 20 hits. They have a couple subsequent volumes that are pretty good too. Should be widely available and might've even been one that you saw at Walmart, who knows. Check the link for track list and stuff.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Pure%2080's:1921349345:page=tracks

Of course the problem is, if a person loves cheesy 80s music that much then they've probably already heard all this radio fluff about a thousand too many times already. And I would never buy a copy for myself because the big hits are so worn out. Maybe cull some of the more accessible stuff from Stoney's excellent 2-disc 80s collection and make a flashy cover for it with lots of scantily clad, big-haired girls. Or use Mark's also excellent collection from the 80s. Or Jim's was pretty cheesy, if I recall ;)

Audio Girl
07-26-2004, 06:02 AM
My 20 year high school reunion is next week. I won't be going due to the new baby which arrived last week. But a few months back, I agreed to do a series of compilation discs to play at the reunion, and have there for anyone to make a copy of. It turned out to be 7 discs, probably 130 songs, maybe 60 or so artists arranged from A - Z, and all the songs are from roughly 1980 - 1985. Everything from Joan Armatrading, to Billy Idol, to Tears for Fears, the Violent Femmes, and ZZ Top, and a lot of others. I'm sure there's some cheesy stuff in there.

If you want a set, let me know. If you want the tracklist first, I have it on my computer at work and can email it to you on monday.

JD

Wow! These are great responses...I've missed conversing with you guys and gals.

JD, that sounds like an excellent set up discs. I'd love to get a copy of them for you but that's a mighty big task. I've purchased some CDs in the last year that I really haven't had the chance to listen to yet. Could I trade you a brand new Evan Dando CD for the set (and a surprise disc too)? Don't know whether you still have my mailing address but shoot me an email if you do not: it is a yahoo account preceded by mlcheist.

Stone and Davey, you come through as always. Love you guys! I'm going to go to half.com and see if either disc is available for purchase ~ also going to do some surfing and see if I can pickup a new disc on the cheap.

Mad Rhetorik, are you one of our former regulars who went through a moniker change? I'm trying to figure out who you are if you did. Your suggestions were awesome ~ I'm going to see if there is a worthy Def Leppard and Bon Jovi greatest hit CD out there. Comest out and let me know who you is.

I probably should have clarified my original post. My son's superior loves 80's music ~ Ryan is the one who classifed it as "cheesey". :-)

Update on Ryan: I haven't heard from him in a while. Evidently where he based in Iraq doesn't have telephone or email service or they haven't been able to get it established yet. No news is supposed to be good news but it sure is hard on this Mom's nerves.

Additional suggestions would be appreciated, if more come to mind. I intend to include CDs in each of this young Marine's care packages & will be sending him one about every two to three weeks. His family is low income & cannot afford to send him anything while he is deployed. In fact, when my son emailed me prior to one of our last contacts, he said: "Mom, my 3 best buddies never receive any mail or care packages. Well, I take that back. Lcpl H just received his first piece of mail...a bill." So, I have adopted all 3 and keep them in cards, letters, and care packages tailored to their likes. :-)

Thanks again ~ more suggestions welcomed ~ its so good to communicate here again~

Best,
Mary

mad rhetorik
07-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Mad Rhetorik, are you one of our former regulars who went through a moniker change? I'm trying to figure out who you are if you did. Your suggestions were awesome ~ I'm going to see if there is a worthy Def Leppard and Bon Jovi greatest hit CD out there. Comest out and let me know who you is.

Nope, never changed my handle. The date I joined (listed under my name) must be some kind of registration error (it should read Sep. or Oct. <b>2003</b>).

I'm sure you can snag a Bon Jovi or Def Leppard greatest hits for cheap. Check the bargain bins. Also, I forgot to mention another '80s synth-cheese band--Simple Minds. Definitely look into them too.

Best of luck to your son!

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2004, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=mad rhetorik]I'm sure you can snag a Bon Jovi or Def Leppard greatest hits for cheap. Check the bargain bins. Also, I forgot to mention another '80s synth-cheese band--Simple Minds. Definitely look into them too. [QUOTE]

Mary, sitting on our CD racks we have....
Best of Bon Jovi
Best of Def Leppard
Best of Simple Minds
I think we may even have a Best of Poison.

The FA household loves cheesy 80's music. :D

PM me your address. I'd be happy to help you out!

JDaniel
07-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Mary - I'll email you the tracklist from work tomorrow or Wed. If you want a set, let me know. No trades necessary.

Jeff

Swish
07-26-2004, 03:56 PM
how the hell have you been Mary? I haven't heard a peep from you in a long time. Hope all is well in Texas. I actually have a comp that I think you would enjoy and was planning on sending it to you anyway, so keep an eye on your mailbox in the coming days. I'm in NJ for a couple days so I won't be able to send it until later on in the week.

Also, I'll keep your son in my thougths. Irzq is one tough place to be right now, and you should be very proud of him.

Regards,
Swish

Audio Girl
07-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi Swishie,

I lurk here occasionally, have posted only rarely, alot of that is a mix of work load commitment (too much) and the rest is explained in your post about Six Feet Under. My son's deployment to Iraq has affected me greater than I ever imagined it could or would. It has been a rollercoaster ride, to say the least.

Thank you for keeping Ryan in your thoughts. Yes, we are proud of our son. Ryan is flourishing in the military, and I am so impressed with the men and women that I've met who serve in our military. I'm looking forward to the day that Ryan sets foot on US soil again.

My intent is to be a more active participant here...I've missed you guys and gals. It's difficult to participate though when you aren't listening to ANY music. Be sure and check out your post about SFU.

Your buddy,
Ag

skewiff
07-29-2004, 06:35 AM
Mary

It's good to see a post from you again. I work with a lady who's son is in Iraq (2nd tour also a Marine). She's anxious all the time, she says the worst thing is not knowing what's happening

I have a lot of admiration for all the people in uniform who strive daily to protect us, truly a breed apart.

I do believe our B'day's are next week so, Happy Birthday to you.

Tony