So what's your 4 current fave listens??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what's your 4 current fave listens???

Mike
07-22-2004, 04:46 AM
nothing totally groundbreaking in fact thinking about it they are all mostly from last year I guess it takes time for albums to sink in with me. Anyway here's mine

Snow Patrol - Final Straw, chock full of great sounding indie pop tunes

The Thorns - The Thorns, a lesson in 70s retro soft acoustic rock, think of Crosby Stills meets America, the album lacks a couple of killer tracks but it's still good especially the all acoustic version of the album.

The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart, still one of my favourite albums of last year love that New Order/Strokes rhythm influenced sound.

The Killers - Hot Fuss, very similar to The Stills but vocally a bit weaker, still good though

But now after receiving comps from Davey and Swish (thanks Swish got the comps this morning some great stuff to digest) I want to hear more of Modest Mouse, Mclusky, Les Savy and The Wrens

Cheers
Mike

Jim Clark
07-22-2004, 06:49 AM
That Snow Patrol disc is hands down my favorite of the year. My initial reaction wasn't very favorable to be honest. After letting it sit on the shelf a few weeks I decided to spin it again. By about the third listen I was hooked. I'll be playing it as I make my way to Scout camp later this morning. As an aside, if you are the member expecting a package from me soon, you'll get a chance to hear it. Mailed this morning-finally!

Others would probably include Felix Da Housecat's Devin Dazzle and the Neon Fever and Air's Talkie Walkie, which is expectional. It's just hard finding right time to play that last one. Also grabbed a CD by a band that's actually called Meow Meow. Their CD is titled an almost equally head scratching "snow gas bones". Most songs are very good and these boys like their distortion-big time. All in all a terrific album for those that like their indie rock with a touch of power pop thrown in for good measure.

jc

nobody
07-22-2004, 06:49 AM
I guess my current top four would include some older jazz since I've been heavily leaning in that direction lately. So...I'll toss out the two that have seen the most time on the turntable...

<b>Monk's Dream</b>
&
<b>Horace Silver: Song for My Father</b>

I've also been listening to the <b>Streets: A Grand Don't Come for Free</b> and think it's probably my favorite new release these days.

And...to round thing off with another release IU've been playing a lot, I'll go with <b>The Congos: Heart of the Congos</b>.

That's just a bit of what I've been digging lately. I'm sure it will change real soon. With the weekend coming up, there's bound to be something more rockin' creeping in there. I'm hoping the new Hives will help me out there if the shop has it when I stop off after work.

MindGoneHaywire
07-22-2004, 07:07 AM
I liked the Snow Patrol a lot when I first heard it but I have to get back to it. A lot of the new Britpop...it's good stuff, though a lot of it sounds similar. One that didn't stick out at first but sounded real good when I went back to it a couple days ago was Clearlake's Cedars album. Have spun that a couple more times since...good stuff.

Also, the Little Killers album, can't seem to stop playing it. Outstanding garage punk on the Crypt label. A little less garage-y is Welfare Problems, by a band called Randy. They have a slightly more streamlined sound, but not as smooth as the new punk bands, & plenty of Thunders-ish raunch. And I'm still playing the Asylum Street Spankers' Mercurial a lot. In a similar vein, I caught a set by a band called the Moonlighters a few weeks back, a free outdoor show...their singer, Bliss Blood, was in the Pain Teens, I think, and part of the rhythm section came from Helmet. Now they do Hawaiian jazz from the 30s. Go figure.

I've given the new Beastie Boys a couple more spins, and it's growing on me, but I just don't think it's all that great. It has its moments, and the single is great, but while it's not exactly tired, it doesn't strike me as being particularly inspired, either. Maybe I just expect too much from these guys after everything they've done that they would come up with a better rec after six years, and especially since it's only 42 minutes long, meaning it's not like they padded a rec into 70 minutes with all kinds of filler. Oh, well. Just got a few things that I haven't gotten a chance to listen to yet but I hope I like a little better--the Reverend Horton Heat's new album, the new Badly Drawn Boy, and a live Blasters reunion album. And I do have the Killers album, heard it once & thought it was good, but again, it sort of blends in with a bunch of other stuff & it'll take me a few more listens to sort it out & distinguish it from these other bands that I'm lumping it in with, probably unfairly. Oh, and I heard the new Cure record...somehow I've never managed to care enough about this band to investigate them much past their first singles collection, which came out almost 20 years ago now. It's...good. But for whatever reason I just never loved 'em, and I haven't heard anything they've done in, oh, 15 years now, and this record doesn't make me think I'm missing anything terrific. And lastly, I've given the Streets a couple more spins & wish I liked the Beastie Boys as much as I like this one, which is way better than their first album to my ears...I thought that record was ridiculously overrated. This one doesn't touch most of the Beasties' work, but 5 Boroughs is definitely a step down.

I guess this post became about more than just 4 CDs but the Tuesday thread wasn't exactly itself this week, now, was it? Well, I'm not myself, either, so don't mind me. Anyone hear anything about Beck making another record with the Dust Brothers?

Dusty Chalk
07-22-2004, 07:43 AM
Boom Bip - corymb -- typical Ghostly International type release...except it's not on Ghostly International. And check this out: it's practically a who's who of current electronica doing the remixing: Boards of Canada (I'm actually least impressed with their remix, though it's not bad, it just doesn't have that BoC moodiness that I hear on their original material), Venetian Snares (!), clouddead, Lali Puna, Four Tet, and Mogwai. The best material is the Peel Sessions.

I'm also enjoying Davey's Half Gone mixtape. :o ;) On the strength of this, I'll probably be picking up every single album from which that compilation is culled. I already have several, have since picked up Ghost. Yes, it's that good.

Múm - Súmmer Make Good -- could be their best yet. Very strong outing by these guys. I still dig Please Smile My Noise Bleed though.

Festa - La Spagna -- baroque. No, seriously. Not exactly the virtuoso type music I'm usually expecting when I'm in the mood for classical, but this is so delightfully moody that I can't resist listening to it repeatedly (available on SACD, but I've been listening to the CD layer on my new CD player). The funny thing is, it's basically the same piece over and over again. 32 variations on a (short) theme (2 or so minutes). But it's got just the right mix to keep my interest. The man really is the master of variations.

mad rhetorik
07-22-2004, 07:59 AM
My four faves aren't recent releases but damn if they're not great albums. 1st on that list would have to be In Flames' <b>Colony</b>; this is my first Gothenburg metal album (though I've sampled some other stuff from the scene, like At The Gates and Arch Enemy), and while it's not my favorite metal record of all time I can't stop playing it. Just great Iron Maiden-inspired metal with harsh vocals (though not growly) and addictive melodies. I definitely look forward to buying <b>Clayman</b>.

2nd is Portishead's <b>Dummy</b>. I owned a burned copy of this disc a while back but somehow managed to lose it (along with, ironically enough, an In Flames comp and a few other things). I liked what I heard enough to buy the real thing. It's really effective at establishing that moody "noir" atmosphere, probably better than any other trip-hop album out there. "Strangers" really fits for those long, dark city nights.

3rd is Kyuss' <b>Blues For The Red Sun</b>. I bought this album when I was on a Queens Of The Stone Age trip (I bought both <b>Songs For The Deaf</b> and <b>R</b>) and liked it at first, but now I'm spinning this album relentlessly. Great psychedelic stoner metal that evokes the feel of being stranded in the middle of Death Valley. It made me go out and buy <b>Welcome To Sky Valley</b>, which I also love but I enjoy <b>Blues For The Red Sun</b> more for some reason.

4th on my list would be Talk Talk's <b>Laughing Stock</b>. One of the most unique albums I've ever heard anywhere. It predates the current trend of "post-rock" bands like Tortoise, Godspeed You Black Emperor, and Sigur Ros by over a decade. Very beautiful, spiritual, sad yet also uplifting music with fascinating use of instrumentation.

On a more recent note, I recently received Slosh's McClusky/Les Savy Fav split and <b>Alternative To What?</b> two-disc comp. I love the McClusky/Les Savy Fav split--in fact last night I listened to it four times in a row. Can't remember the last time I've ever dug a comp so much (including my own). The McClusky songs are freakin' awesome. Hilarious f<a>uck-all lyrics ("My band is better than your band/we take more drugs than a touring funk band, sing it!"), great scream-along vocals, guitarwork that is like Joey Santiago on amphetamines, and catchy melodies hidden under lots of abrasion. Sweet. I also love the Les Savy Fav songs--highly quirky post-punk, kind of a cross between Fugazi and At The Drive-In (good thing I dig both bands). "Asleeper's Union," "Meet Me In The Dollar Bin," "The Sweat Descends".. oh man is this awesome. Thanks Sloshy for sending me both comps.

Also got Troy's <b>Garage Band II: The Van Allen Belt</b>. I dig this. It's more cohesive than the first one. Lots of neat sounds and the structures and odd time signatures remind me of Zappa. I can't remember any song titles right now, but I think track 5 (the one with the ocean sounds) is my fave right now. Thanks Troy. BTW, could you give me some details on the Garage Band program? I'd like to try composing my own stuff.

tentoze
07-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Only 3 jump out in my empty head right now, and I've already ranted about them more than anybody probably wanted, so the list (only):

Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter- Oh, My Girl
Willard Grant Conspiracy- Regard The End
Davendra Banhart- Rejoicing In The Hands

If these 3 ain't in the top 5 of my year's best of, there are going to be some astonishingly good new releases between now and Dec.

Davey
07-22-2004, 08:38 AM
I tend to burn out a lot of new releases by playing them into the ground and then don't go back to them until later, so I haven't been listening to much new stuff in the last few days, except for the Willard Grant Conspiracy <i>Regard The End</i> which I still love madly. Also I've been listening a lot to Joy Division <i>Unknown Pleasures</i> which I only recently bought. Another that's been getting some serious play time is one that made an appearance on my Season's Greetings 2003 year-end comp, Calla <i>Televise</i>. Very, very nice album that kind of goes along with the dark and brooding sound of the other two - must be where my mind is at right now....

<i><font size=-1>It's like you said
Just like you said
I'll hold my breath for you instead
But don't count on it.

If I could tell you I would
If I could hold you I would
I should have told you I could

All I know is I thought I saw you crawl back for more</font></i>

But on a happier (and probably healthier :)) note, I played a lot of Yo La Tengo <i>Electr-o-pura</i>, as I seem to do most weeks. Might be my most oft played CD in the last few years. And most loved. Like air and water.....

<i><font size=-1>Out of darkness
You will come around
I know you will
I know you will
And I'll find you
And I'll find you there
And I'll ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ....
</font></i>

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

-Jar-
07-22-2004, 08:59 AM
My four faves aren't recent releases but damn if they're not great albums. 1st on that list would have to be In Flames' <b>Colony</b>; this is my first Gothenburg metal album (though I've sampled some other stuff from the scene, like At The Gates and Arch Enemy), and while it's not my favorite metal record of all time I can't stop playing it. Just great Iron Maiden-inspired metal with harsh vocals (though not growly) and addictive melodies. I definitely look forward to buying <b>Clayman</b>.

2nd is Portishead's <b>Dummy</b>. I owned a burned copy of this disc a while back but somehow managed to lose it (along with, ironically enough, an In Flames comp and a few other things). I liked what I heard enough to buy the real thing. It's really effective at establishing that moody "noir" atmosphere, probably better than any other trip-hop album out there. "Strangers" really fits for those long, dark city nights.

3rd is Kyuss' <b>Blues For The Red Sun</b>. I bought this album when I was on a Queens Of The Stone Age trip (I bought both <b>Songs For The Deaf</b> and <b>R</b>) and liked it at first, but now I'm spinning this album relentlessly. Great psychedelic stoner metal that evokes the feel of being stranded in the middle of Death Valley. It made me go out and buy <b>Welcome To Sky Valley</b>, which I also love but I enjoy <b>Blues For The Red Sun</b> more for some reason.

4th on my list would be Talk Talk's <b>Laughing Stock</b>. One of the most unique albums I've ever heard anywhere. It predates the current trend of "post-rock" bands like Tortoise, Godspeed You Black Emperor, and Sigur Ros by over a decade. Very beautiful, spiritual, sad yet also uplifting music with fascinating use of instrumentation.

I've been sadly missing my copies of BLUES and SKY VALLEY for over 2 years now. This was because I loaned them and the loanee lost them. Sad. However, sometimes it's nice to step away from an album for a while.. ya know? I must say that those were two of my most-played cd's from about 1995 to 2000. I remember I had to TELNET (yes, TELNET) into CDnow to order those albums. I also did the same to pick up some rare reggae and an MBV single I didn't have. Those were the days. TELNET I SAID.. Muahhaha..

I think it's about time I pick up SKY VALLEY (again).. I miss that album. I still have their first album WRETCH.. it's very weird, not much like their later stuff.. and the production is pretty bizarre.. almost liquid.. very difficult to describe.. doesn't fit the music at all.. WHEN THE CIRCUS LEAVES TOWN is decent.. a couple tracks stand out ("One Inch Man" has this sort of Buzzcocks vibe to it.. and "Phototropic" is pretty trippy). but I wouldn't consider it a must-have. There's also a Kyuss/Queens of the Stone Age split.. worth having too, if nothing else for their cover of Sabbath's "Into The Void". And another cd you might want to check out.. a 4-song ep by a band called Slo Burn.. which was John Garcia's short-lived band that he formed right after Kyuss broke up. Very heavy, definately worth searching out, check the used bins. He's now in a band called Unida, but I've only heard a few tracks here and there.. I'm very disconnected from the whole stoner rock scene.. there's literally dozens of bands doing this kind of stuff right now.. I can't keep up. I keep going back to my old Monster Magnet and Nebula stuff. I kind of got tired of Fu Manchu.. they rock for sure, but are kind of one-dimentional. At least with Monster Magnet you get some variety. Lowrider is a decent band that does a really good Kyuss immitation. It would be easy to simply dismiss them as clones, but they rock really hard, so I dig 'em.

As for the Talk Talk.. well... get yer hands on a copy of Bark Psychosis' HEX album. Definately the bridge between LAUGHING STOCK and those other post-rock bands you mentioned. Maybe I'll get it in yer hands for you. It's that good. They have a new album coming out soon too! (yes, it's been almost 10 years between albums.. heh).

-jar

richmon
07-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Lot's of new discs recently, what's grabbed my ear the hardest:
Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom' - from 1974, just after he was paralized from a fall. Unclassafiable, folky, whimsical, prog rock, world jazz style, the disc sucks you in and holds you till the end. Great songwriting, will be getting more of his stuff, prolly the current one -Cuckooland. Recently re-released after being outofprint for a few years.
Seven Reuzh 'Strinkadenn ys' - the standout from the 15 or so new discs I got. Celtic Prog Rock style, enchanting female vox, tasty guitar playing, it's got it all going on.
Djam Karet 'A night for Baku' - great california band, a bit on the furious side, reminds distantly of King Crim's Red if you need a label. Must get more of their catalog, impressive.
Anekdoten 'Gravity' - along with PTree, one of my favorite bands from the last ten years, this is probably their best so far. Aggressive Viking progressive.
And last but not least, Troy's 'Van Allen Belt' - one listen impressions were postitive, especially liked song #7- '2 of 3'. Some of the tunes remind me of one of my favorite movies soundtrack 'Liquid Sky'. Sounds like Mr Paiva's having a blast with this, wonder if his livelyhood is sidetracked due to the addictive new toy? Zappaesque song titles.
Off Topic-- just got a job after 5 months of searching, now the brakes can come off my CD buying! Yippee! Will have to move to Baltimore, which seems like a pretty cool town tho.

Davey
07-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Lot's of new discs recently, what's grabbed my ear the hardest:
Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom' - from 1974, just after he was paralized from a fall. Unclassafiable, folky, whimsical, prog rock, world jazz style, the disc sucks you in and holds you till the end. Great songwriting, will be getting more of his stuff, prolly the current one -Cuckooland.
Hey, congrats on the new job and hope the move works out for you. Seems like a bunch of us are moving lately. Fun to see new places.

Rock Bottom is a gem. I made a post not too long ago about it as well at http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=4837 but I still haven't heard Cuckooland. Gotten lots of great reviews. Shleep is another favorite of mine, especially if you're a big Brian Eno fan like me.

NP: The Lilac Time: Looking For A Day In the Night - Forgot what a nice CD this one is. Got that beautifully endearing English country-folk-pop sound that makes everything seem like it'll be OK no matter what's going on....like the first flower of spring (as somebody at amazon says). Lots of pedal steel and banjo but it ain't no hillbilly music. Gotta get this one back in regular rotation.

mad rhetorik
07-22-2004, 10:14 AM
As for the Talk Talk.. well... get yer hands on a copy of Bark Psychosis' HEX album. Definately the bridge between LAUGHING STOCK and those other post-rock bands you mentioned. Maybe I'll get it in yer hands for you. It's that good. They have a new album coming out soon too! (yes, it's been almost 10 years between albums.. heh).

Sure! Hit me with it if you don't mind. If there's anything I can give you for it in return don't be afraid to ask.

Davey
07-22-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm also enjoying Davey's Half Gone mixtape. :o ;) On the strength of this, I'll probably be picking up every single album from which that compilation is culled.
Yikes, you're a maniac! Hehehe, I didn't see that at first glance but I haven't even bought all the albums "from which that compilation is culled". Culling for comps? Hey, I like that! Have to add it to my mental notebook.

On a completely different topic, I've got the Mothman Prophecies DVD awaiting my pickup at the library and know you talked about the cool King Black Acid songs on the soundtrack, but did you actually see the movie too and if so, how is it? No synopsis required and hold the spoilers since I am gonna watch it, just curious whether you liked it or not.

DariusNYC
07-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose: Her vocals are so good on this one it's unbelievable. And a great bunch of songs. This one is moving into my tops of the year.

Jay Z - The Black Album: I've been listening to this one on shuffle every morning as I'm stretching after my morning run and then getting ready for work. My favorite song on this one changes every week. Currently it's the Kanye West-produced "Lucifer", which was used to excellent effect during the closing credits of the premiere of HBO's new series "Entourage".

Wilco - A Ghost is Born: This one continues to have a stong pull on me. It's a weird one though; very different from song to song.

Prince - 1999. Pulled this back out recently after seeing Prince live last Monday. I can't get enough of "Lady Cab Driver". By the way, I second everything Worf said about the Prince show he saw; Prince was just an amazing performer, the audience was going nuts, and I was reminded what a great guitar player he was; what a fun time!

Davey
07-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah, how could I forget to mention the only new thing I've bought lately!?!? Carina Round! The Disconnection! This English girl knows how to rock, kind of like early PJ Harvey circa Dry, especially on the single "Into My Blood". But also with traces of a cabaret style at times like that single from the Dresden Dolls. Maybe a touch of Fiona Apple. But mostly just solid, passionate rock. I've been listening to this alot. She's even getting MTV play from what I hear. Miracles never cease when you have Interscope big bucks behind you, although she doesn't seem to be getting much promotion which is refreshing in a way. One of those nice price CDs too at under ten smacks locally (under 7 smacks online). I'm pretty sure this one will crash with wild abandon into my top 10 this year.

<i>I wait all my life
just for the rush
the passing of fire
into my blood</i>

Nice review at the easy-to-hate new AMG site so I'll put a sock in it for now. US front cover below...UK front cover is the back cover in US.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg200/g248/g24810xtnhs.jpg

Slosh
07-22-2004, 03:06 PM
I haven't got much new this year and this bb becomes kinda boring to me when there's nothing new to crow about ;)

Wilco's new one is definitely a grower. I knew that from release day. . . and it's seriously starting to seep in now. Usually the stuff I like right off the bat becomes tiresome in short order so this is a good sign for A Ghost Is Born :) Oh, and man am I glad my CD player has a delete memory function for track 12! I've also been spinning Richard Davies' Telegraph a lot these last several weeks. It makes for a nice companion right after playing Wilco. A shame that this album is so hard to find (at least in my locale).

A good friend of mine recently separated from his long time, might-as-well-be-wife girlfriend and to make ends easier to meet got a roommate for a while. Now my friend plays guitar and drums and the new roomie is quite a good guitar/bass player as well and my friend's been getting him into Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On. This is one of my favorites so I'm glad to hear if being spun at other peoples' houses for a change :) They've managed to pick up on quite a few of the riffs and "I Would Hurt A Fly" sounds great on acoustic guitar.

The new McLusky is great but I've found I like it a whole lot more in bits and pieces. There are only a few songs I don't care for, which seems to be par-for-the-course for me and McLusky, but the sequencing just doesn't work IMO. Those stop/start type songs kinda mess up the flow of the album. Just 'cause Albini recorded it it doesn't make them Shellac.

And just about everyone I come across on a regular basis IRL loves Les Savy Fav - Inches, even some that say they don't like punk :o

NP: a pity spin for Davey's Half Gone 2004 :p (just kidding!, but I am really listening right now)

Whooptee
07-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Here's four that I've been playing the heck out of:

Rogue Wave - Out of the Shadows - A summery, blissfully sweet piece of pop perfection. Reminiscent of another current favorite, the Shins, who they just happen to be touring with.

The Icarus Line - Penance Soiree - Sort of in the vein of Drive Like Jehu, Rocket from the Crypt and At the Drive-In. Has that pretty noise sort of vibe that I like so much. Their last, Mono, was good, but this one is a large step up. I really like this.

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse - I saw them a couple of months ago at a nightclub in Dallas. It's a largish club, but a really nice place to see a show and these guys were absolutely magnificent. Then I saw them the other night on Kilborn playing "Unmade Bed". Killer song. I just love these guys and this is another great album.

Antietam - Victory Park - No instant gratification here. This is one of those difficult albums that rewards patience. At least for me, it's been a grower. Tara Key's guitar playing is as impressive as ever and I love the southern touched Yo La Tengo sound they do so well.

John

Slosh
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
I love the McLusky/Les Savy Fav split--in fact last night I listened to it four times in a row. Can't remember the last time I've ever dug a comp so much (including my own).

...don't give me that much credit. It was quickly thrown together it a half-a<a>ssed fashion so my brother (in Boston) could hear for himself whether or not he'd like these bands (he does). I didn't even include anything from McLusky's debut because my LP is such a noisy pressing. A shame 'cause there's lots of great songs omitted. Also, if this were a real comp I would have paid better attention to the sequencing, woulda killed the in-between-track silence, and woulda level matched to 0 dB (but I never compress).

Same is true of the other comp. A cousin I haven't seen in years made the mistake of asking me what kind of music I like ;) Those were all songs I can't seem to get off my hard drive so that comp was whipped together in no time as well.

I guess they served their purpose, though :)

NP: The Dismemberment Plan Is Terrified

Davey
07-22-2004, 04:24 PM
...and woulda level matched to 0 dB (but I never compress).
Just a bit of digital mastering trivia, although it is seldom done anymore, for best sound quality you need to reserve about 3dB for the peaks. CD should never be mastered at 0dB since the samples are usually not at the peaks of the waveform and the decoded signal will be distorted on most players that aren't designed to properly handle what is commonly known as <i>intersample peaking</i>.

Of course it doesn't matter much anymore since even many of the "audiophile" labels are compressing and maximizing their CDs and ignoring good mastering practices :(

PS: Thanks for the pity listen :)

Slosh
07-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Just a bit of digital mastering trivia, although it is seldom done anymore, for best sound quality you need to reserve about 3dB for the peaks. CD should never be mastered at 0dB since the samples are usually not at the peaks of the waveform and the decoded signal will be distorted on most players...

That's exactly why I level match on my standalone (on a R/W) since 0 dB is actually 0 dB and is only the peak. I never use compression because my burner software doesn't do it very well, I guess. I have tried lowering heavily compressed songs by two or three dB (again, on the stand-alone) but if at all possible I've found it better to put a heavily compressed song next to the ones with more dynamic range only when the compressed song starts or ends with a longish fade. Of course, sometimes the flow is more important so that all goes out the window ;)

BTW, I have been meaning to give your Half Gone comp some public comment but I've been working 60+ hour weeks for the last fifteen goddamned weeks with no light at the end of the Chunnel :( Perhaps that's not such a bad thing as your comps often take me dozens of spins to fully absorb and I only have five or so distracted listens under my belt.

NP: Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Pat D
07-22-2004, 05:34 PM
It's been a somewhat strange couple of weeks in many respects, not the least with listening. We bought a number of LPs, tapes, and a CD from the local library in a fund raising program, so I have in fact listened to a variety of things. But to pick current favorites? That's a problem. Well, I have played these more than once or twice lately:

Beethoven, Symphony no. 6. Ansermet on London (LP), Leibowitz on Chesky, Boult on BBC. Right now I need to listen to some nice, bucolic music.

Peter, Paul, and Mary, Greatest Hits.

Diana Krall, Love Scenes. One can argue about how great an artist she forever, but I like to listen to her, very relaxing, and this is my favorite of her CDs.

Mozart, Symphony no. 41 (Jupiter). Leibowitz, Colin Davis, Pinnock, Hogwood, Pablo Casals.

I have been listening to a number of recordings of Beethoven's 5th Symphony because of that "favorite symphony" thread because everyone likes it. I like it well enough but it will never be my "favorite" symphony, even limited to Beethoven's symphonies. So, I've tried Karajan, Leibowitz, Carlos Kleiber (who just died July 13), Ansermet, Rodzinski, The Hanover Band (on Nimbus), and Pierre Boulez (the only one I really didn't like, though my brother always loved it).

jasn
07-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I've been a complete lurker lately, but I will poke my head out to say I've been a bit obessed with the new releases by A. C. Newman and Ambulance Ltd.

Newman has been in constant rotation for over a week in my car. It's a total blast of great hooks circa 1970's. Each cut makes you forget how good the previous one was. Ambulance is down to earth guitar rock with excellent vocals. Reviews are pegging them as the next Interpol but I find them having even more depth.
I guess now I have to go and seek out the New Pornographers to find out more about Carl Newman. Any suggestions as to which one I should pick up first?

Dusty Chalk
07-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Yikes, you're a maniac!I said, "eventually" (and if I didn't, I meant to).
Hehehe, I didn't see that at first glance but I haven't even bought all the albums "from which that compilation is culled". Culling for comps? Hey, I like that! Have to add it to my mental notebook.Yes, I actually do use the word "cull" in real life. "Shows a working knowledge of the English language."
On a completely different topic, I've got the Mothman Prophecies DVD awaiting my pickup at the library and know you talked about the cool King Black Acid songs on the soundtrack, but did you actually see the movie too and if so, how is it? No synopsis required and hold the spoilers since I am gonna watch it, just curious whether you liked it or not.Alright, I'll try to restrain myself, but yes, excellent, excellent film. Please do bring it up again (in a spoilers thread) after you've watched it, because I do want to talk to someone about that movie, and no-one else I know has seen it.

And the soundtrack is excellent, too, even treated as a separate entity. Plus, it's two disks for the price of one. Highly recommended, also.

And funny that Jar should mention Bark Psychosis, I'm listening to Replay right now. Great psych/jam/shoegaze noise-fest. I can definitely see why you (Jar, that is, not Davey) would like both them and God Machine.

tentoze
07-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I picked up the latest New Pornographers release, Electric Version, a couple of weeks before I got an eval copy of A. C. Newman's solo effort. Hard not to like anything that has Neko Case singing, but I'd give the nod to the solo effort- it has a fine dose of pop hooks, and jangles in the right places for me. The NP disc is good, but there's a.....hmmm...lack of commitment to the songs, somehow. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with NP's earlier catalog, so I can't speak to anything before Electric Version. BTW, jasn, good to see you poke yr head up.

;)

I've been a complete lurker lately, but I will poke my head out to say I've been a bit obessed with the new releases by A. C. Newman and Ambulance Ltd.

Newman has been in constant rotation for over a week in my car. It's a total blast of great hooks circa 1970's. Each cut makes you forget how good the previous one was. Ambulance is down to earth guitar rock with excellent vocals. Reviews are pegging them as the next Interpol but I find them having even more depth.
I guess now I have to go and seek out the New Pornographers to find out more about Carl Newman. Any suggestions as to which one I should pick up first?

kexodusc
07-23-2004, 07:15 AM
In no particular order:

1) Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence: Not their best album by any means but this band is something else...

2) Carl Orff - Carmina Burana - Deutsche Grammophon, Conducted by Eugen Jochum: Very dramatic, just finally looked at the insert and the lyrics are all translated to english. Cool!

3) B.B. King - Live at the Regal: Best live blues album EVER!!!

4) Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk: Less experimenting combined with her best song-writing in years makes this a very good listen.

-Jar-
07-23-2004, 07:25 AM
2) Carl Orff - Carmina Burana - Deutsche Grammophon, Conducted by Eugen Jochum: Very dramatic, just finally looked at the insert and the lyrics are all translated to english. Cool!

Excellent! You definately have a winner there.. one of the best Carmina Buranas out there.. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau is hands down my favorite baritone.. he's great here.. and the tenor Stoltze's roasted swan done in falsetto adds just the right feel. Man, if you haven't read along with the lyrics to this you aren't getting the full effect. The whole tavern section is amazing. Enjoy!

-jar

Davey
07-23-2004, 07:42 AM
That's exactly why I level match on my standalone (on a R/W) since 0 dB is actually 0 dB and is only the peak.
I don't really understand the difference but probably not worth getting into big discussion over. My point was that if you wind up with a CD that has "digital peaks" that reach 0db (or 100% depending on software) then they will be distorted on most playback systems that use a digital filter (almost all players) because the reconstructed "analog peak" will be higher and the digital filter/DAC isn't designed to handle signals above 0dB. There are plug-ins for ProTools that allow you to properly set the level to avoid intersample peaking above 0dB, but I don't think most people use them.

I am curious about the standalone level adjustment - if set to 0dB does the copy have the exact same level as the source? Or can you make it louder? Because if you level match using your standalone I assume you are making some of the songs louder, which almost always means compression, yet you say you never use compression?

Dusty Chalk
07-23-2004, 09:02 AM
...you are making some of the songs louder, which almost always means compression...No it doesn't. Can't you just turn it up? Like the opposite of attenuate ("amplify"?). Just multiply all the amplitude values by some constant amount.

Davey
07-23-2004, 09:24 AM
No it doesn't. Can't you just turn it up? Like the opposite of attenuate ("amplify"?). Just multiply all the amplitude values by some constant amount.
Well, you can in the analog world until you run out of headroom by saturating the tape or clipping the amp or whatever, but like we were talking about, most CDs are already mastered with the peak digital level maximized, and more often than not these days this is done after the application of lots of compression. But even "old" CDs were often mastered with the peaks set at or near digital max (0dB) so how can you make it louder without compression. And if working with an analog input, on the A/D side each bit level can be viewed as having a set threshold (ignoring for the moment that nearly all A/D convertors are oversampling delta-sigma designs nowadays using only a few bits) and so you have a maximum input level before compression would need to be applied.

Resident Loser
07-23-2004, 09:28 AM
of a Vienna Strauss New Years concert, which I had also seen on the teevee, was conducted by Carlos Kleiber...I'm sorry to hear of his passing...an odd bit of business at the podium, but he seemed to really enjoy it all...my wife and I have watched the ensuing editions every year since...

My current faves are "Gone Just Like A Train" by Bill Frizell, a Jazz Heritage recording of Lionel Hampton, the name of which escapes me at the moment, "Church In The Wildwood" on Cumberland Records and my all time fave zone-out piece "Canyon Trilogy" by R. Carlos Nakai...

jimHJJ(...and just about anything from Lyle Lovett...)

Slosh
07-23-2004, 02:27 PM
My standalone allows you to increase/decrease digital sources while still in digital domain in 1 dB steps. So I just watch the level meters and make sure no peaks go beyond digital full scale (or 0 dB if you like). So if I'm boosting a song by, say 3 dB, everything, noise floor and all gets a 3 dB boost.

But even "old" CDs were often mastered with the peaks set at or near digital max (0dB) so how can you make it louder without compression.

Yes, but often you'll find songs within an album with lower peaks so on a track by track basis you can have many songs which never even come close to peaking at DFS while some others do (most first edition Elvis Costello and Neil Young CDs come to mind.)

I pretty much only use the standalone for non-CD sources but sometimes it's nice to use when you want to fade, combine tracks, edit silence, and such. Sure, I can do all that on the PC but not all in one step and I can't monitor it on the fly. Maybe all those years of making cassette mixes made me stuck in my ways ;)

NP: Spoon - A Series Of Sneaks

Davey
07-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Yes, but often you'll find songs within an album with lower peaks so on a track by track basis you can have many songs which never even come close to peaking at DFS while some others do...
Ah, I see what you mean. Seems the ones I choose are just about always there already so I have to crank the compression way up to get em any louder. But that's true, they used to master whole albums, not just the individual songs, so there is sometimes room to bump up the level of a song.

I remember a recent example of that was the La's CD from the early 90s. They released a remaster a couple years ago that I picked up and it sounded significantly better overall even though it was a little louder. But there didn't seem to be the usual telltale signs of compression like the annoying punchiness and edginess of much modern music and remasters, so I checked out the original and it was like you said, only a couple of the songs had peaks that hit the max and most were well below that, so to make it louder they only had to compress those couple songs. Still, it would've been nice if the market didn't force them to do even that minimal amount of compression, but I guess there isn't much incentive now to do a remaster unless it's made to sound "modern". I pretty much quit buying any CD remasters since they're almost always disappointing to me sonically. Lots of those early CDs that people so often malign actually sound pretty good to me when compared to the remasters :)

So when's the last time you used Elvis Costello or Neil Young on a comp? I'm gonna have to pay more attention. Hmmmm, I guess you do often sneak one or two old oldies on your comps, now that I think about it......

Davey
07-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Alright, I'll try to restrain myself, but yes, excellent, excellent film. Please do bring it up again (in a spoilers thread) after you've watched it, because I do want to talk to someone about that movie, and no-one else I know has seen it.
I watched it last night and it was very good, although it felt kind of like I was watching a good episode of the X-Files. It does really draw you in and I think the music is a big part of the feel. I'm gonna watch it agian tonight cause I have the sense that I didn't absorb it all. Definitely one of the better roles I've seen Richard Gere in although I was kinda glad to see Deborah Messing exit early as she isn't one of my favorites. It's got a very cool feel to it but kind of left me wondering......hmmm, did I like it or not. Guess I must've if I'm gonna watch it again :)

Dusty Chalk
07-25-2004, 09:11 AM
I watched it last night and it was very good, although it felt kind of like I was watching a good episode of the X-Files. It does really draw you in and I think the music is a big part of the feel. I'm gonna watch it agian tonight cause I have the sense that I didn't absorb it all. Definitely one of the better roles I've seen Richard Gere in although I was kinda glad to see Deborah Messing exit early as she isn't one of my favorites. It's got a very cool feel to it but kind of left me wondering......hmmm, did I like it or not. Guess I must've if I'm gonna watch it again :)Alright, what I liked about it is that it was played like a horror movie, and yet it wasn't. Including the music.

Davey
07-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Alright, what I liked about it is that it was played like a horror movie, and yet it wasn't. Including the music.
Yeah, I liked it a lot more the second time and like you, I would now call it an excellent film. Lots I missed the first time through that made it more meaningful on second viewing and I could relax and enjoy more of those intricate visual details laced throughout the film. All those diagonally receding lights that morph into and out of the mothman outlines and the twin recurring red lights. I'm sure you probably never noticed but I have the movie on my computer so can go over it in detail if I like, and I was watching the opening sequence with credits, and after Debra Messing gets out of the shower and right before she puts on her lipstick, it shows the lipstick tube along with the music credit for tomanandy, and if you look close at the lipstick tube the credit is reflected on it too. Almost like an afterimage. Kinda crazy, but also kinda fun :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/moth.gif

I still maintain that this might be the best thing I've seen Gere in. I thought he was great in the role, and the whole movie was played in a very understated way. Many things left kind of mysterious along the way, but I liked that. I also liked that people didn't make a bunch of unbelievable intuitive leaps like what normally seems to happen in movies. Gere's character and the rest of the cast don't know what's going on any more than the rest of us viewing it, and that gives it a much more believable feel. And adds to that horror movie feel. Definitely recommended, although I would also recommend at least two viewings.

Slosh
07-25-2004, 03:05 PM
I still maintain that this might be the best thing I've seen Gere in.

By no stretch am I a fan of Gere and while Mothman was pretty good, Red Corner was by far the best movie he's been in, IMO.

Nothing to do whatsoever with Dicky Gere, but if you don't mind low-brow comedy Bad Santa was crassly amusing. Those Coen brothers manage to make films that hold my interest even when I'm not very interested in the subject matter at hand and that's pretty impressive.

~Slosh - having an extremely weird weekend

Dusty Chalk
07-25-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm sure you probably never noticed but I have the movie on my computer so can go over it in detail if I like, and I was watching the opening sequence with credits, and after Debra Messing gets out of the shower and right before she puts on her lipstick, it shows the lipstick tube along with the music credit for tomanandy, and if you look close at the lipstick tube the credit is reflected on it too. Almost like an afterimage. Kinda crazy, but also kinda fun :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/moth.gifCool! Thanks for pointing it out, you're right, I didn't notice, and it's exactly that attention to detail that I like so much in the movies that I love. Of course, the reflection is facing the wrong direction...but then again, I'm going on a still image, so don't know if that may have "worked" in the moving picture version.
I still maintain that this might be the best thing I've seen Gere in.Certainly the best thing I have seen him, Slosh's other mention notwithstanding (haven't seen it).
Many things left kind of mysterious along the way, but I liked that. I also liked that people didn't make a bunch of unbelievable intuitive leaps like what normally seems to happen in movies. Gere's character and the rest of the cast don't know what's going on any more than the rest of us viewing it, and that gives it a much more believable feel.(nods violently) Yes, exactly!

Davey
07-25-2004, 07:05 PM
By no stretch am I a fan of Gere and while Mothman was pretty good, Red Corner was by far the best movie he's been in, IMO.
Red Corner, eh? I think that one woulda been better with Steven Seagal. Just kidding, I haven't seen it in a few years and I'll admit that my opinion might be more favorable today, but I think that is one of the Gere "performances" that made Mothman so surprisingly good for me. The sex in the beginning of Red Corner is fun (if not a bit cliche) along with some of the early trial scenes, but I don't remember much after that. Mothman Prophecies had me nailed to the sofa and was much more intriguing...and ultimately better to me. Totally subjective though, just like the music :)

Of course, the reflection is facing the wrong direction...
Yeah, in this case what I meant by "reflected on" was just that it also showed up on the lipstick. I assumed it to be a link and precursor to that ghost image that Gere feels throughout the movie, the sense that the mothman is near. And in retrospect, we know that he has just been contacted on the phone by that very same mothman and that Messing will soon die as a result of the contact. Or the attempted contact was a warning. Or whatever....I'm still not too clear about the beginning.

MasterCylinder
07-26-2004, 05:37 AM
1) Dream Theater -- TRAIN OF THOUGHT
2) IQ -- DARK MATTER
3) IQ -- SEVENTH HOUSE
4) Porky Tree -- IN ABSENTIA

Davey
07-26-2004, 08:06 AM
... get yer hands on a copy of Bark Psychosis' HEX album. Definately the bridge between LAUGHING STOCK and those other post-rock bands you mentioned. Maybe I'll get it in yer hands for you. It's that good. They have a new album coming out soon too! (yes, it's been almost 10 years between albums.. heh).
Yea, finally! The new one is supposed to be out today. Apparently three different versions too, standard CD, ltd. edition digipak CD, ltd. edition 180 gm vinyl. On Fire Records. Just saw the very nice review posted today at Stylus as their album of the week (http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=2186). Makes me want it even badder! Closing paragraph from the review....

///Codename: Dustsucker has been a long time coming (it seems an age since its existence was first even rumoured) and it will not please everyone because it is not a simple relation of Hex. But taken on its own terms it is an outstanding record, multi-hued and consuming, concerned with invented realities and blurred lines in much the same way as Magritte’s pipe and Borges’ invented facts. Agonised, fearful, compelling, beautiful and measured with infinite precision and chaos, ///: is close to miraculous.

whitese
07-28-2004, 11:22 AM
My current favs are:

Richard Thompson's Mock Tudor LP, and This Old Kit Bag...sensational stuff,,and great lyrics of course, but mostly I love his use of upright acoustic bass.

The Yes Album LP....Love the old Squire sound..

JVC XRCD of Mussorgsky's Pix at an Exhibition

Mercury Living Presence Wellington's Victory, Dorati rules that piece!

Chip_B
07-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Just got a few things that I haven't gotten a chance to listen to yet but I hope I like a little better--the Reverend Horton Heat's new album, the new Badly Drawn Boy, and a live Blasters reunion album.
J, have you heard the Blasters' superb boxed set ('Testament - The Complete Slash Recordings')? It's an excellent retrospective of their best work and includes 11 live cuts and seven tunes that were previously unissued.

Chip_B
07-28-2004, 11:54 AM
3) B.B. King - Live at the Regal: Best live blues album EVER!!!
I've been enjoying Live at the Regal for many, many years. I've seen critics refer to it as a 'must have' for any Blues fan and I have to agree that it's remarkable in every way. Though B.B. has become a bit too polished and far less interesting over the last 15 years or so, he was at his absolute peak when Regal was recorded. I don't think I've ever heard a performer so completely connected to his audience and few live albums in any genre are even close.

kexodusc
07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Got to agree, Chip_B, poor ol' B.B. is starting to slow down as he ages, but the man is still worth every penny. If you haven't seen any of his DVD concerts, I recommend you do. "The Jazz Channel Presents B.B. King" in particular is excellent. Had the fortune of seeing him live for the first time earlier last year.

BTW...cool avatar!!! Is there a story behind that?

Chip_B
07-29-2004, 03:46 AM
Got to agree, Chip_B, poor ol' B.B. is starting to slow down as he ages, but the man is still worth every penny. If you haven't seen any of his DVD concerts, I recommend you do. "The Jazz Channel Presents B.B. King" in particular is excellent. Had the fortune of seeing him live for the first time earlier last year.

BTW...cool avatar!!! Is there a story behind that?
I saw B.B. at Wolf Trap in Vienna, VA around '97. The lineup that night was superb...Duke Robillaird opened, followed by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, and then Kenny Wayne Shepherd. B.B. had KWS come out and jam with him on 'The Thrill is Gone' near the end of the show and that was certainly one of the high points. Overall, B.B.'s set was good, but a bit too polished. There was no real sense of excitement or spontaneity until he brought Shepherd out. I actually enjoyed KWS' set a lot more. The best thing I saw all night was KWS doing Hendix' 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return)' as a cross between SRV's and Jimi's versions. He really nailed it.

As for the avatar, the pic was attached to an email joke that was making the rounds roughly a year ago. It was a visual punchline to what a football fan does when he has (1) too much time on his hands, (2) too much alchohol in his system, (3) a large lime, (4) a sharp knife, and (5) a really patient cat.

-Chip