Best subwoofer for $300 or less [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best subwoofer for $300 or less

bullion
07-22-2004, 08:30 AM
What do you guys recommend as far as a good sub for $300 or less (I don't really want anything small, otherwise my main speakers will drown it out)?

newbsterv2
07-22-2004, 09:41 AM
a sub that is worth $1,000 if you were to buy it at a store. Sure you have to assemble it but just think there's no tax, no shipping, and you're getting a sub that has excellent components included!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-760&DID=7

What do you guys recommend as far as a good sub for $300 or less (I don't really want anything small, otherwise my main speakers will drown it out)?

KRiTiKaL
07-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I wanted to go the budget route, but if your going to do something do it right. I am going with an Adire Rava. It is a sealed sub with a 12" subwoofer and 250watts RMS for $399. My 10" sub I have now just doesnt have enough depth. Anyway I would add an extra $150 - $200 to your budget so you can get quality.

This Guy
07-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Yeah I'm gonna second the previous posters. Get the Rava or partsexpress kit. Rava would be a little better, but it is $50 more.

WillyT
07-23-2004, 06:18 AM
I have been real impressed with any Audiobahn Subs that I have bought. I have been purchasing them online www.thestereohouse.com. They seem to have really good deals on Audiobahn. I just ordered some Audiobahn AW1208T. I will keep you posted to let you know how they turn out.

This Guy
07-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Audiobahn are car speakers. Go to Caraudioreview.com they have a nice car audio forum.

bullion
07-24-2004, 04:03 PM
What are your opinions on the following subs:

Athena P400
Klipsch KSW-12
Polk PSW303

I realize some of those subs cost more than $300, but disgregard price and let me know which one you think is the best. Thanks

This Guy
07-24-2004, 05:42 PM
The Klipsch. But the ones listed earlier like the partsexpress.com or adire rava will probably blow eithe rof them away. Why are you sticking to subs at best buy and circuit city?

bullion
07-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Because I work at Best Buy and get things at 5% over cost.....so that Klipsch sub only costs me like $280 and the Athena P400 only costs me $180

KRiTiKaL
07-25-2004, 05:43 PM
In that case go with 2 of the tightest of the 12" subs. But I just got my Rava tuned up and it is SOLID!! with a capital BASS!! I cant look at it and hear it, transparent. As long as your not pushing full potential, look for a solid bass and clean transparency(not boomy). Thats only my opinion from my personal experience. Its like night and day when you get a good sub.

bullion
07-25-2004, 06:45 PM
What do you mean "In that case go with 2 of the tightest of the 12" subs." What sub are you recommending.....

KRiTiKaL
07-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Im recommending which ever has the tightest bass of the 12" subs. Its all up to your ear. Which one is the heaviest? How big is your room? Listen to your concious!

Jim Clark
07-26-2004, 07:16 AM
What are your opinions on the following subs:

Athena P400
Klipsch KSW-12
Polk PSW303

I realize some of those subs cost more than $300, but disgregard price and let me know which one you think is the best. Thanks

My opinions of those subs:

Athena-not favorable at all.

Polk-can't say I've ever listened to it in any environment.

Klipsch-That model has been around for a very long time. When it was first introduced it was almost universally revered as a big time sub for a very modest price. The reviews on this site will back that up. Then somewhere along the line a couple of years later defective units started showing up right and left. Hums, pops, dead units, and an assortment of ailments. These problems have been cited here in the review section, posts, and also detailed on the Klipsch forums. I don't know what happened but clearly something was changed. That's been a while ago at this point and I am not familiar with the current state of the model but it's worth investigating. I guess I'm saying that I'd make darn sure of your employee return options before going this route.

Good luck,
jc

bullion
07-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Best Buy has a 30 day return policy and I would also get the 5 year service plan so if the sub did decide to act up down the road it would be fixed or replaced at Best Buy's expense. I am thinking I will give the KSW-12 a try

bullion
07-28-2004, 11:58 PM
I bought the KSW-12 less than 3 days ago and I have to say it sucks big time. The bass is way too boomy, inaccurate, the components inside the enclosure rattled, and just overall did not produce bass the way it should be heard. I only paid $286 for the sub and still felt like I should be getting a lot more for my money. I ended up buying the Athena P400 and I have to say it is an awesome sub. I previously had the P300 but it just couldn't compete with my dual 10"s (in my main speakers), but the P400 compliments my system perfectly and costed me even less money.

KRiTiKaL
07-29-2004, 12:09 PM
gj buddy, many happy years to you!

This Guy
07-29-2004, 03:42 PM
yo Kritikal, how you liking that rava?

KRiTiKaL
07-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Its SOLID! I just had to turn up sub level on stereo and it gets all the lows I need. I set it by ear, so far it proves that it will break my window if I cared to. I am in a sheetrocked n linoleum room(working on an alternative)and on say Hellboy it just shakes everything. There was an ocean scene in this movie that was on(cant think of name)huge swell and crash, truely perfect for my needs. Btw. I am running the Rava with Dr. Hsus Ventriloquist system, it is clear, crisp, and will go as loud as I want without being shrill. Anyway thanks for asking Its a quality sub. I'll prob be talking to you on here sometime. Take care.

twwesn
08-11-2004, 01:42 PM
I just looked online at J&R.com and found the same sub I bought (the Velodyne CHT-10) for $169 not including shipping (which should run around $50). I have had mine for 3 months and love it, for the price it's a steal.

Bryan
08-12-2004, 04:54 AM
Look around for a used sub. May be able to find a Rava or HSU VTF-2 for just over $300. SVS will have a new sub in the sub-$400 range sometime in the next month or two.