Norh 4.0 vs. Norh 5.1 for Stereo Sound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Norh 4.0 vs. Norh 5.1 for Stereo Sound

paulluse
07-22-2004, 09:11 AM
I am looking for speakers that will be a nice conversation piece in my livingroom and I really like the nOrh's. My livingroom is about 20'x12'x9' and it also connects with the diningroom, so its rather large.

Has anyone compared the 4.0's to the 5.1's? I want the synthetic marble if I go with the 5.1's and the black ceramic if I go with the 4.0's (I would like the marble, but this is out of my price range). The 4.0's seem to get more buzz, but they may be too small for the space I'm trying to fill.

Thanks

Jetsons
07-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Have not heard the 5.1s but based on what I've read, this may not be the speaker to get in the nOrh line up. You can perform a seach or post an inquiry at audiocircle.com and perhaps get more info on the 5.1s. The folks at AC will be more than glad to help you out.

The marble 4.0s which I own are excellent IMO. This speaker is very nicely detailed with superb imaging and not fatiguing in any way. The 4.0s can play very loud witout strain or distortion. They are also very easy to place in a rooms even with the rear port. With a decent quality sub (nothing large) I seriously doubt you'll have problems filling your room.

The conversation piece would be the 4.0s in marble (stunning finish) but the marble enclosures are no longer being produced by nOrh. I don't see folks selling them as this type of cabinet construction at this price may not be seen for MANY moons to come.

Cheers,

Jet

Bryan
07-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Both the 4.0 and 5.1 are excellent speakers. Both share the same tweeters, woofers, and crossovers. The main difference is the 5.1s will go deeper due to their larger size. For music, that is a wonderful thing. I own both wood 5.1s and ceramic 4.0s. The wood 5.1s are much better looking, IMO, and have a warmer sound than the ceramic 4.0.

For a music system, however, you will want look elsewhere. This isn't to say the 4.0s/5.1s are bad at all. Far from it. If you were going for HT at that price it would be a no-brainer. (Come to think of it, may I interest you in a ceramic blue/silver nOrh 4.0 HT package for $450 plus shipping? ;^))

You could look into either the Rocket RS150 (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1095961796) in ebony for $225 plus shipping or the Rocket RS250 (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1096076126) in ebony for $465 delivered. IMO, for music, something from Rocket, Odyssey, Shamrock Audio, Ascend Acoustics, or Magnepan would be more desireable than the pair of 4.0s or 5.1s.

Jetsons
07-27-2004, 01:40 PM
"For a music system, however, you will want look elsewhere."

Brian, I realize this hobby is very subjective in nature but your statement above may be a bit rough on the 4.0s. Case in point: A buddy and I spent the better part of an afternoon directly compating the marble 4.0 to the highly regarded "musical" ACI Sapphire III. Equipment used was an Odyssey Stratos, Cal Audio source directly connected to the amp & 24" Target stands. Levels were matched and no sub was used.

The marble 4.0s came out as better performers to both of our ears regrdless of the music. The 4.0s imaged much better, had increased detail and had more rhythm & pace plus improved instrument seperation compared to the ACI. The ACI is a very good speaker with more bass but they were quickly sold after this comparison. Suffice it to say that we were both a it surprised by our listening test results. YMMV.

Just my 2 cents.

Jet

Bryan
07-29-2004, 06:27 AM
I do agree as the 4.0 has phenominal imaging and soundstage. If the system were to be used more towards HT, this would be a no brainer, IMO. Heck, for that matter it would probably be worth the $450 plus shipping gamble for all five of mine, even though they are not black. (Keeping in mind a pair of new ones go for $400.)

That being said, my preference for music has gravitated more towards the Rocket RS550s I have now. Even so, I prefer the RS150s over the 4.0s. The finish is much better, IMO, and they go deeper. The sound is very similar. The edge for soundstage still has to go to the nOrhs. I have yet to hear a speaker that meets or exceeds them in that area.

Comparing the 4.0s to the Swan M200s, the 4.0s come out on top in all areas. Same drivers and tweeters but, to be fair, different applications as the Swans are multimedia speakers.

Now, if he can find a pair of black marble 4.0s for $400 that becomes a no brainer, especially as they truly will be a conversation piece.