Whats the benefits of a mosfet amplification on a recevier? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Whats the benefits of a mosfet amplification on a recevier?

Ricardo ferreira
07-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Whats the benefits os a mosfet amplification system on a receiver as the pioneer vsx d1014?Can someone help with my doubt, cause i'm interested in buying this and i wanna know if its good or not.Thanks for help

mtrycraft
07-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Whats the benefits os a mosfet amplification system on a receiver as the pioneer vsx d1014?Can someone help with my doubt, cause i'm interested in buying this and i wanna know if its good or not.Thanks for help

Nothing more than a designers choice for a design.

Dr. David Rich has examined different topology designs and found it didn't matter to audio sound.

Geoffcin
07-23-2004, 05:15 PM

Because I have TWO Pioneer receivers now, and have had good service from them. MOSFET output devices are very reliable, and have the ability to deliver high current when needed.

cam
07-23-2004, 08:30 PM
I don't know about any benefits but what I can tell you about, was that my old Technics sadx-1050 mos-fet high current ran extremely hot all the time. Just turn it on with no signal at all and this thing would fry eggs. I don't know if it was the mos-fet design or a bad design but from now on I will not buy a mos-fet designed product unless someone can prove to me that it will run cool atleast while it is idling.

Geoffcin
07-24-2004, 04:12 PM
I don't know about any benefits but what I can tell you about, was that my old Technics sadx-1050 mos-fet high current ran extremely hot all the time. Just turn it on with no signal at all and this thing would fry eggs. I don't know if it was the mos-fet design or a bad design but from now on I will not buy a mos-fet designed product unless someone can prove to me that it will run cool atleast while it is idling.

Depending on how much bias current the designer runs though the output stages will determine how much "waste" heat is produced. My old PS Audio amp used to run hot at idle too, and it used Bi-polar transistors, instead of MOSFET.

kexodusc
07-25-2004, 04:14 AM
Cam: I use to own a cheap-o Technics stereo receiver years ago...let's just say Technics have always been known for running hot, and leave it at that. Read the reviews on some of their products.
I don't think this has anything in particular to do with the MOSFETS, I've owned several large power amps that use them, and all ran cooler than my old Technics. The Technics would actually burn your hand if you touched it...damn thing wouldn't die though, I gave it away to a friend and he's still using it in his shop.