In tune and on time. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In tune and on time.

chrisnz
07-21-2004, 08:48 PM
DJ Shadow - In Tune and on time. Live

This is a DVD and audio cd of a Shadow concert in London 2002. Unlike Product Placement and the earlier Brainfreeze this show features only Shadow's own music either solo or with collaborators like Quannum/Blackalicious/UNKLE.

It's a very elaborate production featuring a full synchronised video backdrop projected onto three large screens courtesy of an outfit called Mission Control.

Apart from the rather wooden interaction with the crowd Shadow pulls this off in grand style. Not content to rely on two turntables and a microphone he adds two CDJ's and an MPC 4000 sampler plus a bank of effects and proceeds to dimantle and rebuild a vast chunk of his back catalogue. The encore in particular where he puts You Can't Go Home Again/Midnight In A PerfectWorld/High Noon through the blender is simply a triumph.

This stuff just fascinates me.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/d/dj-shadow/live-in-tune-and-on-time.shtml

Try it, you just might be suprised.

Chris.

PS if any of you managed to get hold of or can maybe beg borrow or steal a copy of Diminishing Returns... only 1000 copies were made... I'd be yer buddy ferever.

nobody
07-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Yeah...I've been curious about that one. It's just that I've got most all the tracks on other releases, just not live versions, so I hesitate to grab it when there is other stuff I could pick up that I don't have at all. Then again, it sounds like the versions change things up enough to make it worth it. I'll probably greab it eventually. It'll just take some time.

mad rhetorik
07-22-2004, 08:43 AM
I've had DJ Shadow's <b>Endtroducing...</b> on my list for a while now.

chrisnz
07-22-2004, 11:14 PM
The original versions of the tracks are just the skeletons for some wild reworkings here and the new stuff stands quite happily on it's own merits.

I'm suprised you don't have any Shadow mad rhetorik, given your eclectic tastes, but maybe the more downtempo stuff's not your thing. Endtroducing's not a bad place to start... cultural milestone dude ;-)